Messed Up My SD Card NES Not Showing Up in Cores

edburns

Messed Up My SD Card NES Not Showing Up in Cores

Unread post by edburns »

I think I have messed up my MiSTer SD card somehow. Even though I have 47 .rbf files in the _Cores directory (with a few .mgl files in there. I don't know what they are). There are quite a few that don't show up in the OSD menu.

Specifically,

Code: Select all

Astrocade_20230407.rbf
Casio_PV-1000_20230310.rbf
GBA2P_20220813.rbf
GBA_20230806.rbf
Game Gear.mgl
Gameboy2P_20220806.rbf
Genesis_20230224.rbf
NES_20230223.rbf
Pocket Challenge V2.mgl
SMS_20230225.rbf
SNES_20230803.rbf
SuperVision_20220612.rbf
Super_Vision_8000_20230411.rbf
TurboGrafx16_20230627.rbf

I may have accidentally deleted the corresponding rom files for these.

Mitigation steps

• I tried re-running update_all.sh, with all options set to YES, but I did not get them back.

• I visited https://github.com/uberyoji/mister-boot-roms and applied this to my download.ini

Code: Select all

[uberyoji_mister_boot_roms_mgl]
    db_url = https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uberyoji/mister-boot-roms/main/db/uberyoji_mister_boot_roms_mgl.json

and re-ran update_all.sh. Now I have an additional entry in my Cores menu in OSD, after Console. "Console (autoboot)". This has the missing cores, but I want to understand why the cores are not showing up in the regular Console menu. Also, these cores seem to have different splash screens with MiSTer in the branding somehow. I didn't have that before. I just want the regular old cores.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem and how to resolve it?

Thanks very much.

Akuma

Re: Messed Up My SD Card NES Not Showing Up in Cores

Unread post by Akuma »

rename _cores directory to _cores.bak
run update_all

This should reinstall all cores and update the database.

edburns

Unread post by edburns »

Thanks for your response, Akuma. I tried that. The _Cores menu returns, but the missing entries are still missing. Are you sure this is not a matter of missing "boot.rom" or similar files?

Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Do you have the names.txt file on your card? If so the NES core might be named different due to this file. Try renaming it to names.tx_ to see if this makes a difference.

edburns

Unread post by edburns »

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:50 am

Do you have the names.txt file on your card? If so the NES core might be named different due to this file. Try renaming it to names.tx_ to see if this makes a difference.

YES! That worked! Now I will make a copy of my working SD card to keep as a backup.

Thank you very much!

Ed

Cap'n Sven

Unread post by Cap'n Sven »

edburns wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:50 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:50 am

YES! That worked! Now I will make a copy of my working SD card to keep as a backup.

Thank you very much!

Ed

Ed, I noticed that when I first started using the names.txt file, installed from the update_all script, that I must have had the region set wrong. NES was under 'Famicom' and Genesis was under 'MegaDrive'

The names.txt file cleans up your console names very nicely, and you can edit it to suit your taste however you like. You might want to give it another try, now that you know what the issue was.