MiSTer Nuked-MD MegaDrive Core

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer Nuked-MD MegaDrive Core

Unread post by rhester72 »

OK...this is crazy strange.

I don't think the core has changed since I last tested (the day before the question about composite blending was posed)...and it was DEFINITELY adaptive, because the difference is visually quite obvious.

I just retested, and it indeed appears to (now?) be full-screen blending...sort of.

With blending on or off, watch the title screen as the waterfalls pass behind the logo on Sonic 1. While they are partially obscured, they are unblended...and once they are fully visible, they 'snap' to being blended...even if blending is disabled.

That's freaking bizarre.

mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

I’ve yet to see a build of this core with proper adaptive composite blend like the Genesis core has.

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

That's the first thing i saw too, there is no composite blend anymore, only full composite filter in all screen. I'm sure it will be adapted quickly.

Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

I'm on HDMI and it's never been adaptive blend for me like the old Genesis core. All or nothing, no adaptive.

Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:17 pm

With blending on or off, watch the title screen as the waterfalls pass behind the logo on Sonic 1. While they are partially obscured, they are unblended...and once they are fully visible, they 'snap' to being blended...even if blending is disabled.

That's freaking bizarre.

I'm pretty sure that's just how the game is, it's the same on the other core.

HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Armakuni wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:17 am

I think with the A1200 it depends on use. For me using it for games combined with MegaAGS/Vision it fine, The Amiga for me was always a games machine with some scene demos on the side. I also dont mine the use of NTSC versions of games if it improves performance.

I was never a A1200 owner or user though only A500/A600.

I don't get it, are you saying that most games with the A1200 settings are running to fast?

Some days ago I was showing sensible soccer to a friend and he said "That's much to fast" and I was denying "Impossible, that's a well developed FPGA Core"....

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:17 pm

OK...this is crazy strange.

I don't think the core has changed since I last tested (the day before the question about composite blending was posed)...and it was DEFINITELY adaptive, because the difference is visually quite obvious.

I just retested, and it indeed appears to (now?) be full-screen blending...sort of.

That's freaking bizarre.

Adaptive blending has never been available in the Megadrive core. It would require substantial modifications to Nukey's VDP core, and given it's essentially a netlist-to-HDL that would be very difficult to do.

Adaptive in the Genesis core was not blurred, it was an approximation of the effect of blending, but razer sharp over HDMI. Because it was implemented in FPGA it was not able to be 100% accurate at simulating the transparency effects the way it can be done in software emulation however.

birdybro~
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Why does "update all" is still downloading the genesis core? Actually for the sake of clarity I would delete that one.

TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

I am surprised to learn that Alien 3 for Master System seems to run fine on the Nuked-MD core. This game is notorious for not booting at all on actual Mega Drive consoles. Is this a bug, or was something intentionally tweaked in the core to make this game playable?

heinzgruber

Unread post by heinzgruber »

i've noticed that favorites don't work with this core. i've already copied my roms to the correct folder (Games\Megadrive) for this core but when i set and than start a favorite only the core starts and the game don't.

KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

I've discovered that the analog output does weird things if composite_sync=1 is set for the Nuked MD and 32X cores, no other core has the problem, these 2 cores seem to be outputting a really weird (or no?) sync signal with that enabled, but outputs correct RGBHV with it set to 0.

HDMI output is obviously fine regardless.

Is this a known issue currently?

KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

TLPD-AVW wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:04 pm

I am surprised to learn that Alien 3 for Master System seems to run fine on the Nuked-MD core. This game is notorious for not booting at all on actual Mega Drive consoles. Is this a bug, or was something intentionally tweaked in the core to make this game playable?

Might be some region thing, my Australian copy of Alien3 works just fine on my unmodified NTSC Genesis via the Rondo Power Base FM.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:13 pm

Why does "update all" is still downloading the genesis core? Actually for the sake of clarity I would delete that one.

