Saves After Moving a CHD to a New Directory

Zarkov

Saves After Moving a CHD to a New Directory

Unread post by Zarkov »

I have some significant hours invested into a game on the PSX core that uses saves, and I had to change the location of the .chd for this game to a different directory. When I did this, the saves are gone. If I move the .chd back, after recreating the folder, it shows up again.

I understand where the saves file is stored and can go to it but its not a editable txt file, so I cant manually update what I need to for it to point to the new location.

So am I just stuck with having to leave the .chd where it is forever, and/or, have to start from scratch? Or is there a way to move the .chd and somehow transfer or update the save file to redirect to the new location.

Seems like you really need to have your folder structure nailed down before investing any time into saves if this is a permanent factor to the saves.

Perhaps it would be better to have the option to have a separate save file, for each game, stored at the location of the .chd. This way you could move them and it wouldn't break the saves. Or maybe we need a tool to tell the core to manually update a save for a specific core and it could identify which saves don't have matching .chd's then look for them, or ask the user where to look etc.

And ideas or advice is appreciated, for now I'm just leaving it in the incorrect directory until a solution is found.

Thanks for your time ya'll and I'm always amazed at how great the MisterFPGA project is. It's making playing the old games so much better with save states and the amazing quality. The playstation in particular, I love how there is no audio buzzing due to cheap rgb cables on original hardware. This is especially important since, in my opinion, the best thing about the original ps1 is the sound.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Saves After Moving a CHD to a New Directory

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

From the top of my head, the save file name is the same as the folder name.
Count Duckula

Re: Saves After Moving a CHD to a New Directory

Unread post by Count Duckula »

LamerDeluxe is correct. Rename the game's save file (/saves/PSX/<old folder name>.sav) to /saves/PSX/<new folder name>.sav and the core will load it.

Each game should be stored within its own folder inside /games/PSX/ so they get their own memcard created automatically.