Dual SDRAM Update All Script?

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
PC_Denjin

Dual SDRAM Update All Script?

Unread post by PC_Denjin »

Hello all,

As I am a total noob when it comes to compiling the cores on my own (or similar things in general), I would like to ask whether there‘s a update all script available specifically for dual SDRAM setups?

Just recently updated my mister with dual RAM, but I am having a hard time finding the most recent compiled core for Saturn. Even on the discord channel it seems like dual ram Saturn core is not there (or I need new glasses which could also be the case to be honest ;) ).

MiSTer Consoles

Re: Dual SDRAM Update All Script?

Unread post by MiSTer Consoles »

Does the PSX core still get any benefit from dual RAM modules? Or any other core for that matter?

aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:58 pm

Does the PSX core still get any benefit from dual RAM modules? Or any other core for that matter?

It gets a measurable but completely imperceptible marginal accuracy boost to sound timing.

birdybro~
MiSTer Consoles

aberu wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:59 pm

It gets a measurable but completely imperceptible marginal accuracy boost to sound timing.

I see. I assume there is just one RBF file and the core can detect and leverage the extra RAM stick if present? I had an old 32mb module laying around that I added to my setup for grins and just wanted to make sure I didn't need any alternate versions of cores. :D

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:18 pm
aberu wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:59 pm

I see. I assume there is just one RBF file and the core can detect and leverage the extra RAM stick if present? I had an old 32mb module laying around that I added to my setup for grins and just wanted to make sure I didn't need any alternate versions of cores. :D

No there are no Dual ram/ Single ram cores
you have to download either the Dual or Single ram version.

MiSTer Consoles

FPGA64 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Gotcha. I checked on GitHub and all I see is the normal single RAM RBF. Is there a way to get ahold of a pre-compiled version of the dual RAM core?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

MiSTer Consoles wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:15 pm
FPGA64 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:21 pm

Gotcha. I checked on GitHub and all I see is the normal single RAM RBF. Is there a way to get ahold of a pre-compiled version of the dual RAM core?

I get it from Discord. There isnt a PSX dual core build thats officially created. The difference doesnt make it worthwhile other than to test you have dual ram set up correctly

Nate did an excellent tutorial on dual ram HW setup

https://misterfpga.co.uk/dual-sdram-mister-fpga/

MiSTer Consoles

Xbytez wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:20 pm

srg320 was asked directly about this yesterday (28/11/23) via a Patreon message shared with me over claims made in this thread and the other Saturn core thread about the GitHub requirement of dual SDRAM being outdated / inaccurate.

srg320 has confirmed the information posted on the Saturn core's GitHub page with regards to dual SDRAM is correct and accurate.

Is there still a separate build for the dual SDRAM setup or can the existing core determine if two RAM modules are present and make use of both of them?

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Saturn has 2 builds they are both in the Github but you must be logged into github to see them

PC_Denjin

I created a GitHub account, but I still can only see „Saturn_unstable_20231018_144d28.rbf“ in the unstable_builds folder, which I assume is single RAM. :(

In Discord I also don‘t see any dual RAM files, there‘s only the single RAM version as above in the unstable builds channel.

Is there a guide for dummies explaining how to use the files from GitHub to compile it?

MiSTer Consoles

PC_Denjin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 pm

I created a GitHub account, but I still can only see „Saturn_unstable_20231018_144d28.rbf“ in the unstable_builds folder, which I assume is single RAM. :(

In Discord I also don‘t see any dual RAM files, there‘s only the single RAM version as above in the unstable builds channel.

Is there a guide for dummies explaining how to use the files from GitHub to compile it?

Here is a YouTube video that walks through compiling the PSX core for dual RAM. I'm assuming the procedure for the Saturn core would be similar. I haven't tried this yet, so can't really speak to how easy it is though.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

PC_Denjin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 pm

https://github.com/srg320/Saturn_MiSTer ... ild_ds.yml

PC_Denjin

Thanks for the information everyone!
Fortunately the latest Saturn dual ram file is on discord now, yaaaaay (guess I would never have managed to compile it on my own, even with a YouTube video ;) ).

MiSTer Consoles

PC_Denjin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:50 pm

Thanks for the information everyone!
Fortunately the latest Saturn dual ram file is on discord now, yaaaaay (guess I would never have managed to compile it on my own, even with a YouTube video ;) ).

Did you find one from October 18th? The newest one I could see on the Test Builds Discord server was from September 19th.

PC_Denjin

Yes, the latest one on discord in the unstable-nightlies channel is from November 30th.

FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

The link I gave is the official build artefacts for the Saturn. Its triggered when SRG makes a commit

MiSTer Consoles

I found the correct server/channel. I had been looking at the MiSTer channels under the FPGaming server previously. Thanks all!