The Settlers

segamemister

The Settlers

Unread post by segamemister »

Is this a core bug as the mapsize is limited to 7 should be eight well at-least if installed to the hdd anyone able to reproduce or find a work around.Floppy version limit the maps to less but that well know
12characters

Re: The Settlers

Unread post by 12characters »

I believe that the maximum map size in The Settlers is also determined by the available RAM. Check your settings in the core menu.
segamemister

I tried with max out setting wise which is 256mb i believe

And just found this wonder how true it holds

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=23 ... stcount=15

* installed on HD (either WHDLoad or "Pure")
* 8MB Fastram
* CPU 68040

The last one would be the kicker though mapsize 8 does show up on a 68030 as may father got one in his 1200 would have to just test with an 8mb ram expansion on a stock 1200 but that something to try at a later date.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

It's also limited to map size 7 here, when I start it from the MegaAGS collection.
MrX_Cuci

Unread post by MrX_Cuci »

What hd installer are you using?
0.5 chipmem and 5mb other ram.
http://whdload.de/games/TheSettlers.html
Maybe latest patch broke map size since latest patch was written from scratch. Try with 1.1 instead.
segamemister

Just try using the game hd installer same mapsize so this is not a whdload issue

Either the game limit the mapsize to 7 due to it being 68020 or there a core bug untill i can test this using a standard 8mb ram expansion on a amiga 1200 wont fill a bug report
MrX_Cuci

Unread post by MrX_Cuci »

From CLI you can force the map size according to the manual:
-mx: Force mapsize x

X is a number between 1 and 8. It indicates the size of the games world.
The program has a size 3 world by default, because this is the size of world used for the training scenarios.
segamemister

The isnt working cheers anyway just tried
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

As far as I read its only a 68040 that supports map size 8 so there is no way the Minimig core will ever support it
segamemister

@fpga not true my father aca1230 with an 68030 get mapsize 8 not sure what trickery jens from icomp put in.i believe it also true for my father cd32 with tf330

i do agree with you on one thing it seems to required a cpu higher then a 68020 which is a pity

The dos version does mapsize 8 so i could just do that when i want something brutal but man the music sucks dos wise
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

Mapsize 8 should be possible on any system with... from what I remember its 8mb RAM or more. Might be enough with less even.

Some do claim you also need a fast CPU but it seems to be a guess. Many do point out though that if playing from a floppy you are limited to a map size of 5 due to bigger maps needing more than a floppy disk of space to save the game?

So there seems to be several factors, but I know that on my Amiga 1200 with an ACA1221, which is still an 020 CPU, I could play with map size 8. Well... I remember it that way at least.

Here is a thread that goes into how there seems to be different versions of The Settlers and that the game version might have some limit imposed on it:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22524&page=2

But it does also seem that you should probably have it installed on a hard disk, and that disk should have more than 3 or 4MB free to ensure being able to play the full map size. The thread also confirms the 8mb RAM being what you need for the full map size.
segamemister

@caldor then it look like a core bug.

I tried all ram combination and different chipsets mapsize seven is the highest i can get being it using whdload or the orignal game hdd installer.The thread you link to is the same one i linked to but i just linked to a certain post.

Jeez i even launch the game from cli without startup-sequence and seven the limit.Floppy wise i know the maps are limited stated that in my first post.

None the less it look like we exhausted all options .
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

segamemister wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:42 pm @caldor then it look like a core bug.

I tried all ram combination and different chipsets mapsize seven is the highest i can get being it using whdload or the orignal game hdd installer.The thread you link to is the same one i linked to but i just linked to a certain post.

Jeez i even launch the game from cli without startup-sequence and seven the limit.Floppy wise i know the maps are limited stated that in my first post.

None the less it look like we exhausted all options .
I suspect the most likely cause for this is the versions of Settlers used here. What version is used? Have you tried a regular HD install version, instead of a WHDLoad version?
segamemister

Gamebase which i believe is fairlight cracking group floppy wise relating the hdd already answer above
Caldor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Caldor »

segamemister wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:24 am Just try using the game hd installer same mapsize so this is not a whdload issue

Either the game limit the mapsize to 7 due to it being 68020 or there a core bug untill i can test this using a standard 8mb ram expansion on a amiga 1200 wont fill a bug report
I have run several tests now. I tried several versions of Settlers on the MiSTer Minimig core and with a floppy version the map size limit was 5, and with a 68000 the map limit was size. With the 68020 the map limit is 7 whether I am using a HD install or WHDLoad.

On my real Amiga 1200 powered by a Vampire Icedrake, it has the option to play with a map size limit of 8. Which seems to be because its CPU is considered to be more than an 020 CPU. I have not tried with my ACA1221 yet, but I suspect it would be limited to map size 7 as well, because I have tested in WinUAE and with the same boot setup I tried both a 68020 and a 68030 boot, and 020 had a map size limit to 7 and the 030 had 8.

I guess the mystery has been solved. I think I will try to see if that means I can get map size 8 on the MiSTer using the hybrid core.
segamemister

Nice find and thanx for the testing sincerely grateful for it
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I finally got around to booting up MegaAGS (the 6/6 version) under WinUAE, and The Settlers will allow a mapsize of 8 to be chosen with a 68040 or 68030, but maxes at 7 with a 68020, with no other changes to hardware at all. That is definitely the problem.

As others have said, it probably just needs a tiny patch via WHDLoad to work right. That system utility that changes the reported CPU would probably also work, but I have no idea what that is. I left the Amiga before the A3000 came out, so all that newfangled OS 3.1 stuff is new to me. :)