Mouse Pointer Sticking on Side of Screen for Many Games

HerrBerzerk

Mouse Pointer Sticking on Side of Screen for Many Games

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Hi,

I have this effect when I play games with a mouse, sooner or later I get a very strange mouse behavour. The mouse pointer is like sticking to the sides of the screen only going up and down very fast and you can't use it anymore. Always have to reboot.

It seems that this happens only on games where you have to use the keyboard in parallel for CTRL or CMD or ALT clicks. usually it happens after some minutes but you can force it a little bit with hard core clicking.

Im not sure if it happens on all games, I can reproduce on C&C and on Freddy Pharkas, but C&C is the easiest to reproduce because you always put the mouse on the edge of the screen for scrolling.

Others with this problem or even with a solution? I tried with different VHDs from @flynnsbit and @nml32.

Thank you.

Bas
Top Contributor

Re: Mouse Pointer Sticking on Side of Screen for Many Games

Unread post by Bas »

Probably depends on the mouse driver you use. Did you try different mouse drivers? My own VHD's all use the latest CuteMouse beta, which seems to be pretty good overall with the standard office mice by HP and Dell that I throw at it.

HerrBerzerk

All of the VHDs with this problem use the latest CTMouse driver, unfortunately. That's why I'm hoping you make a well working C&C VHD :-)

akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

This sounds like the old mouse problem which was plaguing this core, eg: https://www.misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=34027#p34027
I used to think it has to do with "mouse_throttle=" in the mister.ini, and that setting it to "1" helps, but I think some people said it didn't.
Actually, now I seem to recall it might be connected to changing the core's speed when in game.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Master of Orion has a similar issue.. on it ;-)

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

My framework can now spit out vhd's with all relevant ctmouse versions as well as multiple MS mouse drivers and memory configs. That should rule out driver glitches for the most part. I'll look into the core's code as well but HDL's are like Japanese to me: I can read three words and that's that. Will do extensive testing later this week and check for IRQ usage as well.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

Master of Orion works now, see my VHD's. I do have to note that results vary with different mice. I have quite a pile of standard office mice from the past few years, mostly Dell and HP that came with corporate laptops. The Dells seem to work a bit better although I have no clue yet why. Orion seems to be reliable now with any mouse I throw at it. If that's also true for others It'll move on to C&C.

HerrBerzerk

I can not reproduce the error on your MoO VHD, mouse is working fine here too.