AmigaVision (MegaAGS) 2023.07.07 Released with Improved Hardware Compatibility & More Analogue Pocket Configurations

limi
Top Contributor

AmigaVision (MegaAGS) 2023.07.07 Released with Improved Hardware Compatibility & More Analogue Pocket Configurations

Unread post by limi »

We are happy to announce that the latest release of AmigaVision/MegaAGS is available!

AmigaVision is the ultimate, open source Amiga setup for MiSTer and
Analogue Pocket FPGAs, emulators, and real hardware.

This is a minor update to the recent major 2023.06.06 release that improves compatibility with certain original hardware setups, and includes many more requested game configurations for the Analogue Pocket.

• Direct SCSI is now enabled by default — this improves compatibility with certain original Amiga hardware setups.
  • Additional requested game configurations for the Analogue Pocket have been included.
  • WHDLoad configurations are up to date with WHDLoad 2023-07-06.
  • Some games have updated and improved PAL & NTSC configurations.
  • Adding games with titles >30 letters as Favorites now works.

🛠️ Stay Updated & Help Us Make AmigaVision Even Better

If you find any bugs or settings that need improvements, file a ticket on the AmigaVision web site.

AmigaVision is an open source project, and we welcome contributions from the community. GitHub Pull Requests are very welcome!

You can follow us on Mastodon, Twitter or via RSS, and updates will be posted when new releases happen.

Enjoy the best of what the Amiga platform has to offer!

SegaMan

Re: AmigaVision (MegaAGS) 2023.07.07 Released with Improved Hardware Compatibility & More Analogue Pocket Configurations

Unread post by SegaMan »

Love this Projekt!
Thx for all your work!

FatSlob71

Re: AmigaVision (MegaAGS) 2023.07.07 Released with Improved Hardware Compatibility & More Analogue Pocket Configurations

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

The HDF file will not write to a CF 8GB Card it is too big! to use on a Real Amiga 1200

fierman

Unread post by fierman »

Bug/glitch: When returning to the main ags menu from within a game, a lot of times screenshots are not displayed anymore. You have to reset the amiga to see them again. This issue has been present before as well.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Ah yes - I had that issue with screenshots too

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yes, I have seen the issue with screenshots not working sometimes after returning to the launcher from a game — this is an issue that has been present since the beginning of the project, I think.

If anyone is handy with debugging Amiga E code, we'd love a hand 😄

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

FatSlob71 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:12 am

The HDF file will not write to a CF 8GB Card it is too big! to use on a Real Amiga 1200

Use the smaller Pocket version if you want to build a smaller image for a real Amiga? Then again, 16GB CF & SD cards seem very cheap, so may be the easier solution.

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

limi wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:33 pm

Yes, I have seen the issue with screenshots not working sometimes after returning to the launcher from a game — this is an issue that has been present since the beginning of the project, I think.

It does seem like on Pocket images will never load when returning from a game, which is not a behavior I’ve observed on other platforms. It’s easy to suspect the slower disk I/O but I have a hunch that’s not the case. Maybe I’ll get around to debug it at some point… (it’s a royal pain on Pocket unfortunately.)

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

It's definitely possible to get the MiSTer version of the launcher into that same state, but it doesn't happen as often as on Pocket. Has the hallmarks of some sort of race condition or failure to read from disk?

If someone has reliable steps to make it break every time, that would be a great start! (e.g. if it always happens with a particular game or set of games)

fierman

Unread post by fierman »

The screenshot issue is not unique to MiSTer , it happens with fs-uae and an a1200 as well. It should be reproducable..

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Yes, I know. Reliably reproducible is different, and the best first step to figure out what's going on. "Happens once in a while" is hard to debug 🙂

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

Thanks to the comparatively slow I/O of the Pocket the missing screenshot bug is exacerbated, so I couldn't leave it alone any longer... :)

A fix is in testing and should be included in the next release.

Tulius

Unread post by Tulius »

Shadow of the Beast no longer has the option to assign the second controller button to jump. Older MegaAGS releases had this option to enable.

Optiroc

Unread post by Optiroc »

Tulius wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Shadow of the Beast no longer has the option to assign the second controller button to jump. Older MegaAGS releases had this option to enable.

The recent WHDL installers (with the joypad option) had heavy graphical glitches so currently MegaAGS is configured to use an older one. More discussion in this thread. There might be other workarounds worth exploring to get the latest install work on Minimig AGA, but likely not. Shadow of the Beast makes heavy use of timing critical copper lists for the parallax effects, which reveals the timing inaccuracies of the AGA implementation of Minimig. Why earlier versions work better is a good question... :roll: