DB9 Mouse on MiSTer

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Vokgear

DB9 Mouse on MiSTer

Unread post by Vokgear »

Hi there!

I need some help about my Atari ST (and Amiga) setup, maybe someone already had the same challenge.
I really would like to use my original Atari ST mouse with the Atari ST core. No need to talk about
the advantage of available USB-mice, for me only one of my old mouse do feel right with those cores.
Both, the Atari and the Logitech (M-PG 14) mouse just work fine with my real Atari ST.
First try to connect the mouse to the MiSTer was an Arduino micro pro and a tutorial on github. (can´t remember
the site, sorry). Second try was a cheap db9-usb adapter I found on internet. And the last try was the "Retrofun" adapter,
which should be able to use an Atari mouse on modern PC. With the configurator software it came with it can be
adapted to the setting "Atari ST mouse".
Result with all the three adapter is that it can be used for a db9 joystick, all work fine with them on PC and MiSTer, but
none of them is able to let me use a mouse (windows 10 > control panel > hardware and printer > mouse > preference ... )

Is anyone using an db9 mouse with Atari ST or Amiga core (or on PC) and can tell how to set it up?

Thanks in advance
Vokgear

my setup is in the attached picture

Attachments
picture of the adapter
picture of the adapter
db9-usb adapter.jpg (228.27 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Re: DB9 Mouse on MiSTer

Unread post by breiztiger »

hi

i use this kind of db9 to usb adapter

https://www.retronicdesign.com

CPC-Power Staff
Vokgear

Unread post by Vokgear »

breiztiger wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:15 pm

hi

i use this kind of db9 to usb adapter

https://www.retronicdesign.com

Hi, thanks for your response.
Do you use a db9 mouse with this adapter and if so, does it work with the Atari core?

best regards
Vokgear

breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

i use a amiga tank db9 mouse

and yes that work also with atari st core

CPC-Power Staff
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

2600-daptor D9 supposedly supports both Amiga and ST mouse and is very low latency. My Atari mouse is broken though (as tested on real ST) so its hard to verify personally. Works great with joysticks though.

Grumpy-Old-Gamer

Unread post by Grumpy-Old-Gamer »

I just use a BT mouse I share with the PC currently works fine on Amiga, ST, PC etc

I do have one of the Kickstarter modern Amiga tank mouses arriving at some point though....

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:10 pm

2600-daptor D9 supposedly supports both Amiga and ST mouse and is very low latency. My Atari mouse is broken though (as tested on real ST) so its hard to verify personally. Works great with joysticks though.

I've just received my D9 adapters. Tried them with multiple different Amiga mice on both MiSTer and PC. It works, however there seems to be a 'jitter bug' currently. In all directions the mouse moves three pixels in the right direction and then one in the opposite direction.

Updating to the latest firmware didn't solve it. I mailed the creator of the daptor about it, hopefully it can be fixed.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I'm happy to say that after some back and forth and testing a few firmware updates, the firmware update I received today from the creator of the Daptor D9 solves the mouse jitter problem. My Amiga mice now work perfectly with this adapter.

Apart from that, this adapter works great with paddles and supports lots of other DB9 controllers as well.

chunky_tesco

Unread post by chunky_tesco »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:22 am

I'm happy to say that after some back and forth and testing a few firmware updates, the firmware update I received today from the creator of the Daptor D9 solves the mouse jitter problem. My Amiga mice now work perfectly with this adapter.

Apart from that, this adapter works great with paddles and supports lots of other DB9 controllers as well.

does this adapter work with the Oil Imperium minigame on Minimig?

Vokgear

Unread post by Vokgear »

Thanks to @breiztiger and @FoxbatStargazer, I bought both, the adapter from retronicdesign and the 2600-daptor D9.
Yeah, both work fine on the MiSTer now. The adapter from retrodesign seems to have a little lag, but it can depend
on my setup (USB fast-polling on / off making no difference at my setup). The 2600-daptor D9 works absolutely perfectly
after the new update 230128. Thanks @LamerDeluxe for posting the information here, I am very happy now with
using my old mouse again. That feels right :-)
@chunky-tesco: yes, it should work when it works with any other usb-mouse also.

I should also mention that all the adapter I tested are working absolutely great with joysticks with no perceptible lag for me.

usb-db9.jpg
usb-db9.jpg (89.94 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Thanks for all your help pals!