Power by Power Bank

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
zorael

Power by Power Bank

Unread post by zorael »

I have a MiSTer, sold as an "Ultimate MiSTer PRO BlisSTer DUAL RAM", and it came with a normal 5V barrel plug adapter. I want to be able to use it on the move, with a battery-powered HDMI screen.

Is it possible to power it with a normal 20Ah power bank? As in, with a USB-A or USB-C to 5.5x2.1 barrel cable? Something like this.

I have no idea how much current is required and no easy way to determine it. Will it just pull as much as it wants? Obviously a cheaper power bank may be insufficient there, but assuming for the sake of the argument that it's powerful enough.

Is there something like a cap to (non-PD) USB current that's too low for the MiSTer?
wizzo
Scripting Wizard

Re: Power by Power Bank

Unread post by wizzo »

It's definitely possible. I do this when I take mine to people's houses. I run a wifi and bt dongle off that and use SD card. I haven't measured the power usage but I suspect you could get a little more out of it before a single power bank port would cap out.

My setup is a little different. I have attached a USB C port to my MiSTer and I run the power bank through that, but I use a USB A to C cable from the power bank so I think this is effectively the same as a USB to barrel jack cable.
ntt

Re: Power by Power Bank

Unread post by ntt »

zorael wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 am I have a MiSTer, sold as an "Ultimate MiSTer PRO BlisSTer DUAL RAM", and it came with a normal 5V barrel plug adapter. I want to be able to use it on the move, with a battery-powered HDMI screen.

Is it possible to power it with a normal 20Ah power bank? As in, with a USB-A or USB-C to 5.5x2.1 barrel cable? Something like this.

I have no idea how much current is required and no easy way to determine it. Will it just pull as much as it wants? Obviously a cheaper power bank may be insufficient there, but assuming for the sake of the argument that it's powerful enough.

Is there something like a cap to (non-PD) USB current that's too low for the MiSTer?
Mine would seem to draw less than 10W (power meter attached to the 6A power supply) even when using cores like PSX or Saturn; for the record it powers 3 dongles: wireless keyboard, WiFi and bluetooth.
10W at 5V means around 2A, so I guess your powerbank should last some time..