Using GBA as a controller?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
retrofan01

Using GBA as a controller?

Unread post by retrofan01 »

Has anyone managed to get a GBA working as a controller on MiSTer? If so, how did you manage it?

I'm using my AGB-001 GBA -> Nintendo DOL-011 Gamecube-GBA adaptor -> Mayflash GC 4-port controller adaptor (PC mode) -> MiSTer USB Hub 2.1 but button presses do not register in any of the menus including 'Define joystick buttons'. I tried a GameCube controller in place of the GBA and that works fine. Could it be that the DOL-011 adaptor isn't compatible with MiSTer?

I'm aware of this wireless adaptor which lets you use your Game Boy, GBC and GBA as a controller but I'd rather make use of what I already have if possible.

Longtime4321

Re: Using GBA as a controller?

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

This is something I'm interested in. GBA games were designed around the small D-Pad. Wall jumping in Metroid Zero Mission is near impossible on a larger D-Pad.
I'd pay for a GBA SNAC.

retrofan01

Unread post by retrofan01 »

Managed to get it working - I just had to put the GBA into controller mode using GBI Player on a GameCube or the GBA-as-Controller utility (requires a flash cart) first then connect it to the Mayflash adaptor while it's still on.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

retrofan01 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:28 pm

Managed to get it working - I just had to put the GBA into controller mode using GBI Player on a GameCube or the GBA-as-Controller utility (requires a flash cart) first then connect it to the Mayflash adaptor while it's still on.

amazing! i gotta dig up some old hardware and try this!