MiSTress1200 and MT32-Pi Configuration Problems

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
NightShadowPT

MiSTress1200 and MT32-Pi Configuration Problems

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Hi,

I have just bought an MT32-Pi (from Ultimate Mister) and I'm having some trouble configuring it with my MiSter (using a Mistress 1200 board).

Basically the issue is that the MiSTer does not seem to be able to detect the MT32-pi (the MiSTer logo does not show during the MT32-pi boot and the MT32-pi menu option is not showing on the MiSTer menu).

Other than this, the MIDI commands are being passed on to the MT32-pi (you can see the equalizer working), but I cannot get the sound back to the MiSTer.

If I change the audio output to PWM (the headphone out on the Raspberry Pi) I can get audio out, but as you may be aware this is not recommended because it has significant distortion levels (as also identified by the MT32-pi project itself).

I know the problem is not the cable, or the MT32-Pi because I have another MiSTer that can detect the MT32-pi without any issues. My guess is this is an issue with the MiSTress 1200 :(

Right now, I'm stuck between having horrible sound, full of noise and distortion from the Raspberry Pi audio out, or no sound at all.

Any ideas/recommendations?

P.S.: I am using the latest version of MT32-pi at the time of writing (0.13.1), and yes, I have tried another SD card and reinstalling the MT32-pi on the card.

rickdangerous

Re: MiSTress1200 and MT32-Pi Configuration Problems

Unread post by rickdangerous »

Hello. The 8bits seller say "Includes all same connections as the official analog I/O board 6.1."
You must have a jumper to configure the serial port. Must be in I/O mode for MT32pi work.

Regards
Ricardo

MiSTer and FPGA Gaming European Shop
Classic MiSTer, MultiSystem, JAMMIX iTX and Official Addons.
https://ultimatemister.com powered by RetroShop.pt

ifoo

Unread post by ifoo »

I'm having the same issue right now. Were you able to fix it?

NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

ifoo wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:28 pm

I'm having the same issue right now. Were you able to fix it?

Unfortunately, I was not able to fix the issue yet - holidays and other live topics got in the way.

I have contacted 8bits, the seller of the MiSTress, and after some back and forth with troubleshooting and ensuring my jumpers where all in the right place, they told me that maybe my board was bad (and offered to check it for me - just need to send it). I was not entirely convinced, so I decided to postpone sending the board until I have time for some additional troubleshooting.

I have a hunch it's not a bad board, but either a configuration issue, or a board design mistake/incompatibility.

@ifoo, you having the same problem just confirms my suspicion.

Where you able to progress any further on your troubleshooting?