MiSTer Multisystem SCART into Retrotink 5x not working

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
8bitafterparty

MiSTer Multisystem SCART into Retrotink 5x not working

Unread post by 8bitafterparty »

Hey guys, is anyone out there using the Mister Multisystem and successfully going scart into the 5x and if so, did you encounter any problems along the way or have some sort of aha moment I’m missing here?

I’ve researched and tried numerous .ini settings but so far I’m getting nothing but a blue screen aka no signal when attempting to go scart out. hdmi works fine so i’m able to easily change and test various .ini settings but so far no dice.

The 5x is working perfectly with other consoles and I’m using the scart cable that the multisystem guys bundled with it. I did read in the manual that their scart out is 9v instead of 9.5 or something but I’m pretty ignorant about if that would cause an issue here.

Any help or even confirmation that these two are incompatible would be great. Thanks

dazzer69

Re: MiSTer Multisystem SCART into Retrotink 5x not working

Unread post by dazzer69 »

Have you enabled composite sync in the ini file?

8bitafterparty

Yes I’ve tried that even though the multisystem specifies it’s not actually necessary with their setup.

I’ve enabled and disabled most of the classic video options people recommend to others having issues. I’ve moved the SOG switch on the back of the multisystem and I get blips of black screen but still no mister menu. Going to “status” on the 5x shows no signal being detected.

dazzer69

Unread post by dazzer69 »

I guess the best way to see what’s going on would be to connect to CRT, if possible.

8bitafterparty

True, unfortunately I don’t have a CRT with a scart input currently. I’ll probably get a scart to component converter soon but for now I’ll just play the mister in hdmi and use my splitter for 2 outs.

I thought there’s surely someone else out there who’s running the multisystem scart into the 5x but I guess this is kind of a niche within a niche within a niche situation here, hah.

8bitafterparty

Ok odd new issue here… after running through my hdmi splitter and loading the psx core, it appears much smaller. The Playstation splash screen used to pretty much fill the screen top to bottom and now it’s reduced probably 30-40 percent like I zoomed out on the image. I tried bypassing the splitter and going straight in and it’s still smaller now. Also tried power cycling the mister.

Any comments on this? Wasn’t expecting that! Tried the SNES core and it still loads as it previously did.

Bumtree

Unread post by Bumtree »

I can confirm that the SCART output from the MMS should just 'work' regardless of video setting, going straight into a consumer CRT.

I hope the variables in your setup aren't too problematic to test.

gavin

Unread post by gavin »

If you can, check if analog video sources are working on your MMS at all.

When I got mine it wouldn't do component out of VGA, or VGA directly, or Scart. It turned out to be the dip switches on the DE10 nano. One of them in particular seems to affect only the analog output, while everything else works perfectly fine.

If this sounds like the same issue, it was fixed by checking the switches matched up with the manual. Mine looked like they were right, but on closer inspection one of them wasn't quite fully over to the correct side, it was less than a millimeter, but when I gave it a little nudge everything started working perfectly.

8bitafterparty

Interesting, I’ll have to check that out then. In the mean time I’ve ordered a vga to component cable to at least have another method of testing the analog section of the MMS.

8bitafterparty

An update on the psx core smaller screen displaying…
I tried bypassing the hdmi splitter and changing the vrr mode back to 0=Disable VRR thinking that would solve my issue but alas it did not.

I’d landed on 1=autodetect VRR from EDID which was working to smooth out some blue screen transition stuff while attempting to get other settings as lag free as possible.
Thought I’d found a happy medium that I wouldn’t have to change much in the future but now I just wanna get back to the psx core being what it was.

I saw a thread where some people were having similar ish issues and the psx core was coming up slightly shifted to one side after going through a splitter so I’m assuming it may be something with that core that will be fixed in the future but thought I’d share my experience in case it would be helpful.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for this minor problem?