antoniovillena.es

Only for official MiSTer project addon boards!
antoniovillena

antoniovillena.es

Unread post by antoniovillena »

My online store:

http://antoniovillena.es

This is the official thread
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (73.82 KiB) Viewed 54668 times
mahen

Re: antoniovillena.es

Unread post by mahen »

Just received and assembled my kit.
It was quickly dispatched.

It's very clean work, I like the minimalism of the case, the fact its height is smaller than the others, the fact you can see the leds in transparency, the fact the heat can be dispelled by the borders, the fact you can turn off the fan or set it at a low speed, I like the sturdy buttons, I like the fact nothing on the board is superfluous (there are the necessary analog and digital outputs ; happy to have an optical one), the speaker for the floppy drive sound (not tested yet), the db9 port is a nice plus I might use one day.

I just haven't connected the power button yet.
The only thing I find a little difficult is not ejecting the SD extender. Any tip ? (indeed if you press the SD it frequently ejects the extender instead of the SD itself :-) It's not a big deal as I try to install stuff through the network whenever possible.

I had a few exchanges with Antonio : quick & helpful replies.
Wholeheartedly Recommended !I think it's my dream case :) I'll probably add the upcoming RTC module + LCD screen (to autoboot the Amiga core without waiting for the network).

PS : question : do I need a special build to get the floppy sounds ?
antoniovillena

mahen wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am PS : question : do I need a special build to get the floppy sounds ?
Use this script:

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

And then try to load an .ADF with the Amiga core
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

Hi Antonio, I'm interested in your mister case kit. From where is powered the usb hub? And are the instructions for the power switch provided in the order?
antoniovillena

Lisko wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 pm Hi Antonio, I'm interested in your mister case kit. From where is powered the usb hub? And are the instructions for the power switch provided in the order?
The USB is powered from 5V main power. For the power switch work you need modify the de10 nano. Just open the circuit on the jack connector and use 2 pin male right angle like in the picture. This way when you use de10 alone you can put a jumper cap to short the circuit.

Edit: The MOD on de10 nano is optional. Of course if you don't make it, the MiSTer is always ON
Attachments
81505022_735279403665350_7784628945554505728_n.jpg
81505022_735279403665350_7784628945554505728_n.jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 54509 times
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

If I'm not planning to use the de10-nano alone, are the 2 pin still needed or is enough to just open the circuit? If are needed are they included in the kit?
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi ! I'm sharing my opinion on Antonio's kit after 10 days of use. It's a nice case / "custom" IO Board combination.

PROS
- quality / precise work !
- looks "low tech" / minimalist, you can see the MiSTer leds in transparency which is nice and useful. The top is transparent and the sides are semi-transparent which gives a nice fuzziness.
- it's quite compact (esp. in height)
- it has a useful combination of analog & digital IO (I use the optical output), second SD port. I don't feel it's "overcrowded" with stuff I'll never use but it will still cover all the use cases I can think of.
- it has a buzzer for simulating the sound of the Amiga floppy disk :-) which is actually very useful to figure out what's happening, I love it !
- it has a db9 port which might come in handy one day (various extensions are sold too, for various retro controllers), but its focus is on the USB ports
- you can add, later, an RTC board with a small LED screen (to be released soon)
- you can decide to leave the case partly open by removing the sides or the top logo for instance if you don't want to use a fan and still help dispell the heat
- it has a potentiometer to set the fan speed (which is silent at half speed)
- it has sturdy buttons, incl. a power button

CONS
- looks less "pro" than the official case (plexi versus metal)
- it's too small to put a big fan -- the provided one is just the size of the FPGA chip but probably sufficient. I don't use it for the time being, I'll see if that's necessary.
- it's not the official IO board (I don't know if that's a problem)
- You have to use a special "update script" which updates all cores / installs all MAME roms & special builds for db9 and floppy support (this script is actually super useful anyway -- I wonder if those modifications will eventually be merged ?)
- you have to solder the on/off button connection yourself ; I didn't because I'm afraid to burn the board :-) I use an inline power button meanwhile.

