Wow, nice, 3 more games! :mrgreen:
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: Toaplan System 2 Board

Unread post by lamarax »

AmanoJacu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:36 pm Wow, nice, 3 more games! :mrgreen:
...not *just* 3 more games; this is BATTLE GAREGGA* for crying out loud! :P
I never thought I'd see the day on my MiSTer! 🥲

Onward to Dogyuun, Batsugun (...and maybe Truxton II), then I'll die a happy man!

*arguably the greatest shmup of all time (at least it's widely regarded as such, YMMV)
fraggore@sky.com

Unread post by fraggore@sky.com »

Any one getting a bad rom when trying to run garegga, tried the rom downloaded by update_all and the mame combined rom still the same i have all the same files on another mister and it works and all the other games the core supports work its a bit odd.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

fraggore@sky.com wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:45 pm Any one getting a bad rom when trying to run garegga, tried the rom downloaded by update_all and the mame combined rom still the same i have all the same files on another mister and it works and all the other games the core supports work its a bit odd.
I know it sounds silly, but did you try to power off (not cold reboot) and then power on your MiSTer?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:00 pm ...
Onward to Dogyuun, Batsugun (...and maybe Truxton II), then I'll die a happy man!
Same here! :D
commander

Unread post by commander »

When I use the dip switch flip screen on analog RGB Output
the screen is mirrored instead of flipped 180 degress.
Happens on all current toaplan 2 games
AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:00 pm
AmanoJacu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:36 pm Wow, nice, 3 more games! :mrgreen:
...not *just* 3 more games; this is BATTLE GAREGGA* for crying out loud! :P
I never thought I'd see the day on my MiSTer! 🥲

*arguably the greatest shmup of all time (at least it's widely regarded as such, YMMV)
Yes, I know Garegga gets a lot of love and attention, but personally, I find it very hard to play because my (poor) sight (I'm 43) can't discriminate well enough some bullets, specially the long ones. I think Bakraid is a better (and easier) game because the bullets have much brighter colors.

I must say I'm also quite disappointed at Kingdom Grandprix and Sorcer Strike, they look very generic. And by the way, is there a way to have auto-fire?

I'm also looking forward to Batsugun, I hope we see it soon, I also enjoy it a lot.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

yes, autofire is built into MiSTer for all cores (which i think is a very nice feature, but the settings are not saved when you exit a core and must be re-set everytime you load a core)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... #auto-fire

"Any defined button (except d-pad) supports auto fire. To activate auto fire, press and hold a button and then quickly press the button setup as MENU/OSD. To deactivate auto fire, repeat the the same button combination.

Auto fire provides several speeds to choose. Press and keep one of direction on d-pad and then quickly press the button defined as MENU/OSD. lower MS means a faster button press"
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

New garegga.rbf is out with changed SDRAM settings. Check it out if you're still having "bad rom" issues.
gamingarena

Unread post by gamingarena »

I ran update_all but i dont see any of the 3 new Toaplan aracde cores showing up, am i doing something wrong?
Alkadian
Top Contributor

gamingarena wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:40 am I ran update_all but i dont see any of the 3 new Toaplan aracde cores showing up, am i doing something wrong?
For now you have to download the files manually from the link provided by lamarax a few posts above.
lamarax wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:28 am ...
go go go!!!
AmanoJacu

In Battle Bakraid, sometimes the music goes silent, or increases or decreases volume. Anybody else experiencing this? Other than that, the game runs perfect as far as I can tell.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

AmanoJacu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:00 pm I must say I'm also quite disappointed at Kingdom Grandprix and Sorcer Strike, they look very generic. And by the way, is there a way to have auto-fire?
Just goes to prove there really i's no accounting for taste :) Sorcer Striker is one of my favouirte STGs - mainly because of the oodles of charm, top notch gfx/sfx, and the just-right difficulty of gameplay. Very happy 2 of this great series are now on MiSTer, it will finally make me flip one of my CRTs side-wise.

Garegga et al are of course stone cold classics, but tbh I probably have more fun playing the Sorcer series games, seeing as the former are just too much for my frazzled synapses. I like to play them now and then but they leave me rather shaken, whereas Sorcer is more of a pleasure ride.
AmanoJacu

akeley wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:26 am
AmanoJacu wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:00 pm I must say I'm also quite disappointed at Kingdom Grandprix and Sorcer Strike, they look very generic. And by the way, is there a way to have auto-fire?
Just goes to prove there really i's no accounting for taste :) Sorcer Striker is one of my favouirte STGs - mainly because of the oodles of charm, top notch gfx/sfx, and the just-right difficulty of gameplay. Very happy 2 of this great series are now on MiSTer, it will finally make me flip one of my CRTs side-wise.

Garegga et al are of course stone cold classics, but tbh I probably have more fun playing the Sorcer series games, seeing as the former are just too much for my frazzled synapses. I like to play them now and then but they leave me rather shaken, whereas Sorcer is more of a pleasure ride.
Well, it's a matter of taste, the one I'm enjoying the most right now is Bakraid.

