Custom Modeline for SNES

bricabrac

Custom Modeline for SNES

Unread post by bricabrac »

Hello,

Is it possible to create a custom modeline for SNES to achieve 8:7 aspect ratio on a CRT TV (with black bars on the left and right)? I am interested in "pure" analogue output, without scallers inbetween. Maybe someone do have such modeline and could share with me? I would very much appreciate it.

I am also wondering if "custom_aspect_ratio" option in ini file could be used to achieve that but I presume it is only for digital output, isn't it? Unfortunatelly I wasn't abe to find good explaination of what this option really does.

And as a backgroud of why do I need this modeline is I found that such aspect ratio works best for most of the games I am interested in (circles are circles, not elipsis) but I would also like to have the freedom to play MegaDrive or now even PSX games (which are meant to be played in 4:3 mode), without the need to go to the service menu of my TV and changing the setting everytime I switch te core. On my Sony TV it is never that easy as decreasing/increasing the width but other adjustments are also required.

Many thanks in advance.
jlancaster86

Re: Custom Modeline for SNES

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

Short answer: No.

What you're asking for would need to be handled by the scaler, but you're disabling the scaler to get an image on the CRT TV in the first place. Alternatively, the core would need to be modified to pillarbox the unscaled image, and I don't see that happening (if that were practical, I'm sure we'd have border support).

If you're adamant about using both a CRT and incorrect aspect ratios, then you'd be better off ditching the TV for a CRT PC monitor, as that would allow you to enable the scaler and set the game image to 8:7 rather than 4:3.