Best way to handle ROMs?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
misterrocks

Best way to handle ROMs?

Unread post by misterrocks »

Is there an update script that will download everything including ROMs?

I've read that update_all will do that but only for arcade games, is that correct?

I see a lot of individual console ROMs on the r/ROMs megathread but not many individual arcade ROMs. Are they on there?

Is moving the SD card between systems the best way to go for copying ROMs to the card?

Longtime4321

Re: Best way to handle ROMs?

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

You can find collectoins of roms on archive.org .
The best way to transfer data between a computer and the MiSTer is to use the MiSTer's built in FTP protocol.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Wiki_Mi ... ork-access

Hat

Unread post by Hat »

This article from the documentation should answer your question about transferring files.
https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... tup/games/

grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

No!
Yes!
Have no clue!
Depends on you and how often!

One reason to NOT have a script download all roms is that it will take up a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of space and network traffic.
And first what will be considered as all roms?
Is the complete US roms it or will all revisions need to be in there for example some amiga games have many revisions and even some old NES games have 2-3 revisions.
To me atleast the roms for EU/Jap/and some other regions games that is not released in US is needed to call it all roms bur different revisions does not need to be there.

Should alpha/beta/unreleased/hacked/translated roms be in there to be called all roms?
If yes everything should be there (and SOME people would think this) then MY snes folder is a bit over 73GB
Genesis around 9-10GB, NES 5-6GB

My entire Mister folder which is on a NAS is around 600GB.
That does NOT include ANY PSX(400+GB)/Saturn roms.
SOooo downloading 1TB+ usinmg a script on the DE-10 is not what i would consider particularly fast or fun :mrgreen:

One reason that the arcade roms can be downloaded is that they mostly use MAME roms and HBMame BUT they use roms from a couple of different MAME sets.
Which makes it a pain to track down/download all of them one at the time.
On top of that MAME is distributed in three different kind of sets that will make them three different sizeshttps://journalxtra.com/mame/download-c ... mame-roms/ for more info on that.
And using the wrong rom for a game can cause some bugs/weird behavior so the update all IS a real good help there.
For consoles/computers the help is much less since most if not all of them already have rompacks out there.

misterrocks

Unread post by misterrocks »

Got it. Does update_all grab all of the arcade games or do some still need to be downloaded separately?

What kind of console rompacks should I be looking for? Is there one rompack per console?

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Update All grabs them all as long as you have Aracade ROM DB enable and the core is an official one or a Jotego one (if enabled).

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

misterrocks wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:41 pm

Got it. Does update_all grab all of the arcade games or do some still need to be downloaded separately?

What kind of console rompacks should I be looking for? Is there one rompack per console?

arcade is all grabed by update_all exemption are the wip cores.

i would look for htgdb-gamepacks on archive.org. There are almost all rom packs you need and also most are mister ready.