RBF File Structure

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
RexMendicorvm

RBF File Structure

Unread post by RexMendicorvm »

Is there a standard way the RBF files are structured? For example, is there something like a "header" that has the name of the core, how it relates to the folder structure, etc. that is uniform to cores, or does every developer do it their own way? If it is more or less standardized, is it possible to edit these values in some way (like in a hex editor)? Thanks!

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Re: RBF File Structure

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The RBF is the compiled result from Quartus. Editing it in any way would be inadvisable. Changing the core name would require a recompile of the core.

Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

What do you want to do exactly? You can use MGL files to customize a core name and change default values without recompiling.

For example you can have an "Amiga 500" and "Amiga 1200" MGL files, both uaing rhe same exact RBF for Minimig, but starting with differemt options, and saving settings separately.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... anced/mgl/

To add to the above reply, tchnically RBFs are an FPGA bit stream optimized by Quartus, so there isn't a user editable file structure in it. MGL were developed as a way to avpjd having to recompile for basic setting changes (name etc)

cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

Newsdee wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:32 pm

What do you want to do exactly? You can use MGL files to customize a core name and change default values without recompiling.

For example you can have an "Amiga 500" and "Amiga 1200" MGL files, both uaing rhe same exact RBF for Minimig, but starting with differemt options, and saving settings separately.

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_M ... anced/mgl/

To add to the above reply, tchnically RBFs are an FPGA bit stream optimized by Quartus, so there isn't a user editable file structure in it. MGL were developed as a way to avpjd having to recompile for basic setting changes (name etc)

I only discovered the MGL format yesterday (the first time I've wanted to separate Amiga 500/600/1200/Vision installs and it is awesome. I do wish I could hide the RBF now I have the MGLs named as I want them...

Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

cursedverses wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:11 pm

I do wish I could hide the RBF now I have the MGLs named as I want them...

I know it's off topic...but....
If you are talking about hiding the Minimig core itself, you can try using the names.txt file to hide it.
In the names.txt file, change or add the following line to "hide" the minimig (Amiga) core but leave your mgl's visibile:

Code: Select all

Minimig: 

I haven't noticed any adverse side effects.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@Flandango Neat tip, thanks!