Separate Audio Output with Digital IO Board

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
mist-rich

Re: Separate Audio Output with Digital IO Board

Unread post by mist-rich »

Brilliant , thank you very much Malor :) Have made some notes and will keep you updated :)
CMcK

Unread post by CMcK »

I didn’t want to start a new thread for this issue and this seems like the appropriate thread. I bought a little DAC to use with my MiSTer and already owned the required 3.5mm toslink to regular toslink cable. Connecting it up to the MiSTer the audio output is mostly clicks and pops with snatches of the correct audio coming through.
I tested the cable and DAC with my Mac and it all works fine. I also tried powering the DAC externally rather than using the MiSTer to provide power. No change though.

I normally use VGA to a SD plasma TV and the audio is taken care of via the 3.5mm output to an amplifier.

Is there something I’ve missed within the .ini file maybe?
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

I'm sure I saw someone recently with that symptom and I can't remember what the problem was. The fact that you're getting *some* sound implies that maybe something isn't tight or maybe one of your switches is set wrong. (I'm still not sure what the switches do, I just blindly copy the instructions. :) )

This probably won't fix it, but you could try looking for "hdmi_audio_96k=1" in the config and set it to 0. It may already be 0. You can leave it there for testing, but once you figure out the problem and get it functional, try setting to 1. If that works, you'll get slightly better sound quality from cores that use weird sampling rates.

edit: Oh, and just in case, you are using a 5V4A power supply for the Mister itself? The default 2A supply isn't enough for many configurations.
CMcK

Unread post by CMcK »

Thanks for your reply. According to the data sheet this DAC doesn’t support 96kHz so I think you may be on to something there. I’ll investigate later tonight.
I am using a 4A power supply with my MiSTer.
CMcK

Unread post by CMcK »

I checked the HDMI audio setting in the .ini file. Was at the default 48kHz. Switched the 96kHz option on but it didn’t help.
Not looking promising.

Update: Tried another optical cable but no improvement. Guess there’s an issue with optical out on my MiSTer board.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

It should be an issue with the I/O board, rather than one with the DE-10 itself. Maybe the LED is mounted too far away, or isn't bright enough, or there's a bad solder joint somewhere.

The next step would be to contact your seller, and ask them for help. Worst case, a replacement I/O board should fix it. You shouldn't need to futz around with the main board itself.
mist-rich

mist-rich wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm Just looked and it's there :) :) i'm good to go.

Video, controller and now sound sorted (almost) :D, won't be long before I get to hear as well as see some classic goodness.

I'm going to replace my Soundblaster G6 DAC with a Cambridge DacMagic Plus which if i'm right should allow me to input my gaming PC + Mister, and using the source button on front to switch. Fingers crossed.
Just wanted to update this as I received all the parts (DAC and cables) but then took an unexpected holiday so it was only this evening that I got to test. Everything works perfect and I had (still have) a massive grin on my face when Donkey Kong booted and soundtrack kicked in from my speakers :D
My DAC (cambridge audio dacmagic plus) has a little LED indicating the incoming sample rate and it is 96kHz. I hope you manage to sort your issue CmcK.

A huge thanks Malor + Grizzly and co , would not have got there without you :)

It's really nice as I can switch between PC and Mister using the source button on DAC so no fiddling with lead swapping etc. I'll get some pictures up when I tidy the cabling and set everything in properly :)
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

So did you actually end up replacing the I/O board, or was it just the DAC that didn't like the output from the Mister?
mist-rich

Malor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:41 pm So did you actually end up replacing the I/O board, or was it just the DAC that didn't like the output from the Mister?
ahh that was user CMcK :) He posted up shortly after me , this thread has been hijacked a few times :D I had issues with cables a few weeks ago :)