Handful of CPS2 Games Have Corrupted Graphics

TheBonePony

Handful of CPS2 Games Have Corrupted Graphics

Unread post by TheBonePony »

I've been trying to solve this for months and I've turned up absolutely no answers. The following CPS2 games, when they load, the graphics are all messed up.

Cyberbots Full Metal Madness
Hyper Street Fighter II The Anniversary Edition
Mars Matrix Hyper Solid Shooting
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
Marvel vs Capcom Clash of Super Heroes
Night Warriors Darkstalker's Revenge
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Vampire Hunter 2 Darkstalker's Revenge
X-Men vs Street Fighter
X-Men Children of the Atom

I've redownloaded the RBF's, MRA's, tried different sets. Nothing.

I DID wonder if it's the fact I only have a 32meg memory addon but some of these are way less than that. And ones that are bigger work just fine.

I've tried turning my resolution down to 720p, messed with VSYNC etc... Even tried the alternative MRA's and nothing.

Really hoping someone can help. Even if just to tell me I flat out don't have enough memory. That would at least be an answer.
chopperthedog

Re: Handful of CPS2 Games Have Corrupted Graphics

Unread post by chopperthedog »

DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

You don't have enough memory.

From Jotego's GitHub page:
"Some CPS2 games may require a 64MB module. Those games are listed as having a GFX ROM of 16MB or more below. Please check the CPS2 ROM size section."

All the games you listed have 32MB GFX ROM requirements. Meaning, it's 32MB for the graphics data *plus* what's needed for the rest of the system. You just straight up don't have a big enough SDRAM. And as 64MB SDRAM has basically been discontinued for its cost versus benefit, you're going to be looking to get a 128MB SDRAM.
TheBonePony

Unread post by TheBonePony »

Thank you! Been chasing my tail for months. HAHA! Okay, thanks a lot!

Sadly when I got everything 32 meg was all I could find.
DevilHunterWolf

Just something of note, it may be worth keeping the 32MB SDRAM if you get the 128MB upgrade. Anything that has been dual SDRAM (Optional PS1, potentially Saturn), people have been able to use a 32MB as their second SDRAM. So if you're interested at all in going down that path, the 32MB may still come in handy.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:31 am Just something of note, it may be worth keeping the 32MB SDRAM if you get the 128MB upgrade. Anything that has been dual SDRAM (Optional PS1, potentially Saturn), people have been able to use a 32MB as their second SDRAM. So if you're interested at all in going down that path, the 32MB may still come in handy.
No, please stop. This is not a thing that will be happening, I’m sick of seeing it being parroted here all the time.
DevilHunterWolf

C-R-T wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:25 am
DevilHunterWolf wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:31 am Just something of note, it may be worth keeping the 32MB SDRAM if you get the 128MB upgrade. Anything that has been dual SDRAM (Optional PS1, potentially Saturn), people have been able to use a 32MB as their second SDRAM. So if you're interested at all in going down that path, the 32MB may still come in handy.
No, please stop. This is not a thing that will be happening, I’m sick of seeing it being parroted here all the time.
I'm not interested in dual SDRAM and don't personally recommend those setups with how little benefit there is. I also get too much use out of the analog IO board to use anything else. But they'd already have an SDRAM they may not know what to do with after an upgrade. Some people are curious or experimental. Just mentioning it in case they care to try for themselves.

Edit: And just to clarify, I know there's nothing written in stone that even Saturn is going to need dual RAM. But at this moment, there is an expanded list of games that can be tried during the current Saturn beta for those with dual RAM. I'm personally being patient for a first release but others like to try ahead of time. It may all get optimized and consolidated by that time.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

C-R-T wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:25 am
It's not parroting, it's reality, there are builds for the Saturn, PSX and Jaguar cores that use a dual RAM setup.

I don't see any sense in calling this "parroting". My guess is quite a lot users who upgraded from 32MB to 128MB have their 32MB module still lying around and are able to set their MiSTer up with Dual SD RAM. It was the case for me and so I installed the second module a while ago as I don't use any analog board. There are no disadvantages at all.

So why attack users mentioning this?
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

As an aside, if you have an earlier 32MB module with 3 pins hanging off the side, this can't be used in the 2nd RAM slot.
AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

Well, it won't hurt to keep the 32MB module in a drawer, in case you ever need it again for whatever reason. What are you gonna do with it instead, sell it? Would it be worth it?

In any case, a 128MB module is a must in any setup and it is fairly cheap, compared to the cost of the rest of things.