Does a PS2 controller work with PSX core and SNAC?

Spartan

Does a PS2 controller work with PSX core and SNAC?

Unread post by Spartan »

Does anyone know if the PSX core work with a SNAC adapter and a PS2 controller as opposed to a standard PSX controller?

Thanks

rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: Does a PS2 controller work with PSX core and SNAC?

Unread post by rhester72 »

With SNAC, if it wouldn't work on the real thing, it won't work on the core (so i.e. if you're using some sort of PS2->PS1 adapter cable on the far side of the SNAX adapter that also works on a real PS1, it should work, otherwise no).

Soapy159

Unread post by Soapy159 »

rhester72 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:30 am

With SNAC, if it wouldn't work on the real thing, it won't work on the core (so i.e. if you're using some sort of PS2->PS1 adapter cable on the far side of the SNAX adapter that also works on a real PS1, it should work, otherwise no).

If this is the case then a DualShock2 should work with a PS1 SNAC, as a real PlayStation works with a Dualshock2

meauxdal

Unread post by meauxdal »

OEM PS2 pads work on PS1 hardware. I don't have a SNAC/SNAX but in theory they should work.

segamemister

Unread post by segamemister »

meauxdal beat me to it

https://youtu.be/sAveuz3pvZo?t=309

rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

I somehow forgot the connector and protocol are the same on the PS2. Thanks for the reminder.

naylord

Unread post by naylord »

It sure does! I find the rumble of a PS2 Dualshock works a bit better than the OG dual shock 1. My main controller I use via SNAC though is my DualAnalog since the extra long handles are so luxiourous that I give up rumble for them (it's too bad that they didn't keep that shape)

PSX SNAC adapter I think is the best snac you can get honestly. There's just so many esoteric PSX controllers from lightguns to things like the NeGCon and JogGon and a huge assortment of first party controllers like the OG/Dual Analog, Dualshock 1/2 that are all fun to use. I even use SNAC to save to my childhood memory card. It's less convenient than a virtual memory card but the inconveniance itself just makes the whole expereince even better aesthetically.