All in all : it's a good alternative. Not perfect but definitely interesting and I am not disappointed. Antonio is nice and replies quickly.
antoniovillena

Lisko wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 pm If I'm not planning to use the de10-nano alone, are the 2 pin still needed or is enough to just open the circuit? If are needed are they included in the kit?
No, these pins are not needed at all. If it's important to you the ON/OFF switch just go to complete MiSTer where mod is included. Because they are not included in the kit or assembly instructions.
antoniovillena

mahen wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 am - looks less "pro" than the official case (plexi versus metal)
- it's too small to put a big fan -- the provided one is just the size of the FPGA chip but probably sufficient. I don't use it for the time being, I'll see if that's necessary.
-Official case is FR4 made, not metal.
-The fan has the size of the heatsink and it's attached to it. It's like in a PC
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

antoniovillena wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:07 am
Lisko wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 pm If I'm not planning to use the de10-nano alone, are the 2 pin still needed or is enough to just open the circuit? If are needed are they included in the kit?
No, these pins are not needed at all. If it's important to you the ON/OFF switch just go to complete MiSTer where mod is included. Because they are not included in the kit or assembly instructions.
No thanks, I already have de10-nano with 128mb sdram moreover I have decent soldering skills and that mod is pretty simple so I'll go for the kit. I'm only making sure to not oversee anything. Only last question: after making the mod are those two pin plugging directly in the usbioboard? Do I have to align them to a socket? Thank you for your time, I'm going to order the kit in the next week or the one after.
antoniovillena

Yes. You can plug directly to the IO board. I recommend do the MOD after receive the kit to correct align the pins. Attached a picture with detail on 2x1 female header.
Attachments
photo_2020-06-28_14-31-20.jpg
photo_2020-06-28_14-31-20.jpg (332.54 KiB) Viewed 54460 times
Lisko

Unread post by Lisko »

Hi Antonio sorry to bother you again, hopefully is my last question. Are the right angled pin of 6mm high and 2,54mm wide good?
antoniovillena

Lisko wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:53 am Hi Antonio sorry to bother you again, hopefully is my last question. Are the right angled pin of 6mm high and 2,54mm wide good?
Yes. They are good
Megamoose

JAMMA adapter

Unread post by Megamoose »

Antonio, in researching options for installing a MiSTER in my JAMMA cocktail cabinet I came across your JAMMA adapter. It looks like it would help simplify things vs using a separate JPAC, amplifier, etc. I was curious if you have another run of the JAMMA adapters for MiSTER planned, and if so what the timeline might be. Thanks!
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi Antonio ! I saw you recently released a different version of your case (SLIM versus DRIVE), that's interesting !
However there's no more mention of the buzzer for the floppy drive sound, is it still provided ?
Thanks !
antoniovillena

mahen wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm Hi Antonio ! I saw you recently released a different version of your case (SLIM versus DRIVE), that's interesting !
However there's no more mention of the buzzer for the floppy drive sound, is it still provided ?
Thanks !
Hi mahen

Buzzer for DRIVE version is not provided because increase height. But I plan to add in a future
DrKucho

Unread post by DrKucho »

Hi Antonio , I would like to understand how a DB9 port with only 9 pins can be read as two separated controllers
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Just a little note to thank Antonio once again. I sent him my MiSTer for modification and it was done very quickly and cleanly. Thanks again !
antoniovillena

DrKucho wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:33 pm Hi Antonio , I would like to understand how a DB9 port with only 9 pins can be read as two separated controllers
You have the hardware here for schematics and pcb files. It's open hardware.

https://github.com/antoniovillena/MiSTe ... r/Hardware

Basically we have 10 pins. The 10th pin is on shield and for this reason we call SNAC8 instead SNAC6 or SNAC7 of official IO. With this pin and multiplexors (74HC157D) we select between port 1 and port 2.
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

DrKucho wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:33 pm Hi Antonio , I would like to understand how a DB9 port with only 9 pins can be read as two separated controllers
Think of this as how a multi tap works with 4 player adapters
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
DrKucho

Unread post by DrKucho »

I have no idea what is all that snac thing but I do know what is multiplexing : so the port is rapidly switching between port 1 and port 2 , as long as it does it super fast it can work as two separated ports. Correct me if I am wrong.
antoniovillena

DrKucho wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:31 pm I have no idea what is all that snac thing but I do know what is multiplexing : so the port is rapidly switching between port 1 and port 2 , as long as it does it super fast it can work as two separated ports. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, that's the idea. And the switching time is measured in nanoseconds, so you can read both ports very fast.
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

When do you think you will have more Complete MiSTER 128 Drive systems in stock?
antoniovillena

NML32 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:03 pm When do you think you will have more Complete MiSTER 128 Drive systems in stock?
Just restocked in 2 units
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

antoniovillena wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:45 pm
NML32 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:03 pm When do you think you will have more Complete MiSTER 128 Drive systems in stock?
Just restocked in 2 units
Thank you, ordered :D
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Just ordered another complete slim setup for a friend. He needed the floopy drive sound & db9 port :-) (thanks again !)

