peke

Re: Out Run Public Release Tomorrow?

Unread post by peke »

update all didn´t grab anything for me

=(

Bumtree

Unread post by Bumtree »

I'm not complaining but after an update a couple of hours ago there's nothing related to Out Run on my system. I expect the distribution issue will be fixed at some point.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@peke, @Bumtree. @AnyoneExperiencingProblems
There is some sort of problem which I think is related to the fact that Jotego decided to remove the timestamp in the name of his cores.
For example the name of the core is jtoutrun.rbf and not jtoutrun_20230324.rbf.
If this is the case I don't think it will be fixed shortly.
If you want to get it you can manually download it from https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/tree/ma ... n/releases, place the rbf in _Arcade/cores and the mras in Arcade. Make sure you don't have a jtoutrun<TimeStamp>.rbf in _Arcade/cores and if there is one delete it.
Check in games/mame if you have outrun.zip and toutrun.zip. If you have them you are ready to go. If you don't run the update all script to see if it will get them and if doesn't you will have to find them yourself.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Removing the old rbf, update_all only downloaded another rbf file and no mra files. Installed everything by hand, thanks for the tips jca, ran update_all again for the MAME files. Now it works.

Sound effects are still really off, but it is fantastic to have Outrun on MiSTer. I'm hoping to eventually have Galaxy Force II on the MiSTer as well.

Somewhat related, the Sega 3D Classics on the 3DS include these games and more, with improvements and are really fantastic.

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

jca wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:43 am

There is some sort of problem which I think is related to the fact that Jotego decided to remove the timestamp in the name of his cores.
If you want to get it you can manually download it from https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/tree/ma ... n/releases, place the rbf in _Arcade/cores and the mras in Arcade. Make sure you don't have a jtoutrun<TimeStamp>.rbf in _Arcade/cores and if there is one delete it.
Check in games/mame if you have outrun.zip and toutrun.zip. If you have them you are ready to go. If you don't run the update all script to see if it will get them and if doesn't you will have to find them yourself.

Thanks for the heads-up! This way worked for me too.

peke

Unread post by peke »

jca wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:43 am

thanks jca! I did all manualy....also want to test battlezone but have to download it manual too....don´t know why?

update all didn´t grab hang on too

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

peke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:13 pm

also want to test battlezone but have to download it manual too....don´t know why?

update all didn´t grab hang on too

I had no trouble with BattleZone, it is possible that you tried update all too early, before Distribution_MiSTer was automatically updated.
Hang-On has not been released to the public, only Out Run.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I have noticed today that once the game has loaded if I open the OSD I only get one screen, the screen that says Core at the top. I can't move to another page, which means I can't access the page with the DIP settings. It's working fine on other games. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Bumtree

Unread post by Bumtree »

@Aspie me too. Same issue with Turbo Out Run too.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Ok thanks for that Bumtree, I thought maybe I'd altered something in the settings by mistake. It also means there is no access to the reset the game option

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@Aspie, @ Bumtree
Are you sure you have the right rbf?
When I open the OSD the page displayed is the one with "DIP Switches" at the top and Reset at the bottom, I can go to the next page is the one with Core at the top.
Try deleting config/outrun.CFG and config/dips/Out Run (sitdown-upright, Rev B).dip and see if it helps.
As you have the screen with the Core at the top see what it says when you select About.

MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

Bumtree wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:15 pm

@Aspie me too. Same issue with Turbo Out Run too.

Same here!

jca wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:19 pm

@Aspie, @ Bumtree
Are you sure you have the right rbf?
When I open the OSD the page displayed is the one with "DIP Switches" at the top and Reset at the bottom, I can go to the next page is the one with Core at the top.
Try deleting config/outrun.CFG and config/dips/Out Run (sitdown-upright, Rev B).dip and see if it helps.
As you have the screen with the Core at the top see what it says when you select About.

Downloaded the RBF and MRAs straight from JT's Git, deleted the .dip's, deleted the nvram's. Both Out Run and Turbo Out Run do not have have core options - just the MiSTer options.

On the plus side, after this update the core no longer maked the MiSTer menu get all strangely bolded, and shadow masks don't alter the color of the games. During the beta, these were both very strange effects I've never seen another core do. Glad that's all sorted. :)

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

MadDog wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:44 pm

Both Out Run and Turbo Out Run do not have have core options - just the MiSTer options.

:?:

PistolsAtDawn

Unread post by PistolsAtDawn »

I can confirm those options are missing now. They were there in the beta, but even on a fresh installation that whole menu section is not there.

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:02 am

Somewhat related, the Sega 3D Classics on the 3DS include these games and more, with improvements and are really fantastic.

That's my favorite way to play Outrun. The extra depth you get from the 3D helps see ahead, even if that's just my perception.

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:00 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:02 am

That's my favorite way to play Outrun. The extra depth you get from the 3D helps see ahead, even if that's just my perception.

Absolutely, stereoscopic 3D in general really helps with judging distances. Recently many people have been discovering this with Gran Turismo 7, in combination with the recently released PS VR2. I noticed it at first, back in the day, playing Unreal Tournament with shutter glasses.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I tried deleting everything related to Out Run in the config folder and the problem is still there, only one screen in the OSD menu.

jca, are you using the version that was updated on Friday? I grabbed that and everything seemed fine. But on Saturday morning there was another update added to the github, so that's the one I'm using now.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks @Aspie, now I understand what you were talking about. I downloaded the new rbf and also the mras. Yes, it is broken. I did not realize that there was another version.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

FatSlob71 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:09 pm

update all is a Disaster!

