User IO Port Without Addon Board?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
Strickhouser

User IO Port Without Addon Board?

Unread post by Strickhouser »

I was one of the lucky users to purchase a display latency tester for the MiSTer Laggy core. I have about 50 displays I use between personal and gaming club use (I am a teacher). We have a decent amount of competitions where display latency + input lag is a genuine concern. I have the original specs for most of my displays, but this tester will hopefully give me some more data points. Some displays claim 5ms while others claim 16ms. I make the assumption that the 5ms are really 5ms, but I'd like to know for sure.

Anyway, I clicked purchase before I read that an IO board was needed to access the User Port. I do not have an IO board and wasn't really looking to purchase one. I am handy enough and can solder my own usb port or whatever is needed, but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on a way around this? Can I access the User Port through GPIO? I would assume so, but there isn't any direct documentation that I have found yet. Are any of the other mini/micro usb ports on the DE-10 nano a User Port, but not directly labeled as such?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Raul3D

Re: User IO Port Without Addon Board?

Unread post by Raul3D »

The MT32 PI wiki contains information on the USB 3.0 wire to GPIO mapping. It is in the context of MT32 PI, but since all wires are mapped, I suppose it is identical for a general purpose use case:
https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... ace-pinout

I used it in the past for a "ghetto pi" with jumper cables on both ends, but I think it should work in any combination of USB/wire on either end. Worked fine for me.
viewtopic.php?t=2168&sid=9d9aa1294467b3 ... a3c8b499b4

wickerwaka
Core Developer

Unread post by wickerwaka »

FWIW, only the first four signals are used by the Laggy, so just VBUS, D-, D+ and GND.

Strickhouser

Unread post by Strickhouser »

Thank you for the information! I should be receiving the device in the mail today and will test it out this week.