Phoenix Sound

IanDav

Phoenix Sound

Unread post by IanDav »

Hello all.

I’m relatively new to MiSTer, so I have just been quickly going through some of the cores before I spend more time trying to getting individual settings right. One of the first games I booted up was Phoenix, as it holds many memories for me from my childhood.

However, I quickly realized that the audio is very inaccurate, being nothing like the original arcade game. Is this a work in progress or is likely to remain that way?

Thanks.
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Phoenix Sound

Unread post by thorr »

IanDav wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:36 pm However, I quickly realized that the audio is very inaccurate, being nothing like the original arcade game. Is this a work in progress or is likely to remain that way?
Welcome! One of the best ways to get these things resolved is to open or update issues on github. It looks like there is already an issue there. Check it out and see if you have anything to add to the issue. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... Ter/issues

You may also have success reaching out on the MiSTer discord, but that is something I don't use very often and know very little about.
IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

thorr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:29 am
IanDav wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:36 pm However, I quickly realized that the audio is very inaccurate, being nothing like the original arcade game. Is this a work in progress or is likely to remain that way?
Welcome! One of the best ways to get these things resolved is to open or update issues on github. It looks like there is already an issue there. Check it out and see if you have anything to add to the issue. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade- ... Ter/issues

You may also have success reaching out on the MiSTer discord, but that is something I don't use very often and know very little about.
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem like there's any response to the Github post sadly. I'll have a look on Discord too.

Cheers,

Ian.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Both Sorgelig and AlanSwx worked on this the most, I've @ed Alan in the issue comments, maybe he could have a look at it.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

What you need is a recording from a PCB and one from the Mister showing the issue. Memory isnt good enough to bug fix from and most of the Youtube videos are not from PCBs but emulators which may be wrong anyway
IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

FPGA64 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:52 pm What you need is a recording from a PCB and one from the Mister showing the issue. Memory isnt good enough to bug fix from and most of the Youtube videos are not from PCBs but emulators which may be wrong anyway
There are some YouTube videos from original hardware, and you can here the difference there, but it's not clear enough to use, and getting a recording in isolation is hard. Only place I know that has a cab close to me is Arcade Club in Bury, but it has many many machines there and you can't hear them individually.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Other issue is there are many bootlegs of Phoenix. So what is remembered from the Arcade may not be what a real "official" Phoenix sounded like.
darfpga
Core Developer

Unread post by darfpga »

Thanks.
Thanks for noticing the issue. Phoenix is not work in progress, I wrote this core on 2016 for DE2-35 board. Phoenix sound requires a nice amount of work due to the fact that it is based on digital and analog parts. I spent a good amount of time in understanding schematics, make Matlab simulation and then translate to VHDL. The result may be inaccurate but sounds to me not so bad and fit nicely into my current board.

Anyway I've just make a comparison with Mame sound and agreed that at least birds of level 3, 4 and mother's ship sounds are wrong. Spectrogram is clear on that point. So I'm going to look deeper into it.

You'll have to be patient because I have to first move my early DE2-35 core to my current debug platform DE10_lite...

Meanwhile take a seat and just listen to Jeux Interdits and La lettre à Élise.

Dar.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Thanks for the improvement updates on the sound!