000-lo.lo
neo-epo.sp1
sfix.sfix
sp-s2.sp1
uni-bios.rom

for MVS/AES and:

top-sp1.bin
uni-bioscd.rom

additionally for NGCD, but how does the core know? I checked for filename, CRC-32 values and MD5SUM hashes, but can't find any references to any of these in the core sources at all.

I'm asking because I'm trying to use the (original) CDZ BIOS when "CD Type" is set to CDZ and "BIOS" is set to Original, but I can't work out what filename or hash the core would look for under those conditions...as mentioned previously, I can't find where each existing file is referenced at all currently.

I'm sure I'm missing the obvious...can someone educate me, please?

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: How Are the BIOS Files Found?

Unread post by rhester72 »

Self-answeriing...it's not in the core, it's in MiSTer Main, specifically in support/neogeo/neogeo_loader.cpp

12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

...and the filename for the CDZ BIOS is neocd.bin.

prenetic

Unread post by prenetic »

Yeah that looks right. What I put together from this was that the three CD BIOS files (neocd.bin, top-sp1.bin, and uni-bioscd.rom) go in the NeoGeo-CD folder, the rest go in the NEOGEO folder. There's a fallback for 000-lo.lo so no need to have it in both folders. The update_all.sh script takes care of everything except for neocd.bin, which I had to find and add to the NeoGeo-CD folder myself.

Tested every OSD configuration permutation on my MiSTer and this seems to work for all scenarios.