BTW; can you confirm that when not using a db9 splitter, I can use a single Amiga / CD 32 / Genesis gamepad out of the box ? (with the specific core build of course)

When using an USB interface, I noticed - I don't know if that also happens with the regular build - that I have to push a gamepad button before a given gamepad is activated. In other words, directions / other gamepad buttons don't work until I push the 1st or 2nd maybe gamepad button. Can you confirm this behaviour ? I wonder if that's due to your SNAC patches ?

Cheers !
VegitoXZ7

Unread post by VegitoXZ7 »

Hello Antonio!

I’ve recently put together a db9 kit on the de10 nano and have gotten most things up and running. Im only unning into a couple issues. I have not gotten 2 players to work in the genesis or mega cd cores.
The best i get out of the splitter for 2 player modes is duplicated input across both player 1 and 2. Snes games work perfectly however in this regard. Another issue I’ve ran into is that nes controllers into the NES splitter do not work at all with snac. Weirdly though, an SNES controller works perfectly although not being an NES peripheral. I would really like to get NES peripherals working so i can play light gun games. If there is a fix to either of these, it would be much appreciated to know. Thank you for developing this piece of kit and I hope you are having a wonderful day!
antoniovillena

VegitoXZ7 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:03 pm Hello Antonio!

I’ve recently put together a db9 kit on the de10 nano and have gotten most things up and running. Im only unning into a couple issues. I have not gotten 2 players to work in the genesis or mega cd cores.
The best i get out of the splitter for 2 player modes is duplicated input across both player 1 and 2. Snes games work perfectly however in this regard. Another issue I’ve ran into is that nes controllers into the NES splitter do not work at all with snac. Weirdly though, an SNES controller works perfectly although not being an NES peripheral. I would really like to get NES peripherals working so i can play light gun games. If there is a fix to either of these, it would be much appreciated to know. Thank you for developing this piece of kit and I hope you are having a wonderful day!
Hi

For work DB9 splitter you need to select 2 player on OSD. About NES splitter I have noticed issues on American gamepads. These gamepads lacks resistors like in these pictures. The fix consists add the resistor (3.6K value) on the splitter.
Attachments
photo_2020-09-10_21-59-34.jpg
photo_2020-09-10_21-59-34.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 50445 times
photo_2020-09-10_21-57-48.jpg
photo_2020-09-10_21-57-48.jpg (121.08 KiB) Viewed 50445 times
antoniovillena

mahen wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm Just ordered another complete slim setup for a friend. He needed the floopy drive sound & db9 port :-) (thanks again !)

BTW; can you confirm that when not using a db9 splitter, I can use a single Amiga / CD 32 / Genesis gamepad out of the box ? (with the specific core build of course)
Yes. The DB9 splitter is only for 2player. For one player you can use directly the DB9 port.
mahen wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:44 pm When using an USB interface, I noticed - I don't know if that also happens with the regular build - that I have to push a gamepad button before a given gamepad is activated. In other words, directions / other gamepad buttons don't work until I push the 1st or 2nd maybe gamepad button. Can you confirm this behaviour ? I wonder if that's due to your SNAC patches ?

Cheers !
I don't noticed but it's a possible bug introduced by the SNAC patches. You can tell to people who did the fork on this Telegram group. https://t.me/joinchat/DwDFfFF3d_4vK-glu8BKiA
VegitoXZ7

Unread post by VegitoXZ7 »

Thank you! I installed the two resistors on the adapter as you’ve shown and its working perfectly now. One thing I wasn’t able to comment on in my post was on turbo grafx snac compatibility. I just recently just got a two button turbo control. Although it works fine, the turbo switches do not function.I did some research and I came across a post in these forums by the user Brettstar having the same problem. He was able to solder together the fix himself with your rerouted pcb to accommodate the extra chips. I’m not very handy with a soldering iron when it comes to small chips but the large connectors I shouldn’t have too much of a problem with so i wanna go witg the smd service on JLCPCB. I put the snac.zip you provided to Brettstar on the other forum into JLCPCB and the bill of materials. Only thing I need now is the correct assembly.csv. The one i found is for the usb version and wont work with the db9 version as the chips don't align up.
Thank you for your hard work in this community, i love the work you do and I appreciate you on helping me on completing my All in one FPGA experIence!