Setting up twin sticks for Ipac2

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Goyle667

Setting up twin sticks for Ipac2

Unread post by Goyle667 »

Had to jump through a few hoops to get this working, for those that are still having trouble doing so this is how I did it.

1) Go to misters (Define joystick buttons) and set up player 1 stick/buttons as normal, then add the extra mouse moves right,left,down,up mapping to any of the buttons on the player 2 side of your control panel but take note of your button mapping as you'll need this in the next step. Don't forget any buttons mappings you don't need skip with the space bar, but make sure to skip to the end or you mappings won't be saved (don't press escape key to get out of the mappings screen)

2)Load the Robotron core and select the fire option to (Fire: Second Joystick)

3)Move to the (Define robotron buttons) page and set up stick 1 as normal but when you come to stick 2 fire setup mappings press the player 2 buttons you mapped as mouse move right,left,down,up.

4)Now select (Button/key remap for game) menu and press the player 2 button you mapped for mouse move right and then move player 2 stick right, press mouse move left button on player 2 side and move player 2 stick left. Do the same for the down/up buttons and press enter on your keyboard to exit the remap setup. That should be it, you should now have twin stick action on your control panel.

Don't forget to (save settings) when you've got it working as it should.

Sharpfork

Re: Setting up twin sticks for Ipac2

Unread post by Sharpfork »

Thanks, this helped me setup with different hardware.

What I gleaned from your write up is that most arcade cores need input on a single controller. I noticed in the main .ini file that there is a way to combine two controllers to show up as one which some folks might need to do.

J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

Nice! My Ipac2 just arrived today (swapping it in place of a broken GPWiz40). I'll keep this in mind! Robotron is one of my favorite old games, so this will be a must. Thanks!

Sharpfork

Unread post by Sharpfork »

J3RK wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:16 pm

Nice! My Ipac2 just arrived today (swapping it in place of a broken GPWiz40). I'll keep this in mind! Robotron is one of my favorite old games, so this will be a must. Thanks!

How do you plan on setting the config for two player games with the second stick mapped to player one?

J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

Sharpfork wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:34 am
J3RK wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:16 pm

How do you plan on setting the config for two player games with the second stick mapped to player one?

I actually managed to get the GPWiz40 working, so I stuck with that one for my arcade stick setup. However, I do still plan to make use of the IPAC2 for some additional controls in the near future. Both of them are quite nice. I'm hoping to get a chance to play with some of this over the weekend, so I'll post back about doing this mapping.

razorbackdad

Unread post by razorbackdad »

J3RK, did the mapping work, I am also interested in using two sticks for Robot Ron and building a new board with Ipac.

J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

It’s been a while. Thought I’d update this though.

I had to switch back from the GPWiz 40 Max to the Ipac 2.

The GP works great in Windows, but was a bit flaky on the MiSTer. I rewired it from scratch, plugged it in, and it worked flawlessly for two players on first mapping.

I did add the ID to the INI file in the duplicate control section.

The only issue I’m having, is while it recognizes the directions, six standard control buttons, and start/select buttons, it’s not seeing the seventh button on each player. I was hoping to use these for the menu button, etc.

I’ve got some ideas though. I think the programming for the Ipac2 is pretty flexible on Windows, so might give that a try for those 7th buttons.

Will update again when I figure that out.

Next step, try with Robotron.

J3RK

Unread post by J3RK »

Robotron works perfectly in two stick mode.

I also got the additional buttons working. Had to turn them on using the Windows Ipac config app they 7 and 8 buttons were simply disabled.

Now I just have to figure out my spinner issues, but those aren’t Ipac related.