Arcade button setup as part of main menu

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
80sArcadeKid

Arcade button setup as part of main menu

Unread post by 80sArcadeKid »

I’m not sure if it’s just me or a combination of main menu controller setup and MiSTercade, but I have a hellish time with conflicting or non-mapable buttons.

So I get that the ‘virtual Dpad setup thing in the main menu is suppose to be the ‘base’ setting for all cores, and then you can modify per core. But it never seems to play nice.

I wish there was an equivalent to that dpad setup that was a candy cab version option instead, that mapped standard JAMMA controls.

For Example, the ‘select’ and ‘start’ mappings are always problematic if you only use arcade. I map ‘start’ to 1 Player start button but there is no generic 2 player start mapping in that dpad thing and it gives me grief on most cores either not mapping at all or having to use a player control button instead.
Yet I KNOW that P2 start button is working as it works fine on SF2 with dips on freeplay.

I understand the platform is trying to cater for Consoles, conputers, trackballs and other peripherals but I really think the user setup experience would be less troublesome if you had seperate ‘config’ option for consoles, computers and arcades.

Am I the only one feeling the frustration? What have I missed?

aberu
Core Developer

Re: Arcade button setup as part of main menu

Unread post by aberu »

In general whenever I start a new arcade core I just map my buttons there in that core once and then I don't have to think about it. It's pretty quick when you get used to it.

Part of the issue is that each core is made by different devs so the button mapping won't be 100% consistent between them, as the button indexes and how it's mapped sometimes may have mistakes in the MRA file or in the core itself, so the default entry positionally won't be setup right.

birdybro~
80sArcadeKid

Unread post by 80sArcadeKid »

Yeah I’m finding out the hard way that there are a lot of cores that simply won’t allow me to map P2 Start, even though those coin + start dips are off on Mistercade.

For example some older arcade games with just 2 buttons will let me map the extra 6 buttons on my candy to coin etc, but the P2 Start is locked out for mapping in the core even though I’m likely to never play 2 player with those games. It would be better served as a coin input, but no… not allowed, I think they even lock out the MiSTercade coin free functionality as it just won’t except P2 as coin + start.

So the reason why this is a big deal for me is I’ve put the Candy in a work place with instructions sticker on what to do to make everything consistent and easy (P2 coin, P1 start). If a game allows freeplay in the dips I just set that and leave P1 & P2 as starts, easy peasy.

I guess the alternative is make B6 consistently coin up, reprint the instructions and hope that any game that needs 6 buttons has freeplay available.

First world problems hey! Lol

lagerfeldt

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

Yeah, I agree some kind of streamlining of the whole button mapping thing would be great.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

spotUP

Unread post by spotUP »

Yes please. Better arcade button mapping!