HDMI Game Mode

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
12characters

HDMI Game Mode

Unread post by 12characters »

I am curious about the new HDMI game mode option in the ini file:

Code: Select all

; Enable game mode on HDMI output. It may give you better optimization on some displays, but also 
; can give worse result on others. Default is 0 (non-game).
;hdmi_game_mode=1
How can one tell whether it improves the performance or not? Does it require that the display utilizes HDMI 2.1?
AtomicShroom

Re: HDMI Game Mode

Unread post by AtomicShroom »

12characters wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:24 pm I am curious about the new HDMI game mode option in the ini file:

Code: Select all

; Enable game mode on HDMI output. It may give you better optimization on some displays, but also 
; can give worse result on others. Default is 0 (non-game).
;hdmi_game_mode=1
How can one tell whether it improves the performance or not? Does it require that the display utilizes HDMI 2.1?
I think all it does is tell your TV to automatically activate “Game Mode” if it has one. If you already manually turn on your TV’s game mode, then this option is useless.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

The DE-10 does not have HDMI 2.1 so i´m pretty sure that is a NO on that.
The other i have no idé at all about.
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

AtomicShroom wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:37 pm I think all it does is tell your TV to automatically activate “Game Mode” if it has one. If you already manually turn on your TV’s game mode, then this option is useless.
Based on some googling, I am guessing that the option refers to Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) which fits your description.
grizzly wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:39 pm The DE-10 does not have HDMI 2.1 so i´m pretty sure that is a NO on that.
The other i have no idé at all about.
ALLM was introduced in the HDMI 2.1 specification why I presume that it will do nothing on older displays.

It appears to be a useless feature in most cases. But why would it give "worse result" on some displays?