Bomb Jack Test

Flandango
Core Developer

Bomb Jack Test

Unread post by Flandango »

So, as suggested by a couple of folks over on another thread, I decided to take a look at Bomb Jack and see what may be wrong.
First, I have to say that the core is written pretty well and follows the schematics pretty faithfully so it was a challenge to try and narrow down the issue...there just wasn't any clear indication of anything wrong.
So after numerous tests and signal analysis and stepping through the source code and comparing it to the schematics, I believe I found a fix for it.
This one was tricky because, as soon as you think you fixed it, it broke 10 other things.
So I am attaching a test build for you Bomb Jack experts to try it out and let me know if it's working as intended or if I introduced any new bugs.
As with the Kung Fu Master core, rename/backup the BombJack RBF in _Arcade/cores and unzip the contents in it's place (you don't even have to rename it from Arcade-BombJack.rbf to BombJack.rbf).
If nobody finds any issues, I'll submit a pull request to the core maintainer/author.
Enjoy.

Attachments
Arcade-BombJack-Fix-Test-03Dec2023.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 121 times
Spazmoid

Re: Bomb Jack Test

Unread post by Spazmoid »

This news has made my Xmas - you sir are a fucking legend - will test very shortly

Spazmoid

Having now tested I can only see one issue when horizontally orientated and flip screen is ‘on’ there is a slight misalignment on the bombjack title screen logo about the third the way down by a few pixels but the glitches in the game are fixed at the top/bottom of the screen - great stuff

Flandango
Core Developer

Spazmoid wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:43 am

Having now tested I can only see one issue when horizontally orientated and flip screen is ‘on’ there is a slight misalignment on the bombjack title screen logo about the third the way down by a few pixels but the glitches in the game are fixed at the top/bottom of the screen - great stuff

You know....I saw the original issue posted on git hub about the title screen being off when rotated but I couldn't reproduce it.
I was testing the Vertical/Horizontal (upright/cocktail) setting and everything seemed fine but now that you mentioned the Flip setting, I see it...it does it in both Vertical and Horizontal mode.
I'll take a look at that too now that I can reproduce it.

Spazmoid

Nice one thanks dude - I mean it’s all good for my setup as is and I don’t flip screen but suppose it closes out all the ‘bugs’ if you do manage - great work and thank you

Big al

Unread post by Big al »

Can I ask what the original issue was ?

Flandango
Core Developer

Big al wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:02 pm

Can I ask what the original issue was ?

The original issue is when a sprite is rendered on the top line of the play field (where it contacts the border, not the actual screen), the very first line of the sprite is replicated on the very top of the screen.
There was also some clipping of the sprite(s) where it didn't render if it went slightly over the border.
Before:

BombJack-Issue1.png
BombJack-Issue1.png (5.92 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

After:

BombJack-Issue1-Fix.png
BombJack-Issue1-Fix.png (5.35 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Big al

Unread post by Big al »

Oh I see , I did see the title misalignment, thanks for the reply.