Nintendo 64 Input Situation

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Re: Nintendo 64 Input Situation

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Rumble seems to work only wireless for now, but that works fine.
Assignment LEDs are all on for wired and first one for wireless.

Maybe you are on some old "zImage_dtb" image?

jordi

Unread post by jordi »

I have an AliExpress $2 usb to Ps2 and an official Sony gamepad. It works flawlessly, even with rumble.

Megahurtz

Unread post by Megahurtz »

FPGAzumSpass wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:24 am

Rumble seems to work only wireless for now, but that works fine.
Assignment LEDs are all on for wired and first one for wireless.

Maybe you are on some old "zImage_dtb" image?

That's exactly what it was. I thought that file had already been rolled up into a linux update but was mistaken.

Is there a way to recalibrate the NSO N64 controller? Or set a deadzone for it? Mine reads X:-4 at neutral and some games are picking that up as input.

FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

I'm not aware of such a function, sorry.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Does anyone have the N64 adapter from here:

https://misteraddons.com/collections/pa ... r-adapters

working with SNAC in the current core?

Longtime4321

Unread post by Longtime4321 »

The N64 adapter on mister addons is for reflex or snax

rhester72
Top Contributor

Understand...SNAX and SNAC are protocol-compatible, no? (The SNAX adapter works fine with the PSX core in SNAC mode.)

Antoine.WG

Unread post by Antoine.WG »

rhester72 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:57 pm

Understand...SNAX and SNAC are protocol-compatible, no? (The SNAX adapter works fine with the PSX core in SNAC mode.)

SNAC is still a work in progress on the N64 core.

blacklistedcard

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

Bristles wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:49 pm

I thought to get rumble, any controller has to be set to X-Input mode ?
At least that is what it says on the Mister Github Docs.
The Brawler64 rumble doesn't work, period, on a Mister. You can test rumble, and indeed any controller's rumble, at the main menu - holding the "L" button and pressing the "X" or "Y" buttons on your controller. If it rumbles, then you should be able to get rumble in cores that support rumble. If it doesn't, like the Brawler64, then you're out of luck. All my controllers with rumble, work fine using the L + X or Y buttons on the menu, except the Brawler64. So, it would be nice if this controller can get some rumble support.

The Brawler64 rumble works in the Menus prefectly fine. I get it to rumble when I pair the joystick. I just don't get any rumble in Zelda. I have to change it to xinput for the joystick to pair and map keys.

rhester72
Top Contributor

Antoine.WG wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:23 am

SNAC is still a work in progress on the N64 core.

Understand - I've read some reports of success by just hand-wiring with TTL inverters, which suggests it's working well enough that something ought to happen...I was frankly just trying to establish whether my controller and adapter is working at all (because there's no real way to tell) or perhaps the wiring pattern he chose isn't consistent with what the core expects.

I've found a different core to test with to at least validate the physical connection with his adapter.

edr

Unread post by edr »

Megahurtz wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:56 pm

Has anybody gotten rumble to work with the NSO N64 controller?

One other minor quirk with that controller. The player assignments LEDs constantly scan back and forth while using it. It never settles on a single one for me. Is that consistent with what others are seeing?

I had the same exact issues, proper NSO support was not yet included in /media/fat/linux/zImage_dtb until the Nov 08 update (there was a patched one available on the Discord). But now the Nov 08 MiSTer updates appear to include that.

So first try updating MiSTer to latest updates, as of Nov 08 appear to include all the latest NSO changes to properly support NSO N64 controller. Then in the N64 MiSTer menu change the first controller 1 to Rumble and controller 2 to ControlPak. Then try some game likes Zelda OOT etc. which has rumble support and see if it works.

Bristles

Unread post by Bristles »

blacklistedcard wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:43 pm

The Brawler64 rumble works in the Menus prefectly fine. I get it to rumble when I pair the joystick. I just don't get any rumble in Zelda. I have to change it to xinput for the joystick to pair and map keys.

I have the NSO version, and rumble does not work at all, in the menu, in the N64 core, in any core.
Just tried that 8th Nov Mister main update, as well as the very latest N64 core from Discord. Now, my Brawler64 doesn't even work. I can pair it, set it up in the main, set it up in the N64 core, bring up the menu, load a rom, but I cannot start a game, no buttons or d-pad works.
Beginning to think I should just not bother, and stick to Retroarch - at least then everything works.

Edit: Deleted all the saved inputs that were in the inputs folder, and there were quite a few for this controller. Deleted all the paired files, re-paired the pad in X-Input mode, it's working in the N64 core, but no rumble. Sigh. Rumble doesn't work in the main menu, either. So it must be a Mister-main issue.

daverhodus

Unread post by daverhodus »

Rumble works with the NSO controller for me now. I use a bluetooth adapter.

rhester72
Top Contributor

rhester72 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:56 pm

Does anyone have the N64 adapter from here:

https://misteraddons.com/collections/pa ... r-adapters

working with SNAC in the current core?

Update - after retesting (with the kind help of the vendor!), the above SNAX solution does indeed work very nicely with recent 'official' cores (in addition to his older test/alpha core on his site).

Sorry for the confusion!

mark_eire

Unread post by mark_eire »

Ultimately SNAC/X is going to be the most compatible, but to add for anyone coming across this, the Raphnet v3 USB adapter is also great for an alternative way to get original Rumble Paks working.

Outputs modern analog stick range, so works with other cores (like PSX), as well as perfect on N64 due to the stick range manipulation code on MiSTer for N64 core.
Unlikely to get the microphone and other such unique controllers to work, but regarding the other Pak's;
The Raphnet adapter can digitise Controller PAK and Transfer PAK (read + write) using a PC with the Physical Paks. Takes an extra step or two sure, but so long as your not going MiSTer to GB carts/CPAK often, works perfect!

rhester72
Top Contributor

Does anyone else observe a far wider range of motion on the analog stick than is normal?