I have tried again Sorcer Striker, and with auto-fire is much more enjoyable, but it is missing quite some sound effects, right? I still can't figure out how to play Kingdom Grandprix properly (can't have auto-fire unless using another button). Another problem I have with them is that sometimes the background scroll is very fast and it's uncomfortable for my sight.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

akeley wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:26 am Very happy 2 of this great series are now on MiSTer, it will finally make me flip one of my CRTs side-wise.
As a matter of fact, we now have the entire "Mahou Daisakusen" trilogy on the MiSTer; you're forgetting Dimahoo (or Great Mahou Daisakusen in Japan), which was already available with the CPS2 core :)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

lamarax wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:19 pm
akeley wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:26 am Very happy 2 of this great series are now on MiSTer, it will finally make me flip one of my CRTs side-wise.
As a matter of fact, we now have the entire "Mahou Daisakusen" trilogy on the MiSTer; you're forgetting Dimahoo (or Great Mahou Daisakusen in Japan), which was already available with the CPS2 core :)
Darn, you're right, I did miss it - amazing stuff. I just have to crawl out from the microcomputer side of MiSTer's tracks and spend some more time in the arcades again ;)
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Also people, do play around with the region dip switch settings*. Once you do, you'll know what I mean ;)

I cycled Garegga from 'Japan' back to 'Japan', saved, and suddenly the sound came alive! Also regarding Sorcer Striker; set the dip switch to the US board -it becomes another experience altogether. Kingdom Grandprix has sprite issues with the Japan setting.

*NB: I'm using the latest release of the core from some couple of hours ago.
AmanoJacu

I have just noticed there is a Type 2 Battle Garegga that among other changes, has "less realistic" but easier to see bullets. Is there some way to make it work in the mister?

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53710

EDIT: I managed to make it work editing the mra, see my post below.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:24 pm Also people, do play around with the region dip switch settings*. Once you do, you'll know what I mean ;)

I cycled Garegga from 'Japan' back to 'Japan', saved, and suddenly the sound came alive! Also regarding Sorcer Striker; set the dip switch to the US board -it becomes another experience altogether. Kingdom Grandprix has sprite issues with the Japan setting.

*NB: I'm using the latest release of the core from some couple of hours ago.
Thanks for pointing that out! I will look at it shortly :mrgreen:
AmanoJacu

Looks like Bakraid and Batrider have been updated some minutes ago with "final version".
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Ok I am sold. I will interrupt my dinner now :lol:
AmanoJacu

I have been trying the new core versions, and I didn't find any difference. Bakraid still has music appearing and disappearing, and Sorcer Strike is missing many sound effects. I tried changing regions and didn't find any difference.

I have also found out you can change the bullet colors in Battle Bakraid, by pressing formation button and a direction at the same time (3 types of bullets, plus up+foormation activates a combo panel). Too bad it doesn't work in Garegga.

EDIT: I managed to make the Battle Garegga Type 2 work in the mister, I just needed to create a mra for the rom bgareggat2.zip, only the CRCs of prg0 and prg1 change. I'm attaching the mra I created.
Battle Garegga Type 2.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Among other differences, changes some of the "long real bullets" to yellow dots, easier to differentiate. However, if you are looking for hi-scores, you need to play the regular one as the game is quite different. But I'm not into that so I'd rather play like this.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53710
Stupid Dufus

Unread post by Stupid Dufus »

Looks like it was just merged into the main dev repository, and source is public. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-MiSTer_Raizing
SegaSnatcher

Unread post by SegaSnatcher »

All MRAs for Garegga core show "No RBF found", but I have the RBF in the Arcade core section.

Nevermind, figured it out. Gotta remember to grab MRA from the raw file and not the link.
moonscience

Unread post by moonscience »

I hate to even ask having just gotten the best Christmas in July one could imagine, but does this open the doors to all the other Toaplan games on this board? Batsugun? Truxton II? Dogyuun? V-V? I'm just losing my mind here.
pram0d
Core Developer

Unread post by pram0d »

It wouldn't come from me, but actually I have checked via my modelsim test bench that at least my gp9001 implementation will work with truxton 2. I have a test bench where I can dump out the relevant rams from mame concerning the gp9001 and then load them into the test bench along with the gfx roms to see if that frame will render properly or not.

However, those games need additional CPUs and other things to be implemented to progress. It's not easy work. It's very time consuming, moreso than writing software emulators, and there's more details that are required from the real boards to make a proper FPGA implementation. Implementation of a new CPU is no joke either. Only real experts should attempt that (ie. Definitely not me!).
catallo

Unread post by catallo »

There is one thing I noted and maybe I'm wrong but the sound mix in Garegga seems to be kind of odd. It's like the music is much louder than the effects, even with FX set to max the voice samples ("Level Up") are hard to hear. Also in the music the bass line is very loud while the drums are really low.

Maybe someone with the original cabinet/board could compare? I might just be used to how it's mixed in Mame.
AmanoJacu

I am very thankful to pram0d for these cores, 5 really significant shmups, my fav one is Bakraid. I was hoping to also have Batsugun at some point, but it looks like it'll have to wait.
pram0d
Core Developer

Unread post by pram0d »

catallo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:51 pm There is one thing I noted and maybe I'm wrong but the sound mix in Garegga seems to be kind of odd. It's like the music is much louder than the effects, even with FX set to max the voice samples ("Level Up") are hard to hear. Also in the music the bass line is very loud while the drums are really low.

Maybe someone with the original cabinet/board could compare? I might just be used to how it's mixed in Mame.
Yes, the volume of the sound mixer has not been adjusted properly just yet for PCM and fx gain. I think I responded to this in discord. I have a fix for this, but just haven't made a new build yet. Might make this a configuration option.
deimos256

Unread post by deimos256 »

I just ran the update script last night and Battle Garegga doesn't seem to display a picture. I have my mister hooked up to a JVC CRT via RGB into a component converter. When I launch the core my display basically goes into standby mode and after a minute or so I can hear music playing, so It seems like it's running just getting no picture. All other cores work without issue.