Help with setting video ini settings for Laserbear display

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Warren

Help with setting video ini settings for Laserbear display

Unread post by Warren »

I recently got the Laserbear display fully assembled and have used the 2048x1536@60 video setting, but the video cuts in and out each no matter the core I use. Have used various different hdmi cables so I know for sure it is not the cable. I have tried looking around for suggested settings for this specific display that used, but I have not really found anything. Anyone able to post some suggested ini settings to use?

Missus

Re: Help with setting video ini settings for Laserbear display

Unread post by Missus »

Considering this is at least the second time you've had issues with these ipad displays, from different sources mind you, it's most certainly the cables/adapters you're trying.

The laserbear LCD drivers' hardware are not much different from the DIY kits you can buy. I have heard there are varying firmware versions but the settings should be the same.

You can find much more on the topic regarding settings in the same thread you posted having issues before:

viewtopic.php?t=3373

Warren

Unread post by Warren »

Missus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:42 am

Considering this is at least the second time you've had issues with these ipad displays, from different sources mind you, it's most certainly the cables/adapters you're trying.

The laserbear LCD drivers' hardware are not much different from the DIY kits you can buy. I have heard there are varying firmware versions but the settings should be the same.

You can find much more on the topic regarding settings in the same thread you posted having issues before:

viewtopic.php?t=3373

I don't honestly believe that to be the thing because I have tried about 4 different high speed HDMI cables I have that work fine with any other device. Using any other video mode below 2048x1536 does not cause it to drop video signal in cores. I don't know what else to change in the ini so that it does not drop the video signal using 1536p.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

It's not your settings, its the cable.

High Speed HDMI cannot support 2048x1536 @60hz, you could try 100 of them and it will not work.

You need a Premium, or Ultra High Speed cable.
From hdmi.org:

High Speed HDMI® Cable
The High Speed HDMI Cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond with support up to 10.2Gbps bandwidth, including advanced display technologies such as 4K@30Hz, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p HD display to a 1080p HD content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.

https://www.hdmi.org/resource/cables

You can fix your issue for less than $10

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-2-1-Cable-O ... B08NW61F92

https://www.amazon.com/YANWEI-Certified ... B08T1M1YL7

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Stouchi-Ul ... B08CS8TPGJ

docbobo

Unread post by docbobo »

I am wondering if it is really that black and white. I’ve tried at least five different cables that work flawlessly at higher resolution with my LG monitor and they all result in those drops with the 9,7” display.

At the same time, I tried the display with two different DE10 and one works without problems, the other one drops. The only thing I haven’t done yet is switching the SD cards.

At this point I feel that it’s much more the DE10 than the cable quality.

BTW: I just bought a new cable just to be certain, and the only combination of devices that does not work is DE10 with the 9,7”. Everything else works with that cable on the 9,7” but also the DE10 with that cable on my 4k LG…

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

docbobo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:34 pm

I am wondering if it is really that black and white. I’ve tried at least five different cables that work flawlessly at higher resolution with my LG monitor and they all result in those drops with the 9,7” display.

At the same time, I tried the display with two different DE10 and one works without problems, the other one drops. The only thing I haven’t done yet is switching the SD cards.

BTW: I just bought a new cable just to be certain, and the only combination of devices that does not work is DE10 with the 9,7”. Everything else works with that cable on the 9,7” but also the DE10 with that cable on my 4k LG…

Something else to rule out would be the power supply used to power the screen. With an underpowered supply you're going to have a bad time.

Which HDMI cable specifically, what length? And what refresh rate are you running when connected to the 4k LG?

Remember for some modes we are pushing 2048x1536 @ 57-63hz

Warren

Unread post by Warren »

Missus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:18 am

It's not your settings, its the cable.

High Speed HDMI cannot support 2048x1536 @60hz, you could try 100 of them and it will not work.

You need a Premium, or Ultra High Speed cable.
From hdmi.org:

High Speed HDMI® Cable
The High Speed HDMI Cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond with support up to 10.2Gbps bandwidth, including advanced display technologies such as 4K@30Hz, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p HD display to a 1080p HD content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.

