CGC Game 13: UN Squadron (Capcom Play System) [Arcade]

Join other MiSTer gamers, take part in high score challenges.
charmless

CGC Game 13: UN Squadron (Capcom Play System) [Arcade]

Unread post by charmless »

UN Squadron.png
UN Squadron.png (18.37 KiB) Viewed 3107 times

Bring out your arcade sticks, it's time to shoot stuff! Game 13 of the CGC is UN Squadron aka Area 88.

UN Squadron on Wikipedia
UN Squadron Longplay

Play however you'd like! The point is to enjoy and have fun, but if you would like to compete on high scores, please let us all know how you played (as in, with a arcade control panel, gamepad, etc.). We're on the honor system here for reporting high scores, so if you used cheats, fess up!

Please share with us your thoughts, jokes, frustrations or anything else related to this game that you may discover (i.e. if you discover the game itself was featured or visible in some other form of entertainment like a movie or TV show).

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

Re: CGC Game 13: UN Squadron (Capcom Play System) [Arcade]

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

This is a really solid shoot 'em up! You can upgrade your aircraft's capabilities between levels/missions. The graphic look good, and it's not overly difficult like some other entries in this genre. There was also a Super Nintendo port of this game.

Unfortunately I never knew about it in either form when it was new. Fortunately that won't change my enjoyment of it!
charmless

Unread post by charmless »

I haven't been able to play UN Squadron as much as I would have liked. But here are some random thoughts.

I prefer the SNES version if I'm playing by myself. It has a different sense of progression. But other than that this is one awesome shooting game. It's just well balanced. Hard but not too hard. I like the fact that you have a life-bar instead of several ships, it just keeps you in the action instead of sending you back to a checkpoint or resetting the action.

Stay far, far away from the Amiga version.

tvspelsdagboken I run a video game site (in Swedish)

PistolsAtDawn

charmless wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:42 am Stay far, far away from the Amiga version.
Well now I'm curious. What makes it that much worse?
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

I've only played the SNES version of this, so it will be good to compare to the Arcade version.

PistolsAtDawn

Hetzen wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:20 am

I've only played the SNES version of this, so it will be good to compare to the Arcade version.

One thing I appreciate in an arcade game over a console port is the ability to keep continuing all the way to the end by "adding credits" with the press of a button. Console ports often limit the number of continues.

I'm not much better than average at most games, so I can appreciate the ability to spam credits until the end of a hard game. This actually gives me the motivation to do better during my next run because I'm having more fun and enjoying playing instead of stressing over quarters or tokens.

Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:26 am

One thing I appreciate in an arcade game over a console port is the ability to keep continuing all the way to the end by "adding credits" with the press of a button. Console ports often limit the number of continues.

I'm not much better than average at most games, so I can appreciate the ability to spam credits until the end of a hard game. This actually gives me the motivation to do better during my next run because I'm having more fun and enjoying playing instead of stressing over quarters or tokens.

Agree about mashing credits. Back in the day, I'd have limited funds and a few hours to kill, so I probably spent more time watching other people play than playing, and rarely ever saw the end of the game outside of Youtube.

I don't know though if having unlimited access diminishes the commitment to play a game through to the end.

Anyway. Enjoyed this one. Only picked it up casually. Controls were tight. Agree with Charmless, the SNES version is an example of how arcade games get consolized for the better.