Outrun

Chilli_Vibes

Outrun

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Looks like Jotego is working on Outrun, Turbo Outrun, and Super Hang On.

Holy Crap !! :D
Need to make a mini Wheel controller, now.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Outrun

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Super Hang On is already in Beta for his Patreons.
pepito

Unread post by pepito »

it should be good for this friday... otherwise, I don't understand anymore!
PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

pepito wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:47 pm it should be good for this friday... otherwise, I don't understand anymore!
I was starting to feel that way too, mostly because I feel like the Analogue Pocket has taken up too much of his time.

But in all fairness, one of his employees is young and inexperienced and the other was on vacation for a month, AND Jotego needed help understanding an obscure bit of hardware design in Outrun that kept it from booting correctly.

Still, I'm really hoping it's ready tomorrow.
Chilli_Vibes

Looking at the following chart,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

It seems like the Outrun/Turbo Outrun/Super Hang-On games used potentiometer-based wheels. So, does that mean we could use a spinner for a wheel ?
Or, what about using something like the following ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015GYY7XU/

I have a Logitech G29 Wheel, but it's 900 degrees rotation, and too big for my Mister setup area.
Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

I’ve got a G29. I’m pretty sure you can adjust the degrees of rotation.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:09 pm
pepito wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:47 pm it should be good for this friday... otherwise, I don't understand anymore!
I was starting to feel that way too, mostly because I feel like the Analogue Pocket has taken up too much of his time.

But in all fairness, one of his employees is young and inexperienced and the other was on vacation for a month, AND Jotego needed help understanding an obscure bit of hardware design in Outrun that kept it from booting correctly.

Still, I'm really hoping it's ready tomorrow.
This core wouldn't have become reality without the work of the fabulous of Gyurco who stepped in when Jotego was in a deadend and volunteered to help. The shoutout should go to him first and foremost.

Analogue didn't take up much time when Jotego wasn't working on the Outrun core he was busy with the NeoGeo Pocket core. This consumed most of the time in the recent months.
Arcatech

Unread post by Arcatech »

I thought Outrun used a 5K pot more like this one in the link below

[https://www.arcadeartshop.com/product/5 ... -220-5753/]
Chilli_Vibes

Lloyd2084 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:26 pm I’ve got a G29. I’m pretty sure you can adjust the degrees of rotation.
You can, but that is in Windows via the Logitech software. How would you do this on the Mister ?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:11 pm
Lloyd2084 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:26 pm I’ve got a G29. I’m pretty sure you can adjust the degrees of rotation.
You can, but that is in Windows via the Logitech software. How would you do this on the Mister ?
Not sure about the G29, but with the G25/G27 if you press and hold start+select, you can select a range using the cross, square, circle and triangle buttons.
Lloyd2084

Unread post by Lloyd2084 »

I also have a memory of this, but it’s been a while so I could be wrong.
Chilli_Vibes

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:26 pm
Not sure about the G29, but with the G25/G27 if you press and hold start+select, you can select a range using the cross, square, circle and triangle buttons.
I didn't know this, was this undocumented ?
I will test this on my G29, a bit later.
I do like the idea of a simple volume 5k pot, but that would need some kind of controller to convert to USB. I could then use this Ultimarc 6 Inch Steering Wheel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272718590276
Arcatech

The spintrak comes with a USB encoder, so with the steering wheel you mention this setup might work
Attachments
Spintrak-Spinner-Unit__03007.jpg
Spintrak-Spinner-Unit__03007.jpg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:13 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:26 pm

I didn't know this, was this undocumented ?
I will test this on my G29, a bit later.
I'm not sure, I did vaguely remember it being a thing, but the video I've just looked up about it called it a secret.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

The timing on this is perfect. I already planned for an Outrun capable control panel on my new arcade cabinet that is almost finished. I am going to use a new old-stock Thrustmaster Grand Prix 1 wheel and convert it to USB along with my USB Act Labs Performance pedals and a IL Eurojoystick for the stick shift. I hope I can get it to work with multiple USB devices for the throttle, wheel and stick shift.
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

For those of you wondering about the Logitech G29... I've already added the code and wheel support is fully functional.

I pushed a driver update to the kernel which hasn't been released yet either, but I compiled it and shared above on Patreon.

Thrustmaster and Fanatech were confirmed working as well... Plus the wheels listed in the patreon post.
Arcatech

So glad I held onto my Thrustmaster T500RS racing rig, just seen it's on the list of compatible wheels :D
Sterbi

Unread post by Sterbi »

I'd like to ask how is Force Feedback implemented in this drivers. Is there functional auto-centering in place? Is it using full 900° wheel turning or is it possible to tune it somehow?
Chilli_Vibes

For those of you wondering about the Logitech G29... I've already added the code and wheel support is fully functional.
Awesome. Can't wait.
zorrobandito

Unread post by zorrobandito »

thorr wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:59 pm The timing on this is perfect. I already planned for an Outrun capable control panel on my new arcade cabinet that is almost finished. I am going to use a new old-stock Thrustmaster Grand Prix 1 wheel and convert it to USB along with my USB Act Labs Performance pedals and a IL Eurojoystick for the stick shift. I hope I can get it to work with multiple USB devices for the throttle, wheel and stick shift.
I had one of those - with accelerate and break on the paddles! I loved that wheel...
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

zorrobandito wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:39 pm I had one of those - with accelerate and break on the paddles! I loved that wheel...
Yeah, I am hoping it will be great for an arcade cabinet. It has a mount into the plastic enclosure that I plan to undo and mount into an arcade control panel. I want to use the paddles for other functions and a different set of pedals for acceleration and braking. I also have a Logitech G25 and a driving chair I can use if I want, but I want that arcade experience too with my new cabinet. I used to have a Thrustmaster T2 with the tiny shifter knob and pedals back in the day. It was a great wheel too!
Chilli_Vibes

