Access 3.5 DOS launcher/menu

rcblanke

Access 3.5 DOS launcher/menu

Unread post by rcblanke »

Hi everybody,

First of all, thanks for this great core!

I'm the author of the free and open-source 'Access' (or 'XX'), a DOS menu application which I wrote in the early 90's. Because I noticed Access version 3.01 (which is text-mode only) did not work correctly on the PC/XT MiSTer core, I've decided to rewrite it in Turbo C. Version 3.01 fails to run on the Mister PC/XT core, AFAIK because of incompatibilities between Borland Turbo Basic and the XTIDE BIOS. Also, 3.01 doesn't show the correct colours on CGA systems.

This new release will work properly on 8088 CGA systems such as the one PC/XT tries to replicate. MDA, EGA, VGA and Tandy should also work fine. DOS 3.30 or newer is required. The main executable (access.exe) is a drop-in replacement for the Access 3.01 one, all other files from 3.01 have remained the same. I've put some effort into making it as fast as I could, so it should be kinda bearable on a 4.77Mhz 'machine', and a mouse is supported. I hope this is useful to anyone!

• Stores up to 400 profiles

• Uses batch-file trickery and doesn't stay memory-resident, so uses no conventional memory to run your games and applications

• You can make use of the 'quickkey' field to instantly jump to a title

• Allows for manual disk browsing, and automatic searching

Just extract the zip to a directory of your liking (for example, C:\XX) and add that folder to your DOS PATH. Start with XX.
If you find any issues, please let me know and I'll see if I can improve things!

Access 3.5

Souce code
website

Kindest regards,
Ronald