Original PS1 Controllers No Rumble

SHIVER_169

Original PS1 Controllers No Rumble

Unread post by SHIVER_169 »

Hi.

I connected the Original PS1 Controllers to MiSTer using a generic blue PS1 to USB adapter, this working beautiful all buttons and analogs works fine. But I can't work the rumble with none game. I hope you annyone probe the same setup and tell me more comments.

Regards.
Jimi369

Re: Original PS1 Controllers No Rumble

Unread post by Jimi369 »

Same for me with dualshock 2 controllers over 2 different usb adapters.
DS4 rumble works fine, so it’s probably the adapters.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

USB adapters don't support rumble - simple as that. DS3 and above (directly connected) works fine.
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

I remember buying generic blue adapter years ago and it came with a mini-CD containing driver enabling rumble. Without that driver controllers worked fine but had, well, no rumble functionality. I guess the same thing is happening with MiSTer.
makjade

Unread post by makjade »

There is a PSX SNAC adapter coming soon i think that should support rumble on original controllers.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

SHIVER_169 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:50 pm Hi.

I connected the Original PS1 Controllers to MiSTer using a generic blue PS1 to USB adapter, this working beautiful all buttons and analogs works fine. But I can't work the rumble with none game. I hope you annyone probe the same setup and tell me more comments.

Regards.
When you say original ps1 controllers, do you mean pre analog stick?

If so, they do not have any rumble.
SHIVER_169

Unread post by SHIVER_169 »

throAU wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:01 am When you say original ps1 controllers, do you mean pre analog stick?

If so, they do not have any rumble.
Obviously no, I do talking of Dualshock or PSOne controllers I have the console and in the console the rumble it's working with this controllers.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Yeah sorry just checking because there's probably a lot of people getting into this core who may not have had an original PS1.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

TLPD-AVW wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm I remember buying generic blue adapter years ago and it came with a mini-CD containing driver enabling rumble. Without that driver controllers worked fine but had, well, no rumble functionality. I guess the same thing is happening with MiSTer.
My USB adapter also supports rumble on PC, with the right drivers.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

My "generic blue" USB adapter supports rumble on PC too, except no additional drivers needed (I'm on Linux). On the MiSTer, everything works in the input core (rumble is not included so I'm not sure if it's supported by the included OS drivers), but in the PSX core rumble isn't working, and neither are the four main buttons - only the Dpad and the analogue sticks work, maybe L1,R1,L2,R2 too, IDK because I didn't test that far.

I guess there are several kinds and qualities of "generic blue" USB adapters. I got this one after testing another which seemed identical that I borrowed from a friend. I even asked her to buy this one for me, but when it came and I tested it, I noticed differences. Yes, stuff works (on the PC), but differently. That was long ago and I haven't tested hers with MiSTer.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Interesting, so there are default Linux drivers for these adapters that support rumble.
midnightgamer

Unread post by midnightgamer »

Can't get rumble out of my PS1 and PS2 Dualshock controllers either. Tested with USB and Blister adapter. 8Bitdo Controller Pro+ rumbles over USB without problems. Will try PS3 dualshock next.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

With a fake PS3 dualshock controller connected to a Linux desktop, it seems to behave differently with bluetooth (half rumble) versus USB (no rumble) connection. The direct USB connection provides no rumble to the MiSTer either. Maybe a genuine controller performs differently.

For me, a Xbox 360 wired controller and a wired 8bitdo SN30pro perform and rumble perfectly on the MiSTer.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I definitely get rumble on a knockoff Chinese PS3 DualShock clone via USB to MiSTer. No configuration required, it 'just worked'.
Krypto

Unread post by Krypto »

Yes, but does it work correctly? In Metal Gear Solid, Option / Vibration Test section does the controller vibrate continuously for as long as the weak or strong setting is selected?

I have two PS3 Dualshock clone controllers, one marked "Sony" that's made to deceive and another a "wired" only controller with no markings. I popped both of them open and each of them only have one rumble motor. It's kinda hard to have "Dual Shock" with only one nut. :) At least the guys on UTube had both motors in their knock-off controllers. Both controllers rumble poorly in Linux as either the weak or strong motor setting doesn't output and the wired one doesn't rumble at all in MiSTer for some reason. That's not even dealing with the poor analog response in the sticks and L2/R2. Personally, I'm sick of swimming in the cesspool of crap PS3 controllers.

For each MiSTer core, I like to use true-to-the-hardware input devices, but for PSX it looks like I'm using either a Playstation Classic controller or when analog/rumble is desired a XBox 360 wired.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

pgimeno wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:10 pm My "generic blue" USB adapter supports rumble on PC too, except no additional drivers needed (I'm on Linux). On the MiSTer, everything works in the input core (rumble is not included so I'm not sure if it's supported by the included OS drivers), but in the PSX core rumble isn't working, and neither are the four main buttons - only the Dpad and the analogue sticks work, maybe L1,R1,L2,R2 too, IDK because I didn't test that far.
Oops, PEBKAC - I forgot to redefine buttons in the core. Rumble still doesn't work on the MiSTer, only on the PC.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Krypto wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:16 pmFor each MiSTer core, I like to use true-to-the-hardware input devices, but for PSX it looks like I'm using either a Playstation Classic controller or when analog/rumble is desired a XBox 360 wired.
Original PS4 and PS5 controllers work fine too.

Edit: I meant wired, by the way. The PS5 rumble feels nothing like the original, though; it has a higher spin rate, closer to the Switch controllers' rumble.