It is odd as I have permium certified cables and one of them I know for sure is because I use the same one with my 4K HDR TV and have zero issues with displaying anything in 4K and HDR. I will give it a shot and put in an order for one of those to see if anything changes . Hoping this will be the for sure fix. Will report back. Appreciate the assistance!

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Warren wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:10 pm

It is odd as I have permium certified cables and one of them I know for sure is because I use the same one with my 4K HDR TV and have zero issues with displaying anything in 4K and HDR. I will give it a shot and put in an order for one of those to see if anything changes . Hoping this will be the for sure fix. Will report back. Appreciate the assistance!

Best of luck! At least if it doesnt solve your issue you can return to Amazon with no hassle.

Also, How are you powering the display?

Warren

Unread post by Warren »

Missus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Best of luck! At least if it doesnt solve your issue you can return to Amazon with no hassle.

I am using the power supply that is included with the assembled unit. It is rated 12v 2A.

docbobo

Unread post by docbobo »

Missus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:52 pm
docbobo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:34 pm

Something else to rule out would be the power supply used to power the screen. With an underpowered supply you're going to have a bad time.

Which HDMI cable specifically, what length? And what refresh rate are you running when connected to the 4k LG?

Remember for some modes we are pushing 2048x1536 @ 57-63hz

Just bought a Oehlbach 8k cable. Problem ist worse than ever - on one MiSTer. The second one continues to work without any issues. The MiSTer non-working MiSTer is powered via a 5V 4A power supply, the display via 12V 3A...

docbobo

Unread post by docbobo »

BTW... There are zero such issues with video mode 14 (2560x1400@60Hz), which should have even high bandwidth requirements...

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Very Curious!

Provided the hardware setup, configs and software are -exactly- the same, it sounds like one if your DE-10s is faulty?

Any differences in the hardware addon boards? Perhaps isolate this by running both DE-10s with no other devices of I/O boards attached?

docbobo

Unread post by docbobo »

Missus wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:06 pm

Very Curious!

Provided the hardware setup, configs and software are -exactly- the same, it sounds like one if your DE-10s is faulty?

Any differences in the hardware addon boards? Perhaps isolate this by running both DE-10s with no other devices of I/O boards attached?

They are definitely different. The working one is on top of an Ironclad Plus ITX board. The "non-working" one is an "Ultimate Blister Pro" from ultimatemister...

That said, I just decided to use the 9,7 with the working MiSTer. I am not interested in spending too much additional time trying to find the perfect answer to this. Wondering though if there might be differences between some of the DE-10. For example, the non-working MiSTer is the oldest one that I have.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

docbobo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:49 pm
Missus wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:06 pm

Very Curious!

They are definitely different. The working one is on top of an Ironclad Plus ITX board. The "non-working" one is an "Ultimate Blister Pro" from ultimatemister...

That said, I just decided to use the 9,7 with the working MiSTer. I am not interested in spending too much additional time trying to find the perfect answer to this. Wondering though if there might be differences between some of the DE-10. For example, the non-working MiSTer is the oldest one that I have.

Well thanks for the info on your setup.
Just to add another data point, I'm using a MMS and have not had an issue. with either of my screens. One is a usb-c version and the other a Dual mini-HDMI.

Warren

Unread post by Warren »

Missus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Got the ultra high speed cable and no dice still dropping the video signal. Decided to do some investigating and tried the same cable on my 1440p monitor and it even was dropping video signal. I then decided to try the 14 video mode that is for 1440p displays and it did not drop the video signal at all. So the culprit is for sure the DE-10 Nano I have. The kind of set up I have for my MiSTer is the one that MisterAddOns sells.

Warren

Unread post by Warren »

docbobo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:14 am

BTW... There are zero such issues with video mode 14 (2560x1400@60Hz), which should have even high bandwidth requirements...

Can confirm here as well. 14 works without any issues on my 1440p monitor, but 13 drops signal.

Missus

Unread post by Missus »

Warren can you try to take your addons off and try with just the bare de-10?