MicroSD Issue

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
IanDav

MicroSD Issue

Unread post by IanDav »

Hello all.

I've been trying to swap the Micro SD card that I currently have in my MiSTer to a larger capacity one that I have spare. I formatted the new one to exFAT then copied and pasted the full contents over from one to the other.

However, it doesn't seem to work. I tried it a second time to ensure I didn’t miss any hidden files, but still no luck. I’m not desperate for the extra capacity of the new one as the (64GB) in there now has plenty left on it, but this new one (256GB Samsung EVO) isn’t doing anything, so it may as well be in there instead.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure I did it this way when I replaced the smaller one that came with the board with the one in there now.

Any ideas?

lagerfeldt

Re: MicroSD Issue

Unread post by lagerfeldt »

You can't simply copy the contents over, you'll need to follow one of the below solutions:

A. Mr. Fusion
SD Card Flasher - ApplePi Baker (macOS) or balenaEtcher (Windows)
MiSTer Install - Mr. Fusion

Then run the update script, install theypsilon's update all, run update all. Only then can you copy over files and expect it to work.

You couldn't simply have copied over contents to a blank formatted microSD originally.

B. Bit for bit copy
You can copy the card bit for bit using dd or gdd in the Terminal on your PC/Mac, which is not a beginner task. Or use an app for this, perhaps.

C. SD migration tool
There's this new SD card migration tool. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the bee's knees for you:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5590

Requires a USB microSD card reader.

Patron of MiSTer + theypsilon + Jotego Team + Coin-Op Collection + Pierco + Nullobject

MiSTer RePlay website

Ultimate SID Collection website

IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

lagerfeldt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:26 pm

You can't simply copy the contents over, you'll need to follow one of the below solutions:

A. Mr. Fusion
SD Card Flasher - ApplePi Baker (macOS) or balenaEtcher (Windows)
MiSTer Install - Mr. Fusion

Then run the update script, install theypsilon's update all, run update all. Only then can you copy over files and expect it to work.

You couldn't simply have copied over contents to a blank formatted microSD originally.

B. Bit for bit copy
You can copy the card bit for bit using dd or gdd in the Terminal on your PC/Mac, which is not a beginner task. Or use an app for this, perhaps.

C. SD migration tool
There's this new SD card migration tool. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like the bee's knees for you:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5590

Requires a USB microSD card reader.

Thanks for the reply.

Clearly I was mistaken about the first change of card.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll check them out.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

alternatively, first update your mister files using update script.. then follow the manual set up listed in the wiki (detailed below the mr fusion setup) to install on the new sdcard, once that's done you can overwrite those files with your original sdcard files.

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
IanDav

Unread post by IanDav »

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:04 am

alternatively, first update your mister files using update script.. then follow the manual set up listed in the wiki (detailed below the mr fusion setup) to install on the new sdcard, once that's done you can overwrite those files with your original sdcard files.

Thanks for that.

I did install a program called DiskGenius which was supposed to be able to properly clone various drive types / media types, but that didn't work for some reason. Hopefully I'll get some spare time today to have a proper look at it.