Official Adapter With the DS4 Really as Bad as the Test Findings State?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
MammonMachiner

Official Adapter With the DS4 Really as Bad as the Test Findings State?

Unread post by MammonMachiner »

I've been using my DS4 with the official adapter and it's felt so fast and responsive on the PSX core so far. I was even able to play Um Jammer Lammy without any issues. Granted, I just switched over to a CRT so maybe that has something to do with it.

If I decide to go with one of the faster wireless options, is the 8bitdo the best one? I've got one of those, as well as a generic bluetooth. And will I lose any functionality by using these over the official adapter?

Thanks in advance!
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Official Adapter With the DS4 Really as Bad as the Test Findings State?

Unread post by akeley »

I use DS4 over Bluetooth, but I don't think I have an "official" adapter - just some BT dongle. Works fine.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Is it as bad as it looks? According to the testing it is, which that testing is a closed loop special test with a MiSTer core and in a best case scenario, and done with the MiSTer and an custom PCB with an arduino. Seems accurate to me given that I can feel the results of some of the other controllers on there that are in the mid 20's.
birdybro~
MammonMachiner

aberu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:33 pm Is it as bad as it looks? According to the testing it is, which that testing is a closed loop special test with a MiSTer core and in a best case scenario, and done with the MiSTer and an custom PCB with an arduino. Seems accurate to me given that I can feel the results of some of the other controllers on there that are in the mid 20's.
Thanks for the info. I was curious though: has this same testing been done using the 8bitdo adapter with the DS4? I could have sworn I saw it on the Mister latency doc but looking at it again, it only shows the results for the official adapter and the generic bluetooth adapters. Given how many people seem to use the DS4 with the 8bitdo adapter, I was surprised not to see any testing results for it.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Anybody using the DS4 with the 8bitdo adapter should stop doing so. It screws up the compatibility with that controller. The 8bitdo adapter generates it's own product ID and Vendor ID and mister doesn't know you are using a DS4, so I think the track pad doesn't work. I haven't done it in a while but I think also that the rumble might not work and the motion control spamming the mister might not be disabled. Can't remember those though, but the 8bitdo adapter and mayflash adapters are not suggested to use on mister at all.
birdybro~
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

if the Bluetooth controller has official controller support then don't use a adaptor if they don't work in mister then may work with an adaptor like 8bitdo USB Adapter 2 but with more latency then out.
My example is im using a 8bitdo N30 NS and it dosent work with mister but when i using it with 8bitdo USB Adapter 2 it can find the controller and it is useable in mister with added latency.
MammonMachiner

aberu wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:11 pm Anybody using the DS4 with the 8bitdo adapter should stop doing so. It screws up the compatibility with that controller. The 8bitdo adapter generates it's own product ID and Vendor ID and mister doesn't know you are using a DS4, so I think the track pad doesn't work. I haven't done it in a while but I think also that the rumble might not work and the motion control spamming the mister might not be disabled. Can't remember those though, but the 8bitdo adapter and mayflash adapters are not suggested to use on mister at all.
Really? I haven't had any issues in using it so far and I've read about multiple others using them as well. I was just curious about the latency.

In any case, I paired the DS4 with my generic bluetooth dongle and it's been working pretty well so far (seemingly, anyway). I read that the touchpad button was supposed to switch between analog and digital in the PSX core but it's not working for me, for some reason. Any idea on how to get that working?
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

There's an OSD option, make sure it's set to the one with "Click" showing.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiS ... SX.sv#L373

It's possible your bluetooth adapter might not be compatible? Is it only Bluetooth 2.0? I haven't tested anything that wasn't bluetooth 4.0 or 5.0.
birdybro~
MammonMachiner

aberu wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:19 pm There's an OSD option, make sure it's set to the one with "Click" showing.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiS ... SX.sv#L373

It's possible your bluetooth adapter might not be compatible? Is it only Bluetooth 2.0? I haven't tested anything that wasn't bluetooth 4.0 or 5.0.
Yeah, that's what it was. I had the other one selected because it was easier to use (didn't realize "click" was referring to the DS4 touchpad, heh).

Thanks!
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

id just go with USB extension leads, is use them with magnetic charging wire :)
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

When the Mister recognizes a DS4, it interprets the touchpad as a mouse, with touchpad click as a left mouse click. Hence why that option is "click" in the PSX core, you get the same result clicking a USB mouse.