Same here, Genesis core should be downloaded manually if needed. For now I have to manually delete each time I update.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

mike911 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:40 pm

Same here, Genesis core should be downloaded manually if needed. For now I have to manually delete each time I update.

just put !genesis in the downloader.ini file and you wont need to delete it anymore

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:52 pm
mike911 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:40 pm

just put !genesis in the downloader.ini file and you wont need to delete it anymore

Last time I did that it also deleted the Megadrive core. Maybe it has changed since a couple weeks back? Edit: Did a test today still the same. !genesis deletes the megadrive core.

Retro-Nerd

Unread post by Retro-Nerd »

I would never delete the old Genesis Core. It e.g. supports overclocking which helps a lot in games with massive slowdowns.

ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

Retro-Nerd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:25 pm

I would never delete the old Genesis Core. It e.g. supports overclocking which helps a lot in games with massive slowdowns.

Same for me! I am just leaving it on mine for posterity. I might move it to a “deprecated” folder or something.

DrKastro

Unread post by DrKastro »

Is anyone having trouble booting Triple Play - Gold Edition & Triple Play 96? I just goes to a black screen. It happens on the old Genesis core too.

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

ItalianGrandma wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:07 am
Retro-Nerd wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:25 pm

Same for me! I am just leaving it on mine for posterity. I might move it to a “deprecated” folder or something.

I just don't want to have 2 SEGA Mega Drive cores in the folder and not know which one is wich.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

My problem is needing 2 sets of the same roms in different directories. If the genesis core could could be modified to look for roms in the Megadrive ROM directory It wouldn't bother me that much.

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

Use names.txt to give each of them unique names so they are easier to distinguish between them.
As for the directories, keep one as is (ex Genesis) and link the other (ex MegaDrive) to it with the ln -s command.

rhester72
Top Contributor

mike911 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:28 am

My problem is needing 2 sets of the same roms in different directories. If the genesis core could could be modified to look for roms in the Megadrive ROM directory It wouldn't bother me that much.

Softlink the directory. Done.

rhester72
Top Contributor

DrKastro wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:14 am

Is anyone having trouble booting Triple Play - Gold Edition & Triple Play 96? I just goes to a black screen. It happens on the old Genesis core too.

Same - post a bug for the core on Github.

rezb1t

Unread post by rezb1t »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:58 am

Just tested these 2 games in the MegaDrive core and they work fine. Note that I have TMSS enabled, you might need to enable it to get these games to run.

rhester72
Top Contributor

@rezb1t Hrm...I don't seem to have the option to enable TMSS (at least in the Nuked core), it's grayed out. Any idea how to fix that?

DrKastro

Unread post by DrKastro »

rezb1t wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:50 pm
rhester72 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:58 am

Just tested these 2 games in the MegaDrive core and they work fine. Note that I have TMSS enabled, you might need to enable it to get these games to run.

The option is greyed out for me as well

rhester72
Top Contributor

OK, to enable TMSS, you need to put the TMSS BIOS (md5sum 45e298905a08f9cfb38fd504cd6dbc84) in /media/fat/games/MegaDrive as boot.rom, reload the core, and enable TMSS.

However, even after doing so (and disabling auto-region, and manually setting the region to both US and EU), I still get nothing but a black screen on both games, suggesting that TMSS is not the 'fix'.

EDIT: Correction - all that's actually needed for TMSS is the 2K TMSS rom (the first 2K of the one mentioned above, md5sum d3293ebaaa7f4eb2a6766b68a0fb4609)...but it makes no functional difference at all.

rezb1t

Unread post by rezb1t »

Strange, not sure why it worked for me then

rhester72
Top Contributor

rezb1t wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Does it still work for you if you disable TMSS in the menu?

rezb1t

Unread post by rezb1t »

rhester72 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:34 pm
rezb1t wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Does it still work for you if you disable TMSS in the menu?

Yep they do, I just tried again with TMSS disabled