Vertical Sync issue on NES composite

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
TheHandsomeCow

Vertical Sync issue on NES composite

Unread post by TheHandsomeCow »

Hello,

I've been having an issue with the NES core when using the composite out from axunworks' RGB-2YC converter. In areas like Metriods first screen and the second level of Super Mario Bros the core has issues maintaining a vertical sync (please forgive me if I'm not using 100% correct terms.) It isn't resulting in full-on scrolling but, the image will shake up and down about a centimeter on my 13" screen.

I'm using the VGA input to the RGB-2YC and have set my mister up for analog out through my Analog Io.

This seems to only happen with the NES core on composite. S-Video is fine and other cores do not present this issue. With possibly the exception of the PC Engine running hucard games. I haven't done enough testing but the opening to Ninja Spirit also had syncing issues but gameplay was fine.

I've also tested Antonio Villena's VGA to Composite adapter. This works flawlessly but has much worse dot crawl (especially on sega consoles) and colour issues on S32X.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Otherwise my options might be to switch adapters on a console basis or wait for the s-video/composite core adapters to become available.
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Vertical Sync issue on NES composite

Unread post by akeley »

Currently there is no perfect method for displaying composite from MiSTer. Your "vsync" issue might or might not be related to that (it doesn't happen on RGB/component though).

This might change in the future, especially with continuing development of MikeS1's custom cores. More here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... e--s-video
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Given I haven't seen these issues with most converters I've tried, I'd assume it isn't a problem with the core, but it's a problem with axunworks' adapter. You should try to contact them and see if they have some advice.
birdybro~
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

When does the Metroid title screen sync loss occur? Is it when the particle things fly in from the corners to the center and the screen flashes white for a second?
she/her