I read somewhere that an adjustment was made to bring it more into alignment with actual hardware, but I assumed that with SNAC the controller range would necessarily be true-to-original. It seems to be about 33% "wider" than expected.

Turns out this is absolutely true, but not due to the core...it's a knock-off controller and just like other third-party sticks, it's MUCH more sensitive than the original.

Bren McGuire

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

dcubed wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:07 pm

Naturally the best choice is going to be the official Switch NSO N64 controller (or the original N64 controller with some sort of adapter). Perfect 1:1 mapping.

Are you sure that the Nintendo Switch N64 controller is 1:1 with the original? Did somebody on the internet test it?

vibes

Unread post by vibes »

Bren McGuire wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:56 am
dcubed wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:07 pm

Naturally the best choice is going to be the official Switch NSO N64 controller (or the original N64 controller with some sort of adapter). Perfect 1:1 mapping.

Are you sure that the Nintendo Switch N64 controller is 1:1 with the original? Did somebody on the internet test it?

It seems the N64 Switch controller was built to use the same limited range as the original N64 controller. See this video, which isn't a test on the MiSTer, but does show its range on PC (the relevant section is around 6 minutes in):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ia9MknVDxaI

Bren McGuire

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

vibes wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:58 am

It seems the N64 Switch controller was built to use the same limited range as the original N64 controller. See this video, which isn't a test on the MiSTer, but does show its range on PC (the relevant section is around 6 minutes in):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ia9MknVDxaI

Thanks, that was a very informative video.

throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Longtime4321 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:55 pm

Let this be a topic for discussing how the N64 core handles inputs, progress on the input situation going forward, advice, ect.

I'll start the discussion by asking how everyone is going to personally handle controlling N64 games. The N64 controller has a joystick range unique to it, and everyones gonna go about it differently. Please, share your wisdom with the public!

I just bought a couple of N64 clone USB controllers. Going to give them a go over the next week or so once i find time to install the n64 core.

If they're crap i'll buy a SNAC Adapter.

Ikefix

Unread post by Ikefix »

Lightwave wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:17 am

Bought 2 used N64 controllers for $8 each, connected with a Raphnet 2P adapter. Also picked up a Rumble Pak for $3, works fine with the Raphnet.

Hi, could you please tell me if you can do the slow Mario 64 walking with the original N64 controller? Mine is almost boolean, you touch it gently and it runs at 1000 mph

EDIT: nevermind, it works :) I use it with a mayflash 103 oh my god, it is exactly as I remember it, I just have to find a rumble

Wtf, z (crouch) fonction (not the button) does not work, even it does work when mapping it

Fixed, somehow the xbox 360 controller that was plugged at the same time was messing up the z fonction,

wookeekee

Unread post by wookeekee »

Hi.

My controller is a « PDP Wired Controller ».

Its rumble feature works on the ps1 core, but not the n64 core.

I have tried turning it on at different "moments", yet no rumble.

My guess, it's not a controller issue, but a core issue.

Am I wrong?

parawizard

Unread post by parawizard »

Does multiplayer work in the core? Looking at N64 controllers and haven't been able to settle on one yet. Is 8bitdo really coming out with some? I was thinking of just getting 4 N64 -> USB adapters and refurbing some OEm controllers

AngelicLiver

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

parawizard wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:35 am

Does multiplayer work in the core? Looking at N64 controllers and haven't been able to settle on one yet. Is 8bitdo really coming out with some? I was thinking of just getting 4 N64 -> USB adapters and refurbing some OEm controllers

Yes. 4-player multiplayer works just fine. Analogue teased a controller when they announced their "Analogue 3D" N64 FPGA console. They do also sell a mod kit for OEM N64 controllers that works well with the MiSTer core.

rhester72
Top Contributor

For anyone using SNAC and on the fence about the new hall effect replacement sticks:

https://retro-bit.com/n64-stick/

they are EXCELLENT!

I just received mine today. Installation is very straightforward, it comes pre-assembled. Range is the most similar to OEM I've seen yet, the directions/diagonals are perfect (they are nothing like the GameCube replacement sticks, which is a good thing!) and the stick feel is great. It's very easy to control Mario's speed in SM64.

Not associated with the company in any way, just an extremely satisfied customer.

parawizard

I think I may just rebuild some OEM controllers and use USB adapters. Considering the price per each modkit or the price per each tribute64 controller it's way cheaper to rebuild the OEM sticks and use an adapter.

rhester72
Top Contributor

@parawizard Sadly, I've yet to see a single rebuild kit that even approaches the quality of the shitty Nintendo plastic...I got very tired of annual rebuilds and just wanted something reliable and trouble-free. That joystick definitely hit the sweet spot.

Why USB, though? SNAC is fantastic.

parawizard

rhester72 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 am

@parawizard Sadly, I've yet to see a single rebuild kit that even approaches the quality of the shitty Nintendo plastic...I got very tired of annual rebuilds and just wanted something reliable and trouble-free. That joystick definitely hit the sweet spot.

Have you seen the kitsch bent replacement parts?

Why USB, though? SNAC is fantastic.

As long as I use controllers with good latency and fast polling I don't see why I would use SNAC. Not planning on using any accessories.

rhester72
Top Contributor

parawizard wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:50 pm

Have you seen the kitsch bent replacement parts?

Yes. They are made of the highest quality unobtainium. LOL

parawizard

I think they're just available and cheap now at least. I've only seen them in stock and resellers seeking bundles of parts.

It's injection molded so very cheap to make a lot of them.