I have a spare Logitech Driving Force GT, which was made redundant after the purchase of the G29. I will try that wheel first, because I use the G29 mostly for VR PC Racing games, and I don't really want to keep moving it around. The GT has a micro-switched gear stick, literally just up and down, which would be ideal for the Hi/Low gears in Outrun. Also, the pedals are just accelerate, and brake, no clutch - this will also be perfect for Outrun.

I like the idea of a dedicated driving cabinet, with a second Mister in there. I did want to try this with a modded Arcade1up Outrun, but this cab looks like it's not coming to the UK. So, I might try to build a replica of the Outrun Standup Arcade Machine, put a CRT in there, and try to mount a Wheel in the control panel, and have a dedicated driving cab.
Would now love to see ChaseHQ, Special Criminal Investigation, Pole Position 1 and 2, Super Monaco GP, Enduro Racer, Power Drift, 3-screen Buggy Boy - oh man, would love that.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Keep in mind some of those are spinner games and not finite potentiometer controls. I will have a separate spinner-based steering wheel control panel for Pole Position, Turbo, etc.
Chilli_Vibes

Oh, I know. At the moment, I am using an Ultimarc SpinTrak Spinner + Flyweight + Spinner Knob in MAME. I want the wheel for it that I linked above. It's great for Pole Position, even just spinning the spinner to drive. I am hoping to make room alongside one of my PC Wheels, it only needs a 30mm hole, but a deep hole, as it's over 60mm deep with the flyweight. Only slight downside, it's damn sensitive, and needs some tweaking for each game.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:55 pm Oh, I know. At the moment, I am using an Ultimarc SpinTrak Spinner + Flyweight + Spinner Knob in MAME. I want the wheel for it that I linked above. It's great for Pole Position, even just spinning the spinner to drive. I am hoping to make room alongside one of my PC Wheels, it only needs a 30mm hole, but a deep hole, as it's over 60mm deep with the flyweight. Only slight downside, it's damn sensitive, and needs some tweaking for each game.
Sounds good. You probably already know but you can set a different spinner throttle value for each core in the MiSTer.ini. I am not sure about Mame.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:26 pm Not sure about the G29, but with the G25/G27 if you press and hold start+select, you can select a range using the cross, square, circle and triangle buttons.
This is already implemented in the MiSTer wheel support at least on the PSX core. It works with the limited range by default. I think you can adjust the range in the MiSTer.ini also.
Chilli_Vibes

thorr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:31 pm
Chilli_Vibes wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:55 pm Oh, I know. At the moment, I am using an Ultimarc SpinTrak Spinner + Flyweight + Spinner Knob in MAME. I want the wheel for it that I linked above. It's great for Pole Position, even just spinning the spinner to drive. I am hoping to make room alongside one of my PC Wheels, it only needs a 30mm hole, but a deep hole, as it's over 60mm deep with the flyweight. Only slight downside, it's damn sensitive, and needs some tweaking for each game.
Sounds good. You probably already know but you can set a different spinner throttle value for each core in the MiSTer.ini. I am not sure about Mame.
Yeah, for MAME I use this list

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=164017.0

Not sure if that list can be used in the Mister ini, I guess a bit of trial and error would give me something to start with. Good luck with your wheel conversion. That wheel does look like a proper arcade type wheel.
Arcatech

Can anyone else check but I have used the supplied zImage_dtb for use with the OUTRUN core but noticed that on 2 seperate Mister setups I have here the USB ports are no longer showing as having anything being plugged into them and my WiFi dongle no longer works.

This have been confirmed on my Jamma Expander and Mistercade setups

Changing back to my original backup of the zImage_dtb file the USB ports start working again so it is something to do with that file.
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

Arcatech wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:12 am Can anyone else check but I have used the supplied zImage_dtb for use with the OUTRUN core but noticed that on 2 seperate Mister setups I have here the USB ports are no longer showing as having anything being plugged into them and my WiFi dongle no longer works.

Changing back to my original backup of the zImage_dtb file the USB ports start working again so it is something to do with that file.
Has to be something on your end. This has been tested by multiple people with wheel setups. You can also try this build if you plan to use logitech wheels as it has the changes applied as well. I've been using the kernel linked for over 90 days.

https://github.com/coolbho3k/Linux-Kern ... tag/v1.0.1
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

atrac17 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:11 am
Arcatech wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:12 am Can anyone else check but I have used the supplied zImage_dtb for use with the OUTRUN core but noticed that on 2 seperate Mister setups I have here the USB ports are no longer showing as having anything being plugged into them and my WiFi dongle no longer works.

Has to be something on your end. This has been tested by multiple people with wheel setups. You can also try this build if you plan to use logitech wheels as it has the changes applied as well. I've been using the kernel linked for over 90 days.

https://github.com/coolbho3k/Linux-Kern ... tag/v1.0.1
In what other cores can I use my Logitech with this build?