New User Minimig Advice

Gumdoc

New User Minimig Advice

Unread post by Gumdoc »

Hi all,

Somewhat new to MiSTer and definitely new to the Minimig core. I was able to download the latest MegaAGS pack, the 2022.06.06 one. Is there an updated guide on installing it? Only decent one I found online was from Pezz 82 but that's 2 years old. If I have that AGS file, do I still need the Kickstart files or is everything included in the pack?

Thanks for any help.
shira

Re: New User Minimig Advice

Unread post by shira »

I suppose it's the same, that is basically just unpacking the whole thing onto the root of your SD-card. It comes fully configured. So you only need to start Minimig afterwards to enjoy.
Also make sure to read the provided 'MegaAGS-ReadMe.txt'.

Good luck.
Gumdoc

Unread post by Gumdoc »

Thanks. One question about the readme, they give some settings to put into the mister.ini file...but I can't seem to find that. The only thing that comes close is MiSTer_example.ini. Is this file automatically created at some point or should I not be missing this file?
shira

Unread post by shira »

You have to make the change to your MiSTer.ini by hand, or other customizations would be lost if it were replaced. Just add the Minimig specific settings at the end of your MiSTer.ini.

Code: Select all

[minimig]
video_mode_ntsc=8
video_mode_pal=9
vscale_mode=0
vsync_adjust=2
custom_aspect_ratio_1=40:27
Gumdoc

Unread post by Gumdoc »

Thanks...but not sure if you read what I asked. I don't have a MiSTer.ini file anywhere that I can find.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

The MiSTer.ini file in question is located on the SD card in the /media/fat folder if you access it via Mister's terminal (F9 from main menu) or in root folder of SD card if mounted on a PC.
Gumdoc

Unread post by Gumdoc »

Not on my card, that's what I am trying to say, there's no mister.ini file; there is one named MiSTer_example.ini but not the file that I need.
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Copy that file and rename it to MiSTer.ini and make any modifications you want.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

There should be a script called 'ini_settings.sh' that you can run from the Scripts menu. I believe it will create a default ini for you, as I definitely did not create one myself, yet have one in the right spot. (/media/fat).

edit: I just double-checked by removing my MiSTer.ini file and running ini_settings.sh. It does, indeed, create a default file for you. On my system, it set the default video mode to 1280x720, which is suboptimal. You may want to comment that setting out so that the brand-new EDID detection code works. (Mister now polls the monitor to determine its capabilities, which just rolled out in the last couple weeks.)
shira

Unread post by shira »

Sorry, I couldn't conceive the idea that there is a system without a MiSTer.ini file on your SD card.
You can also always find the latest default one on the GitHub (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini).
Gumdoc

Unread post by Gumdoc »

Thank you all for the help. Not sure why the .ini wasn't created, I just renamed the example one and all good now, will try that script as well to see how the files compare.