Weird Monitor Behaviour

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Robgus

Weird Monitor Behaviour

Unread post by Robgus »

Hi,

When my Mister boots and my Dell2007fpb auto adjusts I get this weird behaviour. At first the menu is centered but after adjusting it gets off center with a black border... does anyone know why that is?

Attachments
IMG_6642.jpeg
IMG_6642.jpeg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 876 times
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Weird Monitor Behaviour

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I'm assuming you are using VGA connection. With LCDs its best to use DVI if possible for a direct digital connection, and this monitor should support it. Among other things it will eliminate any need for auto-adjust. Pick up any cheap HDMI->DVI adapter from Amazon and set the resolution for your monitor and it should be fine

Code: Select all

dvi_mode=1
video_mode=1600,1200,60,cvt
Robgus

Unread post by Robgus »

Thanks alot!

You're correct, I am using the vga connection (with vga cable). Will it work with a hdmi to vga adapter, I'm asking because I think I got one laying around or is it better overall to use DVI?

Also, I've read that dvi adds some lag, is that true?

Thanks!

breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

why doesn't you simply use hdmi to dvi cable ?

CPC-Power Staff
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Its the opposite, some of these older LCDs can be laggier on the analog side. It has to go through the process of sampling analog input into quantized digital pixels before it can display. HDMI->DVI keeps the entire thing in a digital pixel format so there is zero loss of quality and gives Mister the max control over scaling the image, and as mentioned these adapters are under $10.

Robgus

Unread post by Robgus »

Alright! Thanks!

Robgus

Unread post by Robgus »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Its the opposite, some of these older LCDs can be laggier on the analog side. It has to go through the process of sampling analog input into quantized digital pixels before it can display. HDMI->DVI keeps the entire thing in a digital pixel format so there is zero loss of quality and gives Mister the max control over scaling the image, and as mentioned these adapters are under $10.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Changed to dvi and no more strange auto adjusting problems. I did however see a change in colour. It was more vibrant with the VGA.

Btw, what's your take on the vsync_adjust? Currently I have it set to 2.