If you refer to the fact that it does not download OutRun I wouldn't say that update all is a disaster but the fact that Jotego decided to remove the TimeStamp from the core names is a disaster.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

There used to be a place on github where you could download older versions of cores. Has this gone now? I'd like to download Fridays version again :D
This has happened with Track and Field. It was fully working, saving scores and records. Then with all the messing about updating and renaming things somehow an older version gets downloaded. Luckily I have the good version saved safely away and have to replace the broken Track and Field rbf every time.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Old versions used to be on Github in the release folder because the cores had a timestamp in their name but as this timestamp was removed and his Github cleaned up they are no longer there. But things get worse with update all which does no longer understand what is going on and does not update the blob which is used when running update all. If for example you delete jtoutrun.rbf and run update all the version of jtoutrun.rbf which will be downloaded will be the beta version which was on Github the day Jotego decided to get rid of the timestamp. At this point it becomes almost impossible to know what you have on your MISTer.
Hopefully a solution to this problem will be found in the future, the easiest would be to revert to core names which include the timestamp. As of today each time there is a JTFriday you will have to do like you did in the old times before the creation of the update scripts: download everything manually from Github with the exception of the ROMs which the Arcade ROM DB will do for you.

PistolsAtDawn

Aspie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:28 pm

There used to be a place on github where you could download older versions of cores. Has this gone now? I'd like to download Fridays version again :D

Here is the direct link to the core published to Github on Friday that still had both pages of options in the OSD:

https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/blob/bb ... outrun.rbf

Can someone please confirm for me: while staying in low gear, are you able to exceed 194 km/h? You should not be, yet I am able to do just that. Also while at top speed in high gear if you change to low gear you will lose speed all the way down to that same 194 km/r. My tires spin but there is no loss of speed.

Jotego and another github commenter say it works for them. I have not been able to replicate that. I am asking the other user some follow-up questions, but I am getting nowhere with figuring this out. I have even setup a fresh installation on a separate SD card using Mr. Fusion and update_all.

Neither version of the core (the one from Saturday or Friday) behave this way for me, and I cannot determine why.

The ROM was pulled by update_all and matches the version I had acquired separately for use outside of the MiSTer:

Code: Select all

/media/fat/games/mame# md5sum outrun.zip
e731f4792e481349b8aed3510cb3feab outrun.zip

That same ROM plays as expected in MAME. :?

Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

PistolsAtDawn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:49 pm

Here is the direct link to the core published to Github on Friday that still had both pages of options in the OSD:

Thanks for pointing that out!

Can someone please confirm for me: while staying in low gear, are you able to exceed 194 km/h? You should not be, yet I am able to do just that. Also while at top speed in high gear if you change to low gear you will lose speed all the way down to that same 194 km/r. My tires spin but there is no loss of speed.

I can confirm that I am able to exceed 194 km/h staying in low gear.

PistolsAtDawn

Alkadian wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:40 pm

Thanks for pointing that out!

I can confirm that I am able to exceed 194 km/h staying in low gear.

Sure thing! I was digging for the file for troubleshooting purposes anyway, and I saw the request / need for the link here.

Thank you for confirming that for me. If you let your Ferrari get all the way at or near top speed (293 km/r) and change gear, do your tires spin? Mine do, but there's no loss in speed. I can go back and forth with nothing happening other than the tires spinning.

SO that's two users saying it's fine (one with video proof!) and two saying it's not fine. Very, very perplexing!

Edit: If using a gamepad, the shift button needs to be held down to stay in low gear. That's why this wasn't working as expected. I thought it was like MAME and a toggle setting.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

PistolsAtDawn, thanks for the link, it now works. Strange though because that is the same place I got the newer Saturday morning version from.

Another question. Out Run was ported on almost every console and computer system. On these versions there was a high/low gear indictor somewhere on screen. Did the original arcade version never have this?

Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

Aspie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:55 am

Another question. Out Run was ported on almost every console and computer system. On these versions there was a high/low gear indictor somewhere on screen. Did the original arcade version never have this?

No. The physical gear stick was the only indicator to tell what gear you were in on the arcade version.

PistolsAtDawn

Aspie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:55 am

PistolsAtDawn, thanks for the link, it now works. Strange though because that is the same place I got the newer Saturday morning version from.

That's because the one I linked is from Friday. The most current rbf file (and the one that update_all is grabbing) is from Saturday.

There's no indicator, but you won't be in low gear unless you're holding down the shift button anyway (if using a gamepad). If that shift button isn't pressed, then you are in high gear.

Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I didn't grab the Saturday version using update_all. I manually downloaded it from github. I still have the file sat on my desktop.

eldritch

Unread post by eldritch »

Glad to see a public release, this was one of my favorites growing up.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Jotego is still working on the core.

What you are experiencing may be this:
jotego @topapate Mar 27
For my own peace of mind, let me fix the mistery of the missing lines
It seems to occur only on the left side of large sprites and it never takes more than a quarter or so of the screen.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

i wonder what the reasoning was behind removing the timestamps on the cores.. seems to have really messed things up

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back