MegaAGS Games and Just a Gamepad

Kirschsuppe

MegaAGS Games and Just a Gamepad

Unread post by Kirschsuppe »

I try to play one of my favourites Games, but to go from the intro to the real Game it needs a press on the spacebar. I prefer to not have a keyboard connected in my living room. Is it possible to map the spacebar or the delete key or other keyboard-presses to the gamepad? Other options could be to perhaps tweak somewhere else in the chain (e.g. whdload). Any clue? Thanks in advance.

neogeo81

Re: MegaAGS Games and Just a Gamepad

Unread post by neogeo81 »

you dont need to push the space bar.
Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

^ I think they mean in the game they select. Not to start the game within MegaAGS.

Worse case you could use one of those USB joystick using a ProMicro. I've used them on Raspberry Pi based arcades and I mapped 'button presses' to keyboard inputs. So for example Left = A.
So you would just map Keyboard keys to the button inputs. Could have a dedicated button for F12 etc.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Mister has a "per game" input remap feature in the in-core menu that lets you map gamepad buttons to keyboard keys, however the settings are not remembered after a core reboot.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

You need a keyboard to do the remap, that is the issue. You select remap, from the menu, then you need to press the key you want to map (Spacebar), then press the Joystick/Pad button you want to map to. I do this all the time with Computer cores, such as ZX Spectrum, and games with no Joystick support.
Probably easier if you just got yourself a mini Rii wireless keyboard, then you can put it away when it's not needed - these are tiny keyboards, and work well.
Kirschsuppe

Thanks! And the riis are ridicolously cheap.
@neogeo81 .. try wings of death without a keyboard
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Yeah, if you have an Amazon Prime Account, then a few are on Black Friday sale.
The one I did use is this one,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RNCJ39B/

This is on sale for a few more days. I only use mine on a Raspberry Pi, now, and now use a fullsize PC keyboard on my Mister.

Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:59 pm Mister has a "per game" input remap feature in the in-core menu that lets you map gamepad buttons to keyboard keys, however the settings are not remembered after a core reboot.
They're not saved when you save core settings? If not, that's a remarkably useless feature.
Kirschsuppe

If that is the case, then I can leave the mapping alone and just hide the rii in a drawer and use it from time to time.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Malor wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:05 am
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:59 pm Mister has a "per game" input remap feature in the in-core menu that lets you map gamepad buttons to keyboard keys, however the settings are not remembered after a core reboot.
They're not saved when you save core settings? If not, that's a remarkably useless feature.
Agreed. I wish there was a similar solution that does get saved. This is one of the advantages that the "The C64" line of products has over the MiSTer.