Keyboard with spinner?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
jordi

Keyboard with spinner?

Unread post by jordi »

https://keychron.com.es/products/keychr ... 7964394662

I saw this keyboard featuring an embedded spinner

Anyone tested something similar?

DevilHunterWolf

Re: Keyboard with spinner?

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

This kind of knob looks to be a programmable device rather than specifically a mouse input. There's probably a way to program it as just a simple mouse movement but then you have to take a step back to ask why you're doing it in the first place. It's not a spinner which means it's not going to free spin like a good arcade spinner can. It might even have little stops so you can tell you did one click which that is not ideal for arcade games. That and a smaller dial means you're losing some of the control you'd have over it. A larger dial is both easier for smaller, more precise turns and also plenty to grip for giving it a good solid spin. Not to mention you always have those keys surrounding two sides of the knob on that keyboard so hectic play may be a bit bumpy.

Ultimately whether or not it could be used with something like MiSTer depends on how it stores its programming. If it stores it internally and can be picked up as a standard keyboard and mouse, there could be a chance of it working with MiSTer. But if it relies at all on installing a driver or piece of software to work as more than a basic keyboard, then that's a no go for MiSTer. But I'd caution against it even if it did work for the reasons I already mentioned.