Analog IO Board YPbPr Incorrectly going to RGB Full Range

naylord

Analog IO Board YPbPr Incorrectly going to RGB Full Range

Unread post by naylord »

Something that has really been bothering me is that the analog YPbPr output is in full range and I can't seem to limit it. It's a huge issue because old CRTs are based around the limited range and old consoles also display in it.

The easiest place to see it is in the grey ramp on the 240p test suite. There's a cutoff on the near black values where everything is just black. If I boot up 240p test suite on my Wii hooked up to the same CRT, no such black crush.

For many classic games, it matters less as there are no values so near to dark that they get grouped in with dark so ultimately we just get a weird color shift that isn't terrible, but on the PSX core I'm routinely seeing large amounts of black crush that isn't in the original hardware.

Is there any way around this? I'm guessing this is going to force me down a whole rabbit whole of using a DAC and direct video but that seems wasteful when I've already got the analog board.

I just wish I could have the component video in limited range. Or ideally I can switch from a consumer CRT to a PVM or a computer monitor to handle the full range instead but that will invovle me finding one of those items at a reasonable price first.