New 2022 PS1/2/3 Controllers by Retro Fighters and 8bitdo

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
seastalker

New 2022 PS1/2/3 Controllers by Retro Fighters and 8bitdo

Unread post by seastalker »

I missed the PS1 in its time and have no nostalgia personally for the system. I played some Autobleem titles on the hacked PS classic and am happy to discover the library.

Now we have a MiSTer PS1 core that for me will be THE go to PS1 experience. I've watched videos on original controllers including the PRE-dual shock analog controller which intrigues me. Now there are two new options for brand new controllers for the PS experience:

8Bitdo FUNTASTIC Pro 2
Retro Fighters Defender

My guess is that at the least, both are adequate if not superb for the job. I've watched Mad Little Pixel's videos on both but would love to delve deeper. For example, for those that loved the original analog controller (stopgap before the dualshock), do either of these new ones hit the mark? A buyers guide to us new to PS1 or a video by the likes of Video Game Esoterica or Lu's Retro Source would be most welcomed, especially for MiSTer.

I have a softmodded PS3 and welcome discussion on just being able to USE any controller that works with it. I have a GameSir-G4S and some genesis style 6 button controller that are the only controllers i have that work on the PS3, so I am open to any universal PS1/2/3 controller.
Malor
Top Contributor

Re: New 2022 PS1/2/3 Controllers by Retro Fighters and 8bitdo

Unread post by Malor »

Don't be an early adopter on the 8bitdo sticks. Their engineering consistency is very poor, their quality control doesn't seem that great, and their warranty replacements take months. They have no problem keeping Amazon stocked, but if you need yours replaced, it has to be sent all the way from China.

Wait until you've seen multiple good reviews, including latency figures, and then wait another six months to see if the controllers are holding up.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

I have a few 8BitDo controllers and have a great experience with all of them. I have also purchased a few RetroBits whether it was their Genesis/Saturn and have had mostly a good experience with those. The C button on one of the Genesis controllers was not "good". Other than that...pretty damn solid. They feel good and responsive and nothing prevented me from doing what I need to do in game.

I play via MiSTer and OG Hardware with 2.4ghz wireless 8Bitdo controllers via Daemonbyte. My main monitor/tv is a Sony 36FV310 with everything connected via Component.

I'll admit that I was interested in a 2.4ghz Playstation pad...but Retro Fighters as a brand has been a company that I haven't been too blown away by. Almost everything I see on them isn't the best and just not sure I want to deal with a non-OG style pad for the Playstation. The buttons themselves just don't look right. Let alone imagining them feeling right.

I think most people's best option might be to get an adapter for the PS4/PS5 controllers. I'd love if the PS3 controllers weren't so laggy.
seastalker

I actually have a Bliss-box as well as a Blisster, so I can use my various OG controllers as well.I also have a bunch of Sega controllers. I have the 8bitdo M30 2.4g that pairs well with the Analogue MegaSG, and I have both Genesis and Saturn Retrobit controllers. My Saturn one usually works great with Mister, but I sometimes get connectivity issues as well as an odd button problem:

Has anyone else used said controller in Mister where you set the buttons for ACCEPT or BACK within Mister menus as A and B, only to have the assignment get reversed somehow later after a few hours of use? It's so weird.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

Has anyone else used said controller in Mister where you set the buttons for ACCEPT or BACK within Mister menus as A and B, only to have the assignment get reversed somehow later after a few hours of use? It's so weird.
I have seen exactly that behavior when putting the config directory on a network share. On a cold boot, the share may not be up yet, so Mister defaults to standard settings, swapping the A and B buttons in the menus. On a warm boot, or if the share comes up fast enough, the menu works normally.

The conclusion I drew: always keep the config dir in the same filesystem with the Mister binary.
seastalker

My retrobit 2.4 wireless Saturn controller now is showing connection issues on a real Saturn. I'm only about 7 feet away. This controller has been getting less and less reliable- maybe I just got a mediocre one from a quality control standpoint. Interesting about that "C" button- I've had that issue too as well as had to replace the microswitches in the shoulder buttons- the left arrived dodgy and I had to do the right side to uniform it to the same click.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

seastalker wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:21 pm My retrobit 2.4 wireless Saturn controller now is showing connection issues on a real Saturn. I'm only about 7 feet away. This controller has been getting less and less reliable- maybe I just got a mediocre one from a quality control standpoint. Interesting about that "C" button- I've had that issue too as well as had to replace the microswitches in the shoulder buttons- the left arrived dodgy and I had to do the right side to uniform it to the same click.
i've got the blue transparent saturn clones, and they are horrible joypads with connectivity issues, certainly one of the worst purchases i've made in a looooooooooooooong time.
retro

Unread post by retro »

MostroW wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 pm i've got the blue transparent saturn clones, and they are horrible joypads with connectivity issues, certainly one of the worst purchases i've made in a looooooooooooooong time.
Odd... My Retrobit wireless Saturn controller is over a year old already, and I haven't had any problems. Still works great, and no problems with shmups or fighters.
retro

Unread post by retro »

I just received my RetroFighters Defenders two days ago and they work great on my PS1 and PS2.

Analog buttons work great in Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

D-pad is great, no problems pulling off moves in Street Fighter.

And the 2.4Ghz RF is so much better than using a Bluetooth adapter. I was previously using the Brook adapter with the DualShock3 on my PS1.

I am now able to play beatmania thanks to the lower lag with the Defender.

I haven't tested them on my MiSTer though... perfectly happy using a 8bitdo M30.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

retro wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:29 am Odd... My Retrobit wireless Saturn controller is over a year old already, and I haven't had any problems. Still works great, and no problems with shmups or fighters.
Yeah i don't know, i've updated them a few times already where they addressed some issues but these pads, i've had no joy from these pads. (pun intended)