N64 Core

Tulius

Re: N64 Core

Unread post by Tulius »

@rhester Thanks man, I knew something were wrong with my configs... with Cache delay 10 I had bad frame rate(3-14fps) in games like Rush 2049, now in cache delay 0 the fps raised for 14-25 fps.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

Tulius wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:27 pm

What's the default config in Debug settings? Mine is here... but is the right default configs?

Anyone knows what swap interlaced does? I only get combing artifacts at 480i and thought it might improve things. Don't know if bob is implemented.

Ikefix

Unread post by Ikefix »

Bio wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:02 am

GoldenEye boots much more smoothly now! It doesn't go in-game for me, but between that and PD getting in-game, that's some impressive progress.

I thought it was just me... I cannot run anything other than mario and mario kart, not even zelda or yoshy's story, I have the database text in roms folder and on in the core menu, but no luck... I think I'll give it à try in a year or so, this core and no stable sound on saturn's core is driving me mad
Amazing work anyway, cheers!

seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

I've been following the amazing process on this core via coverage on YT: Video Game Esoterica, Pixel Cherry Ninja, and Lu's Retro Source (highly suggested channels for this and many other videos! Hello to you trio!!).

With my Everdrive, I'm not testing incremental builds personally, but I really look forward to the surprise when the words 'Nintendo 64' race past during the lightning fast 'black screen of bliss' scroll known as update_all. :D

From 'hopefully one working game by Christmas' to now, I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas rings in a release in the updater. I'm not rushing Robert at ALL (is that even possible to 'rush' him?? Robert's work already goes up to 11 and travels at 'ludicrous speed'!); ...no pressure', no expectations - just a HUGE thank you for your already stellar work!!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

seastalker wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:01 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas rings in a release in the updater.

You can have this now by editing the downloader.ini file and putting a line in there. Super simple and works great and gives you easy access to the new updates as they come out. As far as I am concerned, it is already release worthy so there is no reason to wait. Just know that not all games work, but most do.

edr

Unread post by edr »

More than 90% of the games already work very very well :).

Edit /media/fat/downloader.ini and add a section that looks like:

Code: Select all

[n64_dev]
db_url = https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobertPeip/Mister64/db/db.json.zip

And in /media/fat/games/N64 add uncompressed game files (.z64 etc) as well as a US N64 BIOS renamed to boot.rom and optionally a Euro BIOS renamed to boot1.rom

Then run /media/fat/Scripts/downloader.sh

More detailed setup/info at https://vampier.net/N64

thorr wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:15 pm
seastalker wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:01 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas rings in a release in the updater.

You can have this now by editing the downloader.ini file and putting a line in there...

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

edr wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:36 pm

More than 90% of the games already work very very well :).

And in /media/fat/games/N64 add uncompressed game files (.z64 etc) as well as a US N64 BIOS renamed to boot.rom and optionally a Euro BIOS renamed to boot1.rom

You can also have the Roms zipped.

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I don't run a separate downloader script. Just update_all. Super simple.

Bio

Unread post by Bio »

With today's update, I was able to get in-game with GoldenEye and Conker; previously the former only got as far as the menus and the latter didn't even properly boot. Very cool! Episode I: Racer also gets in-game now (though I hadn't tested this previously, I just remember seeing it on a list of non-working games before, so maybe it had already been getting in-game).

Turok 2 was getting in-game before but seems a bit more smooth now (the opening level has a bunch of fire effects and explosions right off the bat that crater the frame rate, so it's a little hard to tell).

Banjo-Tooie, BattleTanx, and Battle for Naboo still don't boot up, but I can't imagine they're too far off now.

Antoine.WG

Unread post by Antoine.WG »

mike911 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:11 pm

Anyone knows what swap interlaced does? I only get combing artifacts at 480i and thought it might improve things. Don't know if bob is implemented.

It swaps the interlaced fields. Generally leave it turned off unless you're using a CRT at 480i and, even then, you probably want to leave it turned off.

MadDog

Unread post by MadDog »

Anyone have an issue with Turok 1 (Rev 2) (MD5 039875b92c0e4fef9797ec1744877b17) not loading if the Pad 1 Type is set to 'ControllerPak' on game boot? As soon as I change the Pad 1 Type to something else and hit Reset, it loads right up. Didn't see this mentioned here and the Vampier spreadsheet says it's 'Playable' (it is) but with no notes about this.

If I change the Pad 1 Type to 'RumblePak' or 'TransferPak', the game tells me "Error, Controller Pak Damaged", only 'N64Pad' throws no error, but does tell me the game cannot be saved since there is no Controller Pak inserted. I can always swap to the 'ControllerPak' type after the game has booted, and I'm off to the races.

Strange behavior. Not sure if this same behavior happens on original hardware with this game or not. May have to dig out my old N64 and this game to find out. Hmm... :geek:

MrsBison

Unread post by MrsBison »

If i wanna update i recieve an error that it is not possible at the monent...
Sorry im new on this so what does it mean and when will it work agein ?

Just for further updates

Thanx :)

im afraid your path ends here ... Jago

iamTeddyNL

Unread post by iamTeddyNL »

Hi all, I replaced the SD card in my mister to 512GB, reinstalled it with mr-fusion and all is fine and dandy, except the N64 core.

• Mario N64 (3CE60709) boots and runs fine
  • Ocarina of Time (EC95702D) gives a black screen. Error overlay enabled gives me E0080000, then after a few seconds jumps to E0080005
  • Jet Force Gemini (B5932174) gives the same thing
  • Banjo Kazooie (FB7FFB10), no boot, black screen, no error at all
  • Loading the core, without/before loading a ROM, shows error overlay E0080045. Is this normal?

And I am kinda stumped at ideas to fix this. These roms worked fine on my old SD, other cores on the SD are also fine. Deleting the N64 core and reinstalling (incl configs) did nothing. ROMS are verified by their CRC32 hash. I got the 128MB SDRAM module which passes tests at 150MHz. I've read this thread and I've seen people reporting an issue with autoconfig, but this issue seems different. The error code would suggest a core issue but I don't understand why it worked fine before.

Does anybody have an idea, or is this a regression? I am now running newer versions of linux, mister and the core compared to my old SD.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Can't believe NOBODY is talking about Goldeneye being playable!

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

rhester72 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:36 pm

Can't believe NOBODY is talking about Goldeneye being playable!

They are all busy playing it. :lol: The only reason I am here is because I never played the game except once briefly back in the day so I have no nostalgia for it. I watched a video of it today that made me want to try it though. ;-)

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Today's update made more games playable that were to slow before (e.g. Gauntlet Legends), they seem fullspeed now (even if I can't say for sure). It seems more games work now (e.g. Hydro Thunder).

Bio

Unread post by Bio »

The in-game beginning of Turok 2 (with all the explosions by the dock) as well as the narrated section leading up to it seem to be running a lot more smoothly; it's not chugging nearly as much on the explosions.

leosmendes

Unread post by leosmendes »

Someone having a problem with the update on the 4th, everything stopped working...

Chris23235
Top Contributor

leosmendes wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:05 pm

Someone having a problem with the update on the 4th, everything stopped working...

No problem here.

leosmendes

For no apparent reason, nothing really works for me now on the n64 core on the 4th... I deleted the rbf file and updated again but the problem remains, any other suggestions?

edr

Unread post by edr »

I've seen a few recent reports of this, try moving the current config out of the way and restarting the n64 core, it will create a new fresh config.

mv /media/fat/config/N64.CFG /media/fat/config/N64.CFG.old

leosmendes

edr wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:57 pm

I've seen a few recent reports of this, try moving the current config out of the way and restarting the n64 core, it will create a new fresh config.

mv /media/fat/config/N64.CFG /media/fat/config/N64.CFG.old

now works , very thanks!

Akuma

Unread post by Akuma »

Now why isn't something like that an option in the menu-core ? I vote for a reset core config :D

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

You can put a request in the mister main repo on github and you will get an answer from Sorg if he will (consider) implement or why it is not useful or needed.

It's a valid request, because often you don't know the defaults and might want to go back to them, so you can try it.

MrsBison

Latest Coreupdate is great...

One question regarding Killer Instinct.
Timing is great
Combos can be done nearly perfectly

But when i start Arcademode there is a black screen switching so the fight has already begun until picture is visible
again. Will this be fixed someday ?

The progress of the core is insane ...

Kind regards

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Sounds like your TV has to sync because of the resolution change.
You can try to set vsync_adjust = 0 in your mister.ini to test if that is the issue or not.

MrsBison

ok ill try it THANX

Edit: Yeah !!! worked thanx !!! such a great game

I also tested Extreme G .... runs really good

Kind regards

Bio

Unread post by Bio »

I loaded up both Indiana Jones and Battle for Naboo with the latest core update. There's some graphical issues in the menus, but they both get in-game.

Does everything get in-game now? If so, remarkable.

Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

TLB is 100% implemented. Every game will at least boot now. FPGAZumpass is a god damn wizard

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Bio wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:43 pm

Does everything get in-game now? If so, remarkable.

I'm only aware of Jet Force Gemini that crashes in the new game intro, everything else should go ingame unless there was a recent regression.