Turkey Shoot Arcade Core Released

Xbytez
Site Admin

Turkey Shoot Arcade Core Released

Unread post by Xbytez »

Turkey Shoot - The Day They Took Over has been ported by birdybro to MiSTer, this core was originally written by darfpga, The original Turkey Shoot manufactured by Williams Electronics, Inc. released in 1984, with a production run of only around 450 cabinets.

As a Turkey Terminator, the player is given 100 missions and 3 weapons to eliminate all the turkeys, leaving no 'left-overs', every 8th round is a rapid-fire bonus wave.

Turkey Shoot - The Day They Took Over core is available here:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... oot_MiSTer

For current know issues / to-do list see here:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... STer#to-do

Turkey-Shoot-Marquee.png
Turkey-Shoot-Marquee.png (438.01 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
darfpga
Core Developer

Re: Turkey Shoot Arcade Core Released

Unread post by darfpga »

Xbytez wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:49 am Turkey Shoot - The Day They Took Over has been ported by birdybro to MiSTer, this core was originally written by darfpga
Hi,

Good job. Thank you to birdybro for porting that core. This core was the first I started to work on at mid January after watching the film ' Richard Jewell '. There is a sequence at the very beginning (around 3 or 4min) where two characters play that game at a arcade place. I previously (long time ago) did Defender and thought that these new core should be interesting to do. It was so I go on with the rest of the serie (Inferno, Joust2 and Mystic marathon).

If one can ever precisely look at the film sequence there was one or two questions that came to me. Does they used a true original cabinet? My opinion at the moment is that it may be not an original cabinet. Firstly the characters in the film used a gun that is linked to the cabinet by a cable. Looking at original videos on YouTube one can see that the gun is attached to the cabinet. Moreover the available schematic show that the gun signal input to the game PCB is not in relation with the video beam light but in the opposite the gun emit light that is catched at the cabinet screen level (photo transistors around the screen). I think that that method shouldn't be compatible with a 'free' gun.

Secondly it seems that the shot impact displayed is much wider in the film that in the original cabinet. They probably make some post processing on the captured video to enlarge the shot impact for a better visual effect on the film.

Due to these two differences I think that they do not used an original cabinet/PCB. So was it a Mame emulation? Was it an original cabinet with a modified gun input? Was it full post processing and the shown cabinet don't even exist?

Let me know what you think about that and maybe bring some pieces of information.

Anyway, we all could thanks the film director for his choice that make these 4 great Williams back to memory and available for MiST, MiSTer and maybe some others (my own DE10_lite so little confidential).

Dar.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Turkey Shoot Arcade Core Released

Unread post by aberu »

For some reason I didn't see this comment when you sent it originally, sorry about that. I'm not super active on the forums anymore.

I think your assessment is correct, I've updated my understanding of it since then.
birdybro~