CraftyMech BitKit2 FPGA?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
seastalker

CraftyMech BitKit2 FPGA?

Unread post by seastalker »

Check this out:
CraftyMech BitKit2 FPGA
http://craftymech.com/bitkit-arcade-fpga/

I was looking up alternatives to Mister (blasphemy!!) to possibly ALSO include with a switcher in an arcade cab to allow for multiple EMULATED arcade games in addition to NON-emulated Mister ones (I am a stickler on the non-emulation aspects of FPGA). :)

Interesting that there was ANY other kid on the block than Mister when it came to FPGA arcade solutions. Obviously, a simple glance and you know the Mister is way more capable and can do console, computer cores and more. Still, when I think of this and the Mistex project, I am happy to know there are at least OPTIONS beyond Pandora Box/pi.

I haven't scrutinized their supported game list and if there are arcade titles not currently supported by Mister? Maybe they ported the Mister cores to that platform for all I know.

goldenage

Re: CraftyMech BitKit2 FPGA?

Unread post by goldenage »

The BitKit project started back in 2016 with just a Nibbler hardware core. It then expanded over time to add more cores focused on classic 8bit games. Hardware wise it is not in the same ballpark as the DE-10, so you won't be seeing 16bit systems like CPS-1, Neo Geo, etc.

It's a Jamma board targeted at arcade collectors (for instance no console or computer cores as you mentioned). It also features a nice Menu system with game previews.

The cores aren't ported from Mister. Believe it or not but people have been writing FPGA arcade cores for 20+ years.

There is also the JROK series which started back in 2007: Multi-Williams (Robotron, Defender, Joust), Berserk/Frenzy, Q*Bert/Mad Planets, and Taito (ZooKeeper, Qix 1&2)

Re: CraftyMech BitKit2 FPGA?

Unread post by 678 »

I liked the bitkit2 unfortunately it didn't produce good sound with the switcher in my arcade setup. So I am actually waiting for my mister to jamma adapter and will be hopefully getting my mister to run in the cabinet soon. I have had the mister for afew years and love the fpga accuracy on alot of the older 8 bit games. I really feel I can't go back to mame since I started with fpga , it is mainly about low lag for me.