White Screen?

ColdSpike

White Screen?

Unread post by ColdSpike »

So I finally was able to convert my set of rooms to the .neo format. Great right? No, because while the core does load them, I only see a white screen. If I tell the core to switch from the AES console to the arcade core and reset, it just loads up a garbled mess on all of them or a green screen. I have the full SDRAM module installed. I'm quite confused. The folder containing the games have each rom inside their own folder with the following files:

000-lo.lo
uni-bios.rom
sfix.sfix
neo-epo.sp1
sp-s2.sp1
gog-broken-romsets
gog-romsets
romsets

I tried update all. I got nothing :(

12characters

Re: White Screen?

Unread post by 12characters »

The XML files and the rule that each game's ROM files must be in their own folder apply to ROMs in Darksoft format, not .neo format. Try removing the XML files (gog-broken-romsets.xml, gog-romsets.xml, romsets.xml) and moving the .neo files to the main NEOGEO folder.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am not so sure of that:
On my MISTer I have the Darsoft roms but I also have a few neo ROMs and I have no problem. I cannot access my MISTer right now but if I remember correctly I have the Darksoft ROMs zipped in the NeoGeo folder and each neo ROM in its own directory. For the neo ROMs they can also be in NeoGeo directory but I placed then in their own directory for the following reason:
Whatever name I give to a neo ROM the OSD does not display the name of the file but gets the name from within the file itself and this name is not very descriptive.
For the directory of each neo ROM I give a descriptive name.
A long time ago I asked if it was possible to change the name contained in neo ROMs but never got an answer.
Once I can access my MISTer I will confirm what I said.

jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

What I said previously is basically exact.
I have the same BIOS files and xml files as yours.
Each Darksoft ROM is zipped and is in the NEOGEO directory.
For neo ROMs here is an example:
I have nblktiger.neo, I did not place it in a subdirectory as I said previously but I zipped it as Neo Black Tiger.zip and it is in the NEOGEO directory. The confusion comes from the fact that in the OSD the zip is displayed as a directory.
I also forgot that recently I found the complete set of the NeoGeo ROMs in the neo format and they have a descriptive name (the pack has also a bunch of other neo ROMs) these different types of ROMs are organized in subdirectories which I placed in a NEOGEO/Neo Roms directory.
For the core settings I have UniBIOS for the BIOS, NTSC for Video Mode.
As far as I can tell I have no problem but I did not test all the neo ROMs from the pack I recently installed.
The presence of the xml files when you have only neo ROMs should not be a problem. In any case the update all script will reinstall them if you delete them.
Are you sure you converted your ROMs properly?
I also have an unanswered question:
Why do many users seem to hate Darksoft ROMs and prefer neo ROMs? I previously asked but got no answer.