Trouble loading cue/bin CD games

AmanoJacu

Trouble loading cue/bin CD games

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

I have got some Japanese PC Engine CD images (romantic CDs) in cue plus a bin file for each track, and when I try to load them in mister, I get either a single image with a Japanese text (Sapphire), or the game appearently works (Steam Hearts), but when actually statrting the game, another Japanese text appears and the screen goes black.

I have 3 other games in cue and a single img and they work fine. I have tried using bios [BIOS] Super CD-ROM System (Japan) (v3.0) instead of they one I had originally got, but the result is the same.

Any idea whatt couold be causing this and how to solve it? Thanks!
segamemister

Re: Trouble loading cue/bin CD games

Unread post by segamemister »

Relating sapphire have you try the arcade card bios as wiki states

Sapphire was released on the Arcade CD-ROM² format due its enhanced graphical effects, and requires the "Arcade Card" RAM expansion developed by NEC to run.

Ah just found the arcade card stuff is integrated in to the core so only other thing i can think of is making sure you try a redump version if you check the internet archive you find various sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5NSQC6dQtQ So people have got it working

Update - just tried this launch your turbo duo core go to the hardware menu and enable the arcade card from there also game image was from redump
AmanoJacu

Thanks, I activated the arcade card in the hardware menu of the core and now Saphire works fine. However, I still get some sort of error message after I select my character in Steam Hearts, even with extra hardware options enabled. I'll try to get another iso.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

How long are you waiting after the screen goes black ?

The message says that the RUN button will allow you to skip the conversation... after about 5-10 seconds of the black screen (where it loads some program code), it will begin a conversation between characters (in Japanese).
AmanoJacu

dshadoff wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:57 pm How long are you waiting after the screen goes black ?

The message says that the RUN button will allow you to skip the conversation... after about 5-10 seconds of the black screen (where it loads some program code), it will begin a conversation between characters (in Japanese).
I was waiting for more than 30 seconds and it didn't do anything. Anyway I got another image (cue/iso), and now it works, after arround 5 seconds the conversation starts, and pressing RUN doesn't stop it, unless I'm missing something. The regular game starts when it is finished.

The previous image I was using, would also freeze in the intro repeating music in a loop when I tried to watch it. So I guess the problem was with the image.

EDIT: Yes, pressing RUN duiring the conversation pauses the game but also skips it so you can start the game faster.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

Yeah, there are bad rips out there, so it’s always best to ask first (and/or try another image).
Glad you got it working.