MiSTer PCXT

jordi

Re: MiSTer PCXT

Unread post by jordi »

jca wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:47 pm

So far not so good.
First I installed the mouse which can be useful for games. As I use MD-DOS I started with Mouse.com which seems to work. Next I tried to load it high, LH did not say anything but did not load it high. It tried LH /S with the same result. Next I tried CTMOUSE from the repo, starting EDIT crashes PCXT with a black screen. This version seems to be 19.0.0 so I tried 19.0.1 with the same result. Back to Mouse.com in coventional memory for the time being.
I didn't have much luck finding the games recommended by @jordi and less luck making them to work.
Castlevania: I am stuck at the passwords.
California Games II: I mounted the 2 floppies in A: and B: but the install failed with a drive failure. I copied, without drive failure, to a temporary directory the 2 floppies. The 2nd one overwrote some files, I guess these files are necessary when running from floppies. The install from the HD went fine. Starting the game I decided to use the joystick, the calibration procedure seems a little flaky and I may have to redo it later.
Starting the game I also go stuck with password but was given some time to try. I struggled somewhat with the joystick, the game is not very intuitive as it starts with a score board, trying to figure it out and my time trial expired.
At least I admired the Castlevania start screen in Tandy mode.

You have sumarized the normal msdos experience :mrgreen: from 80s and 90s

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

jordi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:14 pm

You have sumarized the normal msdos experience :mrgreen: from 80s and 90s

This was for gamers. I was writing custom software for customers, doing installations ... which avoided these problems. The display of choice was the monochrome or better the hercules, other boards were memory expansion, ethernet (using coax), very rarely CD. Once you knew which boards to use and how to set them up it was not much of a headache. I didn't have a PC at home and didn't want one as I love outdoors activities. So I escaped all the trouble experienced by gamers.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

jca wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 pm

I am looking for recommendations for a few good games using the Tandy video mode, along with setup information if needed. Thanks.

The early Sierra adventure games work nicely with Tandy grqphics mode and (optionally) Adlib sound. I've played a bit or Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry 1 and 2, and King's Quest successfully.

I was also able to play Budokan, Double Dragon and Rick Dangerous with Tandy graphics. The latter has a special mode which is interesting (less resolution but more colors).

There's an obscure game called "Street Fighting Man" that runs in Tandy mode... its not a great game but worth a try if you like brawlers.

Bruce Lee and Burger Time look nice in Composite mode.

In CGA I've been enjoying AlleyCat, Mach3, Goody, and some other early French and Spanish early games that mostly only work on an XT class machine.

I am slowly testing more games... just get distracted playing each one for a while :D

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks.
WinWorldPC is an excellent site for abandonware and I use it for OSes and programs.
I completely forgot it had a game section. :lol:
I was just there a few minutes ago for Turbo Pascal. V3 is tiny (1x360K floppy) and fast but lacks in libraries. V6 is the last version supporting PC/XT and can also run/generate code for 286 (5x360K floppies), the 2.25MB one is complete.

bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

jca wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 pm

I was just there a few minutes ago for Turbo Pascal. V3 is tiny (1x360K floppy) and fast but lacks in libraries. V6 is the last version supporting PC/XT and can also run/generate code for 286 (5x360K floppies), the 2.25MB one is complete.

7.0 is what I use :)

I have all CRT patches installed, but I don't use CRT unit...

For c I use Turbo C 3.0

Both are fantastic - even today :)

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

You must be referring to Delphi which I use on Windows. The ReadMe of Turbo Pascal V7 says it requires a 286.

bbond007
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:29 am

You must be referring to Delphi which I use on Windows. The ReadMe of Turbo Pascal V7 says it requires a 286.

No, TP7 works fine on PCXT core... I use the IDE and debugger frequently on PCXT.

There was a version of Delphi/TP7 bundle sold. Maybe that is what the README refers to...

Or maybe the Turbo Vision UI library needs a 286... But I thought the IDE was done with Turbo Vision?

Honestly, it runs fine. Just install it...

TP7-PCXT.png
TP7-PCXT.png (120.99 KiB) Viewed 11259 times
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

Do we know why basica based games like asteroid pilot dont work? Just wanted to know its a known issue or its on my side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYWeklvQHQs

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

So the readme is wrong as it states 286 in the hardware requirements. I had a quick look at TP 7 User manual and it says that TURBO is the compiler which does not use protected mode and can run on any 80x86. In the old days I went from TP 3.0 to Delphi 1.0 with a big gap without pascal in between so I don't know much about the TP versions following V3. TP 6 has also Turbo Vision which runs on PC XT but TPX and TPCX require a 286, these are the compilers running in protected mode and using Extended Memory.
What confused me about your post was the mention of the CRT unit which in Delphi allows to create console applications. I suppose for TP 7 (and I suppose TP 6) does the same and when not using it is for Turbo Vision. These versions of TP looks more like Delphi but for DOS. I have a lot of reading because it is not TP 3 for sure: User Manual 188 pages, Programmer Manual 310 pages and Language Guide 319 pages. I won't have to read everything but still. Can you tell me more about these CRT patches? I will search on the web for the time being.
Thanks for the info.

bbond007
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:44 am

Can you tell me more about these CRT patches? I will search on the web for the time being.
Thanks for the info.

The CRT unit has timing functions/procedures(or something) that cause the program to bomb on fast computers.

There are CRT replacements that are much better so its better to avoid CRT anyway :)

It's definitely not relevant for PCXT but I it thought it happes on ao486, but happens on fast systems.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

So I found some information, it seems it is for computers running too fast (200MHz +) so may be I do not really need it for MISTer PCXT although it contains other optimizations making code run faster.
It look like I have to find BPL70V20.ZIP which is also valid for TP 6. This was a long time ago and the ftp site seems to be gone.

spark2k06
Core Developer

Unread post by spark2k06 »

suverman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:24 am

Do we know why basica based games like asteroid pilot dont work? Just wanted to know its a known issue or its on my side.

If you try PCem/86Box you will see the same problem. It is not a core problem... searching a bit on the internet, it seems that the bug is because the .BAS file is in binary and you have to convert it to ASCII.

suverman

spark2k06 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 am

If you try PCem/86Box you will see the same problem. It is not a core problem... searching a bit on the internet, it seems that the bug is because the .BAS file is in binary and you have to convert it to ASCII.

The same folder works in PCEm if I use 286 + XTIDE (AT)

Also the same file run on Xi8088. Does that still mean its an issue with ascii?

Updated: Using 8088 XT + XTIDE it gives an I/O error

The game is too fast even on the slowest 286.

Looks like XTIDE(AT) can run it and XTIDE cannot...

Attachments
aspi8088.jpg
aspi8088.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 11098 times
aspi.jpg
aspi.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 11104 times
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

jca wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Thanks.
WinWorldPC is an excellent site for abandonware and I use it for OSes and programs.
I completely forgot it had a game section. :lol:

Who wants 6.x anyway? 5.5 for the win! The 6.x IDE sucks, mainly because the window borders take 2 of the 80 columns. Can't remember if there was anything significant in 6.x vs 5.x beyond Turbo Vision.

flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

suverman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:36 pm
spark2k06 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 am

The same folder works in PCEm if I use 286 + XTIDE (AT)

Also the same file run on Xi8088. Does that still mean its an issue with ascii?

Updated: Using 8088 XT + XTIDE it gives an I/O error

The game is too fast even on the slowest 286.

Looks like XTIDE(AT) can run it and XTIDE cannot...

It seems to run just fine on the Tandy 1000 bios, PCXT set to 9 Mhz. Memory config set correctly for Tandy graphics, etc. I'm getting pretty close to a stable image that can be shared, but might still be a while. I want to get github updates configured with this vhd so I can make sure I can update the readme.ans and autorun scripts, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsda8BWqOL8

suverman

flynnsbit wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:06 pm

It seems to run just fine on the Tandy 1000 bios, PCXT set to 9 Mhz. Memory config set correctly for Tandy graphics, etc. I'm getting pretty close to a stable image that can be shared, but might still be a while. I want to get github updates configured with this vhd so I can make sure I can update the readme.ans and autorun scripts, etc.

Thank you I shall give it a go!!

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:39 pm

Who wants 6.x anyway? 5.5 for the win! The 6.x IDE sucks, mainly because the window borders take 2 of the 80 columns. Can't remember if there was anything significant in 6.x vs 5.x beyond Turbo Vision.

Good question. On a real PC I went from TP V3 to Delphi V1 and don't know anything about the latest versions of TP. For PCXT I was looking for the latest version of TP running on XT. The readme of V7 Mentions the 286 in the hardware requirements so I chose V6. It also happens that the User Manual of V7 states that only the protected version requires a 286 and the regular version can run on any 80x86 so I an more inclined to use V7. But before that the problem of the CRT unit came into play and I finally found a crt.zip containing modified units for TP 5.0 to TP 7.0 and Delphi V1.
I did not play too much with V6 which is the currently installed on my PCXT but I am not a big fan of the IDE and I don't have an idea of what is Turbo Vision. I will have a look at TP 5.5.

bbond007
Top Contributor

pgimeno wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:39 pm

That is a shame. I really loved the IDE and used in my daily job in the 90's. It even inspired xwpe for Linux/Unix which I also used.

jca wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:49 am

the User Manual of V7 states that only the protected version requires a 286 and the regular version can run on any 80x86 so I an more inclined to use V7. But before that the problem of the CRT unit came into play and I finally found a crt.zip containing modified units for TP 5.0 to TP 7.0 and Delphi V1.

I would suggest V7, CRT patches (why not), and also getting the SWAG reader app to look for replacements for whatever CRT unit functions/procedures you are using. It is a collection of "Snippets" giving examples of how to do stuff in Turbo Pascal. You can do searches which is great.

I don't have an idea of what is Turbo Vision.

Its a (text based) UI toolkit like QT or MUI for Amiga. The IDE utilizes it.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I started with V5.5 just to see how it looks and I like the streamlined way of the display, I also replaced the CRT.TPU.
I have no idea what this SWAG reader is.
I will also install TP V7 in another directory, change my AUTOEXEC.BAT to chose the correct PATH command between TP3, 5.5 and 7.
I was supposed to start gaming under PCXT but I have not made much progress. At least I played Breakout from the Pascal Demos :D
I also compiled GET_RTC which did not start very well: First line too long. And boy this line was long, the whole file was 1 line long with J here and there which indicates a Unix/Linux file. Thanks to Notepad++ it was an easy fix, the compile went real fast, the EXE works and is a tiny bit smaller than the official one.
Now onto TP7.
By the time I start gaming on PCXT in Tandy mode @flynnsbit will have created his Tandy collection. :lol:

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

bbond007 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:33 am

I don't have an idea of what is Turbo Vision.

Its a (text based) UI toolkit like QT or MUI for Amiga. The IDE utilizes it.

I kind of lied as one of the readme mentioned it and without really reading it I was under the impression it was a windowing system.
After playing some games I will have a look.

bbond007
Top Contributor

jca wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:59 am

I have no idea what this SWAG reader is.

Way back, when I was a DOS programmer it was like my Google...

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Are you running the actual IBM ROM? Only IBMs can use BASICA, which depends on the BASIC (no-A) built into IBM's ROM.

Everyone else got GW-BASIC, which I don't think is quite an exact clone.

spark2k06
Core Developer

Thanks for the video, for whatever reason, this confirms that it is not a core issue.

kitune-san
Top Contributor

Unread post by kitune-san »

spark2k06 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:24 am

Thanks for the video, for whatever reason, this confirms that it is not a core issue.

Slightly off topic. Apparently the speakers sound different from the other play videos...
It may be a bug in 8253.

spark2k06
Core Developer

kitune-san wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Slightly off topic. Apparently the speakers sound different from the other play videos...
It may be a bug in 8253.

I don't appreciate it very much, also keep in mind that the video capturer used could have some influence.

kitune-san
Top Contributor

Unread post by kitune-san »

I understand. Please let me know if there seems to be a real problem.

ArsInvictus

Unread post by ArsInvictus »

Not sure if this is totally on topic, but is this core the best way to run the CGA version of Ancient Art of War on a Mister? I'm putting together a Mister setup with a CRT Monitor, Model M keyboard etc to relive those gaming days. I used to play the game on an PC Jr. and I think on an XT. Not interested in the non-CGA versions. Any guidance on setting that up is appreciated!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

ArsInvictus wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:41 pm

Not sure if this is totally on topic, but is this core the best way to run the CGA version of Ancient Art of War on a Mister? I'm putting together a Mister setup with a CRT Monitor, Model M keyboard etc to relive those gaming days. I used to play the game on an PC Jr. and I think on an XT. Not interested in the non-CGA versions. Any guidance on setting that up is appreciated!

I am not familiar with the game, but most likely the answer is yes.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

You might be able to run it on the AO486 core, but there's only VGA there. It's backward-compatible with CGA in theory, but I'm not sure how complete that VGA card is.

The XT core is most likely to do what you want.