tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
warham

Re: tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Unread post by warham »

RealLarry wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:18 am
warham wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:14 amyes~!
I assume that "yes!" means something like "Well done, fulfills my wish for a configurable fullsize clock and I'm happy with it!" ? ;)

It's a thing of beauty~! well done Sir
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Re: tty2tft Soft & Hardware Add-On (shows core based pictures and videos on a color TFT display)

Unread post by RealLarry »

Update time! I just released the closed beta 220717

- Blank screen before playing a video (thanks to @warham)
Contributor of tty2oled, author of tty2tft, tty2rpi and update_tty2xxx
RealLarry
Top Contributor

venice/tty2oled (yes, he's also a tty2tft user) was so kind to grab and edit the segment digits for you "screensaver and clock lovers" :)
Just extract the attachment to your SD and overwrite the existing ones. I'll implement them as an option later.

Thanks @venice!
montage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the closed beta 220723

- screensaver's clock is now extendable
There is also a new option: SCREENSAVER_TYPE (default to 1). 1=folding numbers, 2=digital numbers. This is extendable: If you have another set of nice digits, resize them to the same size as the existing ones and save them to your SD in /jpg/displaysize/#/000-clockclockset-0.jpg and so on.
For exmaple, if you are creating the fourth clock set for your ILI9341, the path would be /jpg/320x240/#/000-clock4-0.jpg for the digit 0. Set SCREENSAVER_TYPE to 4 in your tty2tft-user.ini and you're set. Got it? And don't forget to share your work, please!

Attached is the new clockset for both type of digit styles and display resolutions. Just extract the archive to your SD. You can delete the old files as there aren't used anymore (or let them rot there).

Have fun and a nice weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the closed beta 220724

This is just a small update to the extendable clock and should be (one of) the last update(s) to the closed beta before going to public release the next days.

- Update of the library JPEGDEC
- New option SCREENSAVER_DOTCOL (Color of the dots within clock, default 65535 = white)
- Random number validation in screensaver (doesn't show the same picture/clock in a row)

NOTE: If you did yesterdays update and downloaded the clock archive to your SD, please re-download and extract the archive again...while preparing and testing todays update I saw that there was a light white frame around the digital digits, which I have removed now.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
There is an option in your tty2tft-system.ini called TTY2TFT_DISPLAY and defaults to ILI9341. If your display is NOT an ILI9341, then you'll have to set the correct display type in tty2tft-user.ini for getting updates in the future!
For example: your display is a HX8347D, then put the line

Code: Select all

TTY2TFT_DISPLAY="HX8347D"
to tty2tft-user.ini. This is very very very important when tty2tft is going to public to fetch future updates as it's impossible to implement all display drivers at once and our Build Server doesn't know your device type (that's one of the reasons I needed your MAC when manually building your binary). If you don't, you'll get a display showing only white and that's all!
salamantecas

Unread post by salamantecas »

EXCITED to see how soon it will come out for everyone, I would not like to see this work by vendors who take advantage of the work without further ado, I hope it is for the general public and that everyone can build it for themselves, it is a beautiful job and there is enough equipment to provide help and great teachers. Congratulations for the great work done
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220801

No changes to the code but for the two libraries ESP32Time (time module) and GFX_Library_for_Arduino (display drivers).
The project is declared "done" and free for all under the license CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). No more restrictions on the MAC address. Source codes follows.

Thanks to all beta participants!

If anyone dares to host all the pictures we did, we'd be glad to hear from you!
salamantecas

congratulations for this great project that finally saw the light!!! I am convinced that people are going to enjoy it in a big way. Thank you for allowing us to participate and share all your knowledge with great kindness and patience. I hope you are very successful. We will certainly continue to support everything you do
RealLarry
Top Contributor

salamantecas wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 am congratulations for this great project that finally saw the light!!! I am convinced that people are going to enjoy it in a big way. Thank you for allowing us to participate and share all your knowledge with great kindness and patience. I hope you are very successful. We will certainly continue to support everything you do
Many thanks for the warm words! But I don't really care whether the project will be "successful" or not. It was born by playing aorund with the tft when we found out that greyscale pictures are possible with the tty2oled. This led from one to the other. In fact tty2tft is my personal project for my personal use, to extend technical and programming skills. These goals are more than achieved. Now it's time to share that stuff so that others can learn from it and do it bigger and better. Erm, in term of "bigger" it's too late. I was faster with my upcoming project :ugeek:
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

RealLarry wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:19 am Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220801

No changes to the code but for the two libraries ESP32Time (time module) and GFX_Library_for_Arduino (display drivers).
The project is declared "done" and free for all under the license CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International). No more restrictions on the MAC address. Source codes follows.

Thanks to all beta participants!

If anyone dares to host all the pictures we did, we'd be glad to hear from you!
Thank you so much for your efforts with this project RealLarry. The beautiful color TFT screen is definitely the highlight of my MiSTer set up! :D
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220805

No special and noteworthy changes, but maybe (hopefully) stabilizing WiFi problems which still persists with some ESP32's (see here for details).

Changes in detail are the following explicit settings:
- WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);
- WiFi.disconnect();
- WiFi.setAutoConnect(true);
- WiFi.setAutoReconnect(true);
- WiFi.persistent(true);
- WIFI_ALL_CHANNEL_SCAN instead of WIFI_FAST_SCAN

...and a new setting to wifi.txt on your SD...a new, fourth line has been added (optionally): WiFi timeout, set to 20 (seconds) as default. After this timeout scanning for your SSID cancels and disables WiFi with a notice.
See here for an example

Thanks are going to @warham who initiated this issue this morning. 🍹
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Update time! I just released the "open binary" 220806

Another update to WiFi to improve it's reliability, this time the country code which people like to forget (erm...)
While investigating to the slow/unreliable WiFi connection speed I stumbled on the fact that ESP's firmware is setting the country code to CN (China) as default. They are using channels and frequencies different in detail as we are using in the western hemisphere. Because of that fact I've set another new setting to wifi.txt on your SD...a new, fifth line has been added (optionally): WiFi country code, set to US as default. The US country code is more or less equal to (most?) European countries, but if on doubt please edit and change this 5th line in wifi.txt by setting this to your country code.

See here for an example and this explanations and table. Also have a look to your Access Point to check and fix it's country code, if neccessary.
michelefornasini

Unread post by michelefornasini »

Hi Larry,
after the last update the WiFi connection no longer works.
I tried both with the two additional lines (20, IT) in the WiFi.txt and without

I have a UNIFI Access Point system
venice
Top Contributor

Unread post by venice »

I have an Unifi AP as well using 20 and DE, no problem.
I have to wait max. 10 secs for a connection.

Did you set the region in Unifi as well?

My MiSTer Add-On-Projects tty2oled, i2c2oled, SNAC2IEC
You can donate by sending a Postcard to me.

RealLarry
Top Contributor

michelefornasini wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:00 am Hi Larry,
after the last update the WiFi connection no longer works.
I tried both with the two additional lines (20, IT) in the WiFi.txt and without

I have a UNIFI Access Point system
Was it working reliable for you before the update? How many seconds (approx.) it usually took? Try increasing the timeout seconsds to 40 for example...
michelefornasini

before it worked correctly, access was instant, 1-2 seconds. I tried to increase the time to 40 and also another accesspoint to no avail.
michelefornasini

venice wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:03 am I have an Unifi AP as well using 20 and DE, no problem.
I have to wait max. 10 secs for a connection.

Did you set the region in Unifi as well?
IT
RealLarry
Top Contributor

This is very unsatisfactory, sadly. I'm currently working on an auto-reconnect, but can't test it reliably as mine is connecting fast the most times now.
If you want I can set the build number down to the last last version to let you do a downgrade...
michelefornasini

RealLarry wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 am This is very unsatisfactory, sadly. I'm currently working on an auto-reconnect, but can't test it reliably as mine is connecting fast the most times now.
If you want I can set the build number down to the last last version to let you do a downgrade...
Thanks, that would be great,
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Jup, build is set to 220801. Please update so I can set this up to the actual version again...
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Damn, hold it, I forgot that you can't downgrade this way... Use the attachment, transfer it to your MiSTer to the /tmp directory, extract it there and run

./flasher.sh esp32de_220801_ILI9341.bin
michelefornasini

RealLarry wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:45 am Damn, hold it, I forgot that you can't downgrade this way... Use the attachment, transfer it to your MiSTer to the /tmp directory, extract it there and run

OK, thank you Larry
RealLarry
Top Contributor

michelefornasini wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:47 am
RealLarry wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:45 am Damn, hold it, I forgot that you can't downgrade this way... Use the attachment, transfer it to your MiSTer to the /tmp directory, extract it there and run

OK, thank you Larry
You're welcome...customer service :) But does it work and WiFi is available again?
RealLarry
Top Contributor

I just did an update to the Installer. One can now use the FORCE function to downgrade to a known version:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ojaksch/tty2tft/main/installer.sh -O - | bash -s -- FORCE DISPLAYTYPE BUILDVER
DISPLAYTYPE is the type of your display, one of HX8347D, ILI9341, ILI9486, ILI9488
BUILDVER is the tty2tft software version you want to downgrade to, for example 220801

EDIT: This way we can also try interim and test builds.
michelefornasini

RealLarry wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:49 am
michelefornasini wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:47 am

OK, thank you Larry
You're welcome...customer service :) But does it work and WiFi is available again?
Permission Danied,
but I insist and do not give up. I keep you updated and thank you very much for your work
RealLarry
Top Contributor

Test build! There is a binary named 220807T

The only new function to yesterdays version is an automatic retry to connect to WiFi if 1st try failes. After a 3rd failed try tty2tft continues with WiFi disabled. You can adjust the timeout parameter in wifi.txt on SD (4th line) if you feel that the default of 20 seconds is too low or high.

To test just ssh to your MiSTer and type

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ojaksch/tty2tft/main/installer.sh -O - | bash -s -- FORCE DISPLAYTYPE 220807T
DISPLAYTYPE is the type of your display, one of HX8347D, ILI9341, ILI9486, ILI9488
salamantecas

i try now but ....

[1;31mUnfortunately something went wrong![0m[0m
[1;31mPossible causes:[0m[0m
[1;31m- Missing files, busy server, drunken Webmaster. Call forum.[0m[0m
[1;31m

drunken webmaster....Hahaha
RealLarry
Top Contributor

...an additional picture for your SD content for the upcoming "UPDATE IN PROGRESS" by the updater script.
michelefornasini

Good evening, today I added some new RBFs to my mister, Legend of Hero Tonma and Dragon Breed. I checked the presence of the 2 images in the relative folders. in all cases the image does not load. I also tried to replace them with other images respecting the size and compression, nothing done. Does it happen to you too?
Sincerely Michele Fornasini

Edit,

I solved it, Thanks
RealLarry
Top Contributor

michelefornasini wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:55 pm Good evening, today I added some new RBFs to my mister, Legend of Hero Tonma and Dragon Breed. I checked the presence of the 2 images in the relative folders. in all cases the image does not load. I also tried to replace them with other images respecting the size and compression, nothing done. Does it happen to you too?
Sincerely Michele Fornasini

Edit,

I solved it, Thanks
Glad to hear that you solved it by yourself, but I'm still be interested to read about the cause for your issue. Maybe others